Windows 10

Old 07-31-15, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Windows 10

I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10! I like it! It's Windows 7, only better.
Has some new features and programs I like, and it keeps any old programs you liked that aren't included anymore, such as Windows Media Center. If you had it, you'll still have it.
The new browser (Edge) is much improved over IE. A little more simple, I think.
The start menu is better than 7 was. The left side is what you were used to, and the right side will show all those app boxes that you saw in 8. (They're sort of side by side when I say right and left).
Just an FYI to not be afraid to upgrade. I don't think you'll be sorry.
I was originally not going to upgrade my Win7 computer, but I think I'm changing my mind.
This is my opinion only, but I think others might feel the same.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-15, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 37 Posts
I've been using Win 10 since the dev builds became available (six months?) and I believe Microsoft has come up with a product that both Win 7 and Win 8 users will be able to use without the learning curve that accompanied Win 8. IMO, Windows 8/8.1 was a good OS and I preferred it to 7 but I'm aware I'm about the only person on the planet who thinks this way.

Old 07-31-15, 10:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Everyone should be aware though that Windows 10 may not yet be on their computer as I was told by clicking the Icon that they were doing a slow release. So I still haven't upgraded but I am interested in doing so. I will miss media center though and hope at some point they bring it back.

Old 07-31-15, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Mine is still pending becky..

How were you notified to download?

How long did it take to down load?

Old 07-31-15, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Just got it.. starting the download... wish me luck!!!!

Old 07-31-15, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Mike, I think I signed up for my laptop in the very beginning, so that was ready to be installed on day 1. I have a computer that's still pending because I didn't sign up for it until a couple of weeks ago.

I wasn't notified at all about the laptop being ready. I right-clicked on that Win10 icon and picked "check status", and it showed that it was downloaded and gave me the option to install now or later.
They're supposed to email you to let you know it's ready, so I don't know why they didn't. Good thing I checked manually.

It must have been downloading in the background because I wasn't even aware of it.
It took between 1/2 hour and an hour to install. Didn't pay 100% attention tho to the exact time.

Old 07-31-15, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Just saw your other post. Don't worry, you'll like it!

Old 07-31-15, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Strange it told me windows 10 was ready and to restart my computer... I restarted and still have windows 8...

Oh well...

See what happens later...

Old 07-31-15, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
I think you have to tell it to start the upgrade after you restart it. Right-click on that Win10 box at the bottom to open it, and you should get the option to install now or install later. It probably just downloaded it.

Old 07-31-15, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Nope does not say anything on the check upgrade status. Just says ill ge a notification as it did before..

Old 07-31-15, 02:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
I've not gotten Win10 yet either. If I click on 'upgrade status' I get a message saying it will down load in a few days or weeks. We probably just need to give it time

Old 07-31-15, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
just got a note

"they are validating win 10 for my pc.
while updates have started for most pc's we are continuously working with out partners to ensure that even more pc's work with win 10.."

Old 08-01-15, 08:12 AM
I haven't downloaded it yet, maybe later. Here's a small article on upgrading that might help....

Updating to Win10: Definitely a mixed experience | Series | Windows Secrets

BINGO....1,000

Old 08-01-15, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Kicked the download off on my home netbook last night and ran the installation this morning. Then I turned off all the Big Brother settings and everything is working as expected.

Old 08-02-15, 06:08 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Windows ten! TERRIBLE.... VERY DISATISFIED!!!

Had it for about a day and a half! Reverted back yesterday!!! Guess I am going to be the only one whom was dissatisfied with it here?????? Oh Well. So be it!!!

First impressions: Intended more for tablets and other such devices with touch screens and no attached peripherals. Very soon afterwards laptop used as a desktop with full size added wired keyboard and mouse (both same manufacturer as computer) no mismatches, both stop working!!!... Had to force computer to shut down!!! using power button!!!!....

Printer (same brand as computer) failed to function. Saw no print option and no menu bar options in browser no nothing, everything or anything like them gone. Lot's of M/S ads and other assorted crap and external hard drive even got disconnected!!! Icon was there but it did nothing and still to this day still inoperative....

Now back to using 7. Brief usage and failed attempt to continue with it. Computer is an HP just 5 years old and running well still. User much older...LOL!!! and far-far-far less patient!!!..

If you like the new O/S touchy feely meant for tablet style web surfing, social media and portability without peripherals and connected wires, etc. you'll >LOVE< ten.

Bring back XP!!!......

Old 08-02-15, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Interesting cautionary article about Win 10. I don't know how accurate it is. Windows 10: Microsoft under attack over privacy | Technology | The Guardian

Old 08-02-15, 03:51 PM
Received 41 Votes on 41 Posts
Lots of downloading problems. My PC has tried to download it several times in a row and it keeps failing. Apparently this is a common problem. Don't know how to get around it yet. My son downloaded and set it up within an hour. Says he likes it.
Laptop and tablet do not show anything yet.

Old 08-03-15, 09:08 AM
Received 41 Votes on 41 Posts
Stickshift,

Several points. I agree its a concern. But no worse than any other browser or software or smartphone. They need to make up some of the money that is being spent for this free give-away. Personally I don't have a problem with it. But I think most people (mainly the young kids) don't seem to care. Since I don't as yet have Win 10, what say you clue us in a advise where to look for the switches? And last but not least Uncle Bill is minimally involved with Microsoft these days that using that tag is a bit unfair.

Old 08-03-15, 11:47 AM
I have windows 8.1 and since I installed it I have nothing but problems switched from XP because of the threat of the demise of XP. Nothing but head aches for me.

I'm looking to switch to something a novice can enjoy.
Any words of wisdom here would be a great help.

Thanks to all

Old 08-03-15, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Windows 10 works a little more like XP than 8.1 does. It's possible you would be happy with the upgrade.

Old 08-03-15, 12:23 PM
Thanks stickshift.. I'm looking for

Old 08-03-15, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm looking to switch to something a novice can enjoy.
KDE Desktop » PCLinuxOS Try a live DVD first to get a feel for it. Then install if you like it. The PCLOS forums are very friendly and helpful.

Old 08-04-15, 06:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

IMO'S....

10 is TERRIBLE!... BUGGY TOO & NOT TO USER FRIENDLY!!!...

IMO and I am an authority on my opinion......windows is trying to have one O/S that is everything to everyone everywhere on everything! Doesn't work well on anything and is a lot of work for MS.

IMO windows would due us users well if it had two operating systems. One for the set that likes to keep a smart phone, tablet and/or watch in their faces all day and the other set whom uses a laptop with occasional portability and/or a traditional desktop! 10 for the mobile crowd and high grade well operating XP version!

Divide MS up into two departments. One for 10+ then one for all those of us whom prefer the laptops and/or desktops. How Much $? OKAY. I give up! I'll buy it!...

Less stress, easy, user friendly operation and customizations, security, safety, stability and reliability equals (='s) more enjoyment & worth the bucks IMO....

Bring Back XP!!!!

MY TWO CENTS...

Old 08-04-15, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
Here's one article on the privacy settings:
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-ke...730399429.html

Old 08-04-15, 01:49 PM
Stickshift that information about Cortana and the privacy settings I think is really great and very valuable to those who want to give Windows 10 a try. I tried the earlier release that was not the finished product and it didn't have Cortana then. I was wondering if this could be made into a sticky at least until more people have Windows 10 maybe for a couple of months? It sure would be helpful to those who have never tried Windows 10 and for those who tried only the early release. I say that because Microsoft seems to be dragging its feet with the release.

Be good to keep it open for more comments and more information as it becomes available.

Old 08-04-15, 01:54 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Here's one article on the privacy settings:
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-ke...730399429.html
Are we really going to trust Yahoo to tell us about privacy? IIRC, they were one of the companies that were part of all the spying that Edward Snowden revealed.

Old 08-04-15, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
It was one article - there are many more out there and plenty which are written by people who have nothing to do with Yahoo.

Old 08-04-15, 02:28 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I'm not blaming Yahoo, for everything. They were just one player in a scheme that started from the top. I'll wait for a Windows 10 analysis from Karspersky. Here are some previous reports from them.

https://securelist.com/blog/research...alware-galaxy/

Your hard drives were RIDDLED with NSA SPYWARE for YEARS • The Register

Old 08-05-15, 09:38 PM
Does anyone know where the install file is kept? I looked in downloads but couldn't find it there just the trial version copies I downloaded before the final release. Supposedly they were going to make it easy to make a backup copy so you could put Windows 10 on a DVD-R but I haven't seen that. I have the update set for Saturday at 5:00 a.m. . Thank you for your help!

I just checked to see where to find the install file and found a link that Microsoft is providing for download of the complete version. You can make it into an ISO or put it on a thumb drive. So no need to know exactly where the install file is. I do suggest that you make a copy off of Microsoft's website as soon as you can so that you have a back up. Also don't do a clean install that is where some people have ran into trouble just do an upgrade.

Here is the link to the Windows 10 download page http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10 . You can also upgrade a computer that never received the Windows 10 invitation with the disk or a flash drive.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 08-05-15 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 08-06-15, 12:00 AM
Temporarily Suspended
According to: How to turn your Windows 10 upgrade files into an ISO disk image | ZDNet

you'll find the large installer file stashed in a hidden folder called C:\$Windows.~BT, in a subfolder called Sources. Enable view hidden files & foldes.

Old 08-06-15, 12:48 AM
Thanks Pulpo that will save some time. I didn't have time earlier to look further into it and this saves me some time so thanks again!

Old 08-06-15, 01:47 AM
If you first want to make sure that Windows 10 is completely compatible please read this post from the Microsoft forum Windows 10 compatability test - Microsoft Community . A fellow by the name of Andre there mentions a hamburger like symbol and actually he is referring to three slashes you click on those three blue slashes and it will tell you if some things are not compatible with Windows 10. This is important to know ahead of time but Microsoft isn't very clear in its information. Luckily a forum member there found this.

Old 08-06-15, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
FWIW, I'm giving up Win7 when they pry my cold lifeless fingers from around it. It works, has everything I need, does everything I need it to do, it's stable. Not going to go looking for trouble.

Old 08-06-15, 07:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm still waiting for it. My son-n-law works for MS so I asked him if he could give me some priority, he just laughed and starting talking geek language.

Old 08-06-15, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
I forget about things like download files since I have an MSDN account but there are lots of Windows 10 .iso files available out there for me so I would suppose it's possible they will be made available to the general public to some extent and for a nominal fee as it has been with past OSes. After all, it's still the license key which is the money maker for Microsoft.

Old 08-06-15, 12:05 PM
I just installed Windows 10 overnight and this morning when I woke up my laptop was almost finished working on its update. So far everything looks like it is working and some picture files I have on that laptop are still there. They say it will work with Microsoft Word 2010 so I guess I will try that out on my back up laptop first before committing my main office desktop to the change. I also hear that LibreOffice is also compatible and I did open one older file with LibreOffice on my laptop upstairs. So still some testing and getting used to things but so far not bad.

Old 08-07-15, 06:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I got Windows 10 yesterday. So far I am satisfied. Found out my RoboForm auto login could not be used in Edge. I was not very happy about that. No Explorer 11 icon anywhere. Well you can go into Edge input a webpage, click the 3 dots at the upper right hand corner. Go to open in explorer click on it. an icon will show on the task bar, pin it. Edge will remember passwords so I may enter them some day, but not today. Still looking for all my stuff.

Old 08-07-15, 06:54 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I think that you meant Internet Explorer not Explorer. Wasn't IE replaced with Spartan?

Old 08-07-15, 07:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes I meant Internet Explorer 11. Edge started out with the project name Spartan, but is now called Edge.

Old 08-07-15, 07:42 AM
Group Moderator
As Michael said, Edge is the new browser which had been called Spartan along the way. IE 11 is also included "for backward compatibility" (which I find amusing because even many Microsoft sites won't work with IE 11) but they don't make IE easy to find in Win 10.