where did the mouse go?

Old 08-08-15, 05:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 74
where did the mouse go?

My laptop downloaded/installed Win10 last night but now I have no mouse/cursor
I even tried hooking up an external mouse but still nothing

All I can do is wake the pc up by pressing any key but there is no navigation or ability to shut it down other than the on button. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-15, 05:34 AM
It's happened to me a few times (not related to Win 10; but XP) and I had to re-install the Mouse Driver.

Can you go to the equivalent of MY COMPUTER and see if there's a Mouse actively recognized ?

Old 08-08-15, 07:11 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Hold down the windows key between the control & alt keys & press R. In the run box, type devmgmt.msc & press enter. Use the arrow & enter keys to go to the mouse driver & try to update it.

Old 08-08-15, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, I got to the device manager and can see the 'mice and other pointing devices' but then nothing works including the arrow buttons

Old 08-08-15, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
Did you try shutting it down, even if you have to use the off button? Sometimes, when it restarts, things will go back to normal.

Old 08-08-15, 09:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I tried that earlier but it won't hurt to try again. If laptops didn't cost so much or I was rich - I think I'd take a hammer to it!

Old 08-08-15, 09:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Rebooting didn't help.2222222222

Old 08-08-15, 09:37 AM
mark -

I have W7 and you can switch windows - get into the device manager window - and thus be able to use the keys, by using the Alt-Tab combination and stopping when the device manager window is selected.

I never really use this but seems like you have to hit the Tab key one more time after you select the device manager window. Maybe it's just me (need more coffee, lol)

Oh neato - you can use Right Arrow to expand a device manager entry, Enter to select, Ctrl-Tab to move through the tabs for the device, and Tab to move down the entries. Shows what I know, that's all news to me. Without a mouse I'm lost - probably as you feel now.

Last edited by zoesdad; 08-08-15 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-08-15, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
Can you get around with just the keyboard? If so, go to Start, Settings, then Update and Security. Then click on "check for updates". It'll look for new drivers for your devices.

Old 08-08-15, 12:33 PM
I had the same problem. Use the tab key and enter key to go under settings, devices, mouse and touchpad, then additional mouse options. Under additional mouse options you may only have to select enable device or go under properties and select roll back driver.
I found this advice on the Microsoft forum not sure if it will help or not. One suggestion I have though is if you are using a PS2 mouse switch to a USB to see if that will help. AVG caused me trouble with my mouse and keyboard so if you have that then try removing AVG and see if that helps.

Old 08-08-15, 02:47 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Ok, I got to the device manager and can see the 'mice and other pointing devices' but then nothing works including the arrow buttons
Sorry about that. Try the tab key when you get into the device manager, then the arrow & enter keys.

Old 08-08-15, 04:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, I've got an external mouse to work Still can't get the touch pad to work. Under mouse properties there is a red icon called ELAN which is disabled - does that need to be turned on?

Old 08-08-15, 05:43 PM
Elan is a mouse driver usually on laptops enable it and it should start working right for you. I usually disable tap to click which for some reason on my laptop was enabled again when I upgraded to Windows 10. No other problems though with the mouse just a slight annoyance.

Old 08-09-15, 03:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks!!! that fixed it

Old 08-09-15, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, I know how to fix it but how do I keep it fixed? Apparently ELAN gets disabled every time the pc is shut down

Old 08-09-15, 05:00 PM
Marksr I just saw your post and it took me a while to find the device manager but I finally did I don't know who the people were who programmed Windows 10 but they make things more difficult. Go to the start menu and look for settings and click on settings and now click on System. See where it says About click on About and then you should find Device Manager and from there you should be able to find the Elan driver and be able to make it the default. At least that was the way it worked with Windows 7 but I didn't have a chance to look it over today trying to do several things at once today.

Old 08-10-15, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I couldn't figure out how to make ELAN the default but I was able to update it which seems to have fixed the issue.... thanks guys!!

Old 08-10-15, 03:30 PM
That is great marksr I am glad it worked out for you and you were able to update the mouse driver. It is strange though that your upgrade didn't include the mouse. I have updated 2 different laptops both a Toshiba and a Dell and both with different drivers for the mouse. Maybe your upgrade was a corrupted download now that the mouse problem is fixed though everything should be fine. Let us know if you need any more help.

Old 08-11-15, 03:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
On another note, the strange thing is my laptop which isn't turned on every day now has Win10 [was 8] while my desktop [Win7] which is on most of every day has yet to download 10 ... and the desktop had 10 reserved a week or two before the laptop ??

The good thing about the mouse issue is I now know more about operating a pc, especially without a mouse although I doubt I'll ever make it to geek status

Old 08-11-15, 10:18 PM
I know what you mean about how Windows 10 is distributed. On my entertainment center desktop that I built for my living room but will soon retire to my office, as I now have a Roku, It has been on almost daily and received the invite but no download yet. On one laptop I bought at police auction that had never had Windows 7 activated until several months ago I have never received any invite for it. So I guess eventually I will download the full version of Windows 10 and then make a disk if I don't get the notification.