Windows10 Executables

Old 08-09-15, 05:48 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Windows10 Executables

Where the executable is located for the following?

MS Edge
PowerShell
Windows Update

I would like to have them in my ClassicShell Menu

Old 08-10-15, 08:03 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Windows update is gone. Not sure about the other two.

Old 08-10-15, 08:29 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Try c:\windows\system32

Old 08-10-15, 03:29 PM
According to Services the MS Update executable is now svchost.exe but clicking on that it does nothing. I find the new MS update badly designed because you have no way to control which update you want and neither you have way to stop the download.

There is also an entry in the registry at HK_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX. If you change the setting from 1 to 0 it suppose to revert to the old style Updates but when I try to do so it says "Some registry settings can only be modifies by the system". So no luck there either and I dont like this.

I hope later on someone will find a way to change the above

Old 08-10-15, 04:10 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What is svchost.exe And Why Is It Running?

svchost.exe handles many executables not just windows update.

Old 08-10-15, 05:18 PM
Very good article Pulpo, thanks

Old 08-11-15, 09:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
That's one of the knocks against Windows 10 - you lost control over updating.

Old 08-11-15, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
They were pretty upfront about the upgrade thing. It wasn't any secret. If it's that important to control, maybe having 10 isn't a good idea. I've always had my computers set to automatically update anyways. Why wouldn't you want it to update when it needs it?

Old 08-11-15, 10:54 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Many people would have been okay with automatic updates but time after time, the updates weren't tested properly & they caused more problems than they had fixed. The quality assurance wasn't there then. Why should we think that it will be there now?

Old 08-11-15, 11:01 AM
S
Group Moderator
I certainly have no belief the quality of the updates will be increasing.

I have updated machines at work and a netbook at home but my regular home PC has not been set to download and install 10 as I'm waiting to see what I think of it in use first.

Old 08-11-15, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
But how would one know ahead of time which are OK and which are not? The troublesome ones were eventually updated to fix the problem, so at some point, we have to update anyway, no?

Old 08-11-15, 11:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
With my job, I generally know which updates are problematic within a day or two of release. If I wait a few days to download and install updates, I'm usually able to avoid the problem children.

Old 08-11-15, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
I'm not sure the average person will know which are problematic or not. Some people don't know a lot, period, and if it weren't for auto updates, their computers would be left back in time, lol!

Old 08-11-15, 11:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
True but it would be nice to have the option - make the default setting to download and install updates automatically but let the user change the setting if they desire. That's the way it has worked up until 10 so the issue is some control was removed and for a control freak like me that is never well-tolerated

Old 08-11-15, 11:50 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm not sure the average person will know which are problematic or not.
They may not have known right away when they woke up on Wednesday morning which was the morning after patch Tuesday & there was a problem with their PC. However, they googled it or they asked someone else & that person told them. Eventually, it clicked.

Old 08-11-15, 04:44 PM
I will never allow automatic updates period. Just a few years back (I think I had Vista then) the updates had a new driver for my display and I said Great! I will get a better looking display now. Wrong! that update s#$ew my laptop so badly I had to do a complete re intsall.

Rightly said above that the quality control is not there anymore and is getting worst since MS let so many go last month. They straggle to catch up with the competition and have no success. They did not learn from 8.1 neither with the 10. They try to have one OS for both the PC's and mobile devices and this will never work. Windows10 is full of restrictions and consumers don't like that, they like the freedom to do whatever they want as it has been with earlier windows.

Old 08-11-15, 04:54 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I can see that you are on a mission to stop automatic updates & I think that's a good idea. Please let us know if you find a way around it.

Old 08-11-15, 06:32 PM
Sure thing Pulpo, glad to help with what I know so far.

From one link which I forget, they said in order to get back the old style updates go to
HK_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX
On the right side of UX, change the value from 1 to 0
But my system did not allowed me to do this change saying that despite I’m the administrator, this key can only be modified by the system. The first link below however show me how I can elevate my account and doing so I was able to modify that key. But now I don’t know how I can open the old style updates. I have nothing in my control panel related to updates or anywhere else in my laptop.

The other links are also related to the same subject and did them all but again I can’t find how to open the old updates since windows10 has nothing related.

But one of the links below says how to get my Internet connection “metered” and that is what I want right now. I only have 20GB download space per month from my ISP and since I downloaded windows10 3 times (by mistake) I’m almost to my limit until September-10.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/take...registry-keys/

http://www.askvg.com/fixing-windows-...stall-problem/

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-w...administrator/

I dislike very much to have MS telling me what I can / can’t do with my laptop and I think the majority of the consumers feel the same. We want to have the freedom to do with our OS as we pleased and I think an idiot at MS thinks otherwise. Well good luck MS, your idea is bad business.

I know that win10 is saying the updates are automatic and can’t be turned OFF but at least I thought they will give some flexibility as to when to download or to stop an update. There is a setting to schedule updates at a specific time but in my laptop it does not work and basically you have no control what is downloaded and no way to stop it. Even when it starts downloading an update, I turned off my laptop and ON again after a few hours and the bloody update started again and used some of my limited MB. That is ridiculous MS.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: