Pop ups

Old 08-26-15, 10:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pop ups

This is really getting annoying. get a pop up in the middle of the screen click the X to close it click on a forum get the same pop up again. Go to make this post I get the same popup again Like really?

EDIT after clicking submit I got the same popup again.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-15, 12:29 AM
Just so you know flirty1 this post will probably be moved to computers. I think I can help you though depending on your browser a pop up blocker may already be installed as in the case of Firefox and I believe Internet Explorer has a pop up blocker built in too. I haven't really used Internet Explorer in a very long time. Google Chrome I know doesn't have a pop up blocker but you can add one by going to Extensions and adding it on. With Firefox look for the 3 slash marks to the left and then look for options and go to content and turn the pop up blocker on.

Google Chrome has the slash marks in the same place and as I stated above you will have to add a pop up blocker by looking for an extension. Whatever browser you are using I would add ad Block Plus too and with Firefox look for Add Ons instead of Extensions in Google Chrome and then just add that to your browser and you shouldn't have any further problems. If you do have problems though still use an anti-malware and your anti-virus and scan for viruses. If one doesn't catch the virus if you have one the other program will.

Old 08-27-15, 05:08 AM
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
hc, I'm using FF and my slash marks are to the right .
Flirty, I understand your aggravation 1000%. It was unreal that the people who design those things would expect to attract favorable customers with such an annoying approach. I activated the pop up blocker (and I'm an idiot on computers) and all has been fine since. What a relief.

Bud

Old 08-27-15, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What was it advertising? .

Old 08-27-15, 05:39 AM
I think it's the "RAID" Pre-Moving Pest Control ad over in the right hand margin of this Site . . . . at least that's the one I've been complaining about to the doityourself webmaster this week.

It pops up about every minute . . . . and I've added the URL to my list of banned pop-up ads.

Old 08-27-15, 05:46 AM
Temporarily Suspended
flirty1, which version of Windows & what browser are you using? Have you tried anti malware from malwarebytes.org ?

Old 08-27-15, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 137 Votes on 129 Posts
Yes, it's the Raid ad. Funny that their ad is about as pesky as the bugs are. I prefer Adblock to Adblock Plus.

Old 08-27-15, 05:19 PM
Received 45 Votes on 41 Posts
Well, just want to add that I have Firefox, with the pop up block box checked, don't have this problem on any other sites, but it is beyond annoying on this site. Have fun.

Old 08-27-15, 05:27 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Are you saying that there is a problem with the DIY site? If that's what you are saying, I don't have any pop ups here.

Old 08-27-15, 05:28 PM
Raid should be made aware that this annoyance has just the opposite affect that one would want to achieve. I'm not moving, and I now have a very negative attitude toward the name Raid . . . . rather than a positive name recognition.

And I'd spend far less time browsing around on this site because of the irritation.

Our Web Master ought to be conscious of that fact.

Old 08-27-15, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 137 Votes on 129 Posts
Our Web Master ought to be conscious of that fact.
Definitely. "In your face advertising" has the opposite effect that advertisers are going for.

Old 08-28-15, 07:07 AM
I get the same popup and it's ONLY on this site so I suspect it's another revenue stream for the owners. At least Google Adsense has the class to keep their junk in the margins.
I use Firefox and do have popup blocker enabled. This forum is not in the "Allow" list.

It's especially annoying when I attempt to reply to a post the words I'm typing slows and stops for several seconds, the window goes gray, the Raid ad pops over. I dismiss the ad and then can continue typing. Definitely discourages participation.

Old 08-28-15, 07:16 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Reset your FF settings. Click on options in the bottom right had corner or on the double S in the upper left corner. Click revoke temporary permissions. Then reload the site. Click on the options again & only click Allow doityourself.com

If you have problems viewing the site, I'll post the settings that I use.

Old 08-28-15, 09:42 AM
Pulpo,
Which version of FF are you using? I have 40.0.3 (latest as of today) and don't see "Revoke..." anywhere.
I have an Exceptions list for the popup blocker and previously had cleared DIY from the list. I guess this also means I won't be getting email popup notifications anymore...

Old 08-28-15, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 38 Posts
There was apparently something wrong with a filter/timer on the site. Issue should now be resolved such that the ad should not be seen more than every 24 hours.

Old 08-28-15, 01:00 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Guy48065, I have version 40.0.

Old 08-28-15, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by stickshift
". . . There was apparently something wrong with a filter/timer on the site. Issue should now be resolved such that the ad should not be seen more than every 24 hours . . ."
Thanks for looking into it. That irritation seems to have finally come to an end.

Equated to the once per 24 hours, I've fulfilled a lifetime quota for Raid this week.

I'll resent this for the rest of my life . . . . but only when I see a product from Raid !

Old 08-28-15, 08:52 PM
Yes it was the raid home moving ad. Im running windows 10 with FF. I don't use the browser that comes with win 10 only FF and opera.

Old 08-31-15, 04:23 PM
So the RAID Pop-UP is back . . . . someone must have re-set it to pop-up every 24 seconds instead of every 24 hours.

Regardless of how many thousand times I see it, I'm still not in the mood for moving, and when I do I definitely will not be considering RAID

This is as good a time as any to say that Raid Fly Paper is also worthless . . . . it lacks any scent to draw flies to the sticky surface.

But my bigger beef is with their annoying Pop-Ups which disgust me !

I hope these posts get picked up on google !

Old 08-31-15, 04:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Vermont, are you running No Script? If not, enable it.

Old 08-31-15, 09:21 PM
Yep that stupid ad is back. if the owners think that we are going to run out and by a can of raid because of a pop up that comes up every time you click on something they got another thing coming. Enough of this. Time to get some ad blockers. until they fix the error for good and stop rubbing products in our face this is what we have to do.

Old 09-01-15, 06:57 AM
I'm seeing the Raid ad only at the top of the right margin this morning--and that's fine. I've made no changes to this PC since the ineffective ones tried last week.