pc speaker replacement

Old 08-29-15, 02:32 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
pc speaker replacement

I need to replace one of the external PC speakers. The two photos below are the of the one I need to replace. I found one on ebay, same size (3") and same ohms (4) but it happens to have a different number on the back otherwise it certainly looks identical in every other way. The link provided below is of the ebay one I found and am wondering if there's any reason that shouldn't work. Any comments appreciated.

3" Speaker 4 Ohms | eBay

Old 08-29-15, 03:01 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't tell clearly from the pictures but it looks like the ebay one has a heavier cone suspension on it. That might make it sound slightly different on the lower frequencies, but aside from that it should work fine.

Old 08-29-15, 03:18 PM
By lower frequencies do you mean bass? I actually use the PC speakers with an MP3 player of mine, they are powered speakers the kind you plug in. Think if there is any slight difference it would be noticeable?

Old 08-29-15, 08:05 PM
B
Generally speaking the tougher the suspension the more power required to move the cone so you may have to apply a bit more power to get the same performance but overall sound quality shouldn't be affected.

Old 08-29-15, 08:44 PM
A bit more power... probably means just need to turn up the volume a little then to get the same performance?

Old 08-29-15, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,611 Votes on 1,483 Posts
Looks like a pretty close match. It should make a good replacement.

You could buy two and change them both if you're worried about exact matching.

Old 08-29-15, 08:56 PM
Looks like a pretty close match. It should make a good replacement.
You could buy two and change them both if you're worried about exact matching.
Good to hear you think it should make a good replacement. I'll go ahead and get the one; the other one is still good and I'm not that worried about exact matching. Thanks PJ.

Old 09-01-15, 04:13 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If at all possible, connect your PC & TV to your home stereo. I connect my TV through the set top box aka cable box. It's so much better than those little speakers.

Old 09-01-15, 08:28 AM
If at all possible, connect your PC & TV to your home stereo. I connect my TV through the set top box aka cable box. It's so much better than those little speakers.
As I mentioned I actually use these powered PC speakers with my mp3 player, not with my PC. I've used this particular set of speakers with the player for years. The sound quality is surprisingly good for their size, and superior in comparison to other similarly sized PC speakers I've tried. They together with my player provide for a me a quite adequate "homemade boombox" but now one of them has a blown coil and thus my desire/need to replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: