Can’t Open PowerPoint files from Explorer

Old 09-02-15, 12:22 PM
Can’t Open PowerPoint files from Explorer

I have windows 10 and office student 2013. Haven’t used PowerPoint a lot but I made a slide show the other day and when I click the file (.pptx) in the explorer my printer comes ON and not the file !

When I click any .xlsx or .docx in the explorer the files open as they should but not any .pptx file. When I start PP from the start menu and select the same file it opens ok. Even I saved that file again with the same name but still when I click on that file it opens my printer

Checked the file association and all are set as they should

In the programs and features I click the office 2013 and said to repair the office, it did its thing but the results are the same

Any ideas where else to look for?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-15, 03:46 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Are you getting an error message? What happens if you right click, on the file, left click on open with & choose pptx?

Old 09-02-15, 04:40 PM
When I click on the file, I get a small printing progress window which I can’t close but I have to go to the printer’s folder, click on the file name which is printing and select from the menu “Cancel”. I have no idea why this happens.

When I right click on the file, I select the PP exe which is the default, and I click on “always use this….”

Old 09-02-15, 05:42 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Wait a minute! I thought the original problem was opening a file, from Windows Explorer, in the correct program. At that point, the printer shouldn't be involved. Start from the beginning. Explain it again.

Old 09-02-15, 06:16 PM
It’s strange Pulpo but that’s what happens. On the attached first image, at the top it says “Islands from Billy.pptx” and that’s the Explorer window in the background. Now when I click on that file, the window you see in the foreground comes up and you can see next to EPSON it says “Microsoft PowerPoint…..” I just snipped the images so I can show what’s going on

The next image shows when I went to the printers folder to delete the file and you can see the document name my printer is trying to print is the same file “Microsoft PowerPoint – Islands from Billy.pptx”, 25 pages slide show.

I have no idea why this happens and only happens with PP. Excel and Word are working fine

Attached Images   
Old 09-02-15, 06:20 PM
BTW I forgot to mention in the second image under "Status" it shows "Error-Pr..."

That's because I have my printer OFF since I don't want to print the 25 pages

Old 09-02-15, 06:31 PM
Temporarily Suspended
A quick search found the following quote from:
https://techjourney.net/cannot-open-...in-windows-10/

"The issue seems to happen as Windows 10 and PowerPoint app try to protect and block suspicious files from been accessed or executed. Try the following fixes which can help to resolve the issue."

That site mentions error messages which you don't have. However, there seems to be a power point problem on Windows 10. Apparently, you aren't the first to have a problem.

Old 09-02-15, 08:10 PM
Thanks Pulpo, very interesting link but following the suggested repairs did not fix my weird problem.

Next option is to re install Office 13 which I will do later because I bought a piece of paper for $130 and then with the key on that paper I have to go to MS site and they download / install the Program.

I hate all security with MS, one day I will give up and go for good with Linux / Open Office

Old 09-02-15, 08:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't know that Linux is the answer. I was lucky enough to meet two guys who ran a newly found ISP, around 1998. They were Unix guys, FreeBSD. It was before the Linux fad hit. I've tried many different distributions of Linux. The only distribution of Linux that I have right now is Backbox. It's a penetration distro.

In any event, another thought that I had was that the student version of Office could be the problem. Could the professional version work better?

Old 09-02-15, 09:51 PM
I personally don't think it matters whether you have the student version or the professional version. However uninstalling and then reinstalling sometimes requires having a chat with Microsoft as your license I am sure is only for one install. Also where you are opening the file from might be part of the problem especially if you are trying to open it with your browser. If you look at the bottom of the screen where it shows a file folder that is where you want to open your file.

That being said though once you open an e-mail with a PPT attachment you should be able to open it from any browser unless your anti-virus is blocking it. An alternative would be to use either OpenOffice or LibreOffice both available for free for Windows and both can open and create Power Point Presentations.

Old 09-03-15, 06:29 AM
I don’t have any PP files from emails / web, they all are created by me. Since I bought Office Home Student 2013 I have re install it at least half a dozen times in windows 8.1 / 10 and I did it again last night but did not fix my problem!

I also run the command “sfc.exe /scannow” but again did not fix anything. Most likely if I re install Windows will do the trick but I’m not ready for that yet

I posted the problem I have in a MS forum and when / if I get a reply I will post back

Thank you for the help

Old 09-03-15, 06:35 AM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like there is a bug in Windows 8.1 & 10. Boot to safe mode & see if it still happens. Are you running Norton or some other worthless AV?

Old 09-03-15, 07:15 AM
I tried to boot to safe mode by hitting F9 or ESC at boot time but it didn’t work, probably windows 10 is different than 8.1. I will try later

I have never used any AV software and never had any problems

Old 09-03-15, 07:33 AM
Temporarily Suspended
What happened to F8?

Old 09-03-15, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
I'm assuming this is mainly a curiosity question, because I don't understand what the big deal is about opening the program first, to access your file. Seems like a lot of wasted time and effort trying to fix something so insignificant, expecially since you say you hardly use the program.

Old 09-03-15, 09:21 AM
Temporarily Suspended
It's funny that you should say that. When I managed a network for a mortgage company, I would give a user an alternative way to do something & the response was "Oh no, that's an extra click. It's not supposed to work that way".

Old 09-03-15, 09:58 AM
In windows 8.1 I used F9 at boot time and it gives you a lot of options but no safemode. I will try soon to get windows 10 to safemode.

You’re right Shadeladie not a big deal but we all have our way working on PC’s and there is no right / wrong way, it’s just our way. Although I have all my programs in the start menu (ClassicShell) I never use this menu because I’m used from way back to work from the Explorer. In there I know where all my files are and all I got to do click on the file I want to work with.

With the start menu there are a few more clicks to achieve the same. Open the program, find the file you want to work with and when you’re done make sure to save the file in the right place I never use the Documents Folder for anything, I have my own directories for the various task I do.

In addition, I would like my PC’s to work like a clock! Anything which does not work as it should it bugs me, lol

Old 09-03-15, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
Probably a stupid reply since this is nothing familiar to me but it seems like you are some how invoking a shortcut for the printer. It should be Ctrl+P but who know what weirdness might be a foot.

Old 09-03-15, 10:18 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Ray, the printer is a secondary problem. The main question is that of a file association not being recognized by Windows Explorer.

Side note: Many people confuse Windows Explorer with Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is a browser that allows users to view web sites. Windows Explorer allows users to view Hard Drives & what's saved, on them.

Old 09-03-15, 11:04 AM
I got windows 10 in safe mode. Clicking on a .pptx file now I get the message “Something went wrong. Try to repair Office”

Went to repair the office and when I select I get “Something went wrong, unable to start the program. Error Code 1084-13”

Another interesting thing I discover; when in safe mode none of the Office2013 programs work from the start menu. I get “Something went wrong. Try to repair Office”. But clicking other programs in the start menu works like MS Access2010 and Macrium Reflect.

I will search to see what I can get out from Error Code 1084-13

Old 09-03-15, 02:07 PM
Are you running Norton or some other worthless AV?
A little opinionated aren't we?

Old 09-03-15, 02:17 PM
had one reply from the MS forum and is attached here for info. The link is at the top of the doc if you want to sign in to view all.

Following what they say I get "Office is up today"

Attached Files
File Type: doc
PP.doc (31.5 KB, 137 views)
Old 09-03-15, 02:54 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Kolias wrote:
Following what they say I get "Office is up today"
I'm not sure what that means. Error 1084-13 recommends to run sfc /scannow. I didn't download the attachment that you posted. That would not be practicing what I preach.

Msradell wrote:
A little opinionated aren't we?
It's all based on facts. Fact #1, Norton has been known to interfere with other programs. It's not the first time that MS Office has been affected. Fact #2, it can take a couple of weeks for any AV company to add a virus signature, to their .dat files which leaves the machines that they are supposed to protect, vulnerable. Fact #3, as soon as Symantec buys a company, it goes to hell. Norton is only one example. Partition Magic is another. Fact #4, locking the registry is instant protection against viruses that depend on .exe files to run.

Old 09-03-15, 03:17 PM
The attached image is a snip from the doc I posted earlier. Basically they said to open any office program and in the settings click the "Update Now" button but since I re installed Office last night I got back the message "Office is up today"

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-15, 03:27 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Is the letter that you received from Bryan saying that Protected View is the problem? As Shadeladie said, you just might have to open Power Point first. It's not worth all the hassle, to try to fix a Windows 10 bug.

Old 09-03-15, 05:30 PM
I fixed the Protected View issue but it did not correct the problem.

I agree my problem is not worth the hassle but soon or later I know I will have to re install Windows 10. The reason is that MS is offering the 10 as a free download which I got and install as an “Upgrade”. As I understand, you must first upgrade your windows 8 to 10 BEFORE you do a clean install of windows 10. Since there is no product key for windows 10, the upgrade registers the hardware of your PC with MS and after that you can do a clean install if you wish. Obviously, with the upgrade all the garbage / settings you had on windows 8.1 becomes part of the 10

I did not pay attention to the installation instructions and ended up with tons of extra work because I choose the clean install and all went fine but later I noticed windows 10 was NOT activated and the only way to activate it was to do first an upgrade. So I had to re install windows 8.1, download again the windows 10, install it as an update and after that I noticed windows 10 now is activated.

So the next step is to do a windows 10 clean install

Old 09-03-15, 05:41 PM
What Shadeladie says certainly makes sense to me, but I know what kolias is talking about also – bugs the he** out of you! lol You better cool it kolias or you’ll have a nervous breakdown, this MS stuff is a never ending source of bugs (just kidding)

When I right click on the file, I select the PP exe which is the default, and I click on “always use this….”
Doesn’t the above mean there is not a problem with File-Application pairing ? It just seems like the click is being interpreted as a “Print” command rather than an “Open” command. Seems like this bug doesn’t fit the bug MS is describing above. But maybe I’m missing something.

Old 09-03-15, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
It just seems like the click is being interpreted as a “Print” command rather than an “Open” command.
I suggested that but Pulpo pointed out:
Ray, the printer is a secondary problem. The main question is that of a file association not being recognized by Windows Explorer.
Did I miss the reply to what happens when you right click and choose open with? If it worked why not check remember.

Old 09-03-15, 07:49 PM
Kolias for a while anyway Microsoft is offering a free download of Windows 10 for 64 or 32 bit systems if you can't find the install files for Windows 10. As I said in a previous post about Windows 10 you need to do an upgrade and not a clean install which Microsoft never tells you and that is where you get into trouble. Here is that link again for those who may be interested Windows 10 with the above link you can make a DVD or put it on a 4gb flash drive.

Old 09-03-15, 08:06 PM
I got my Windows 10 on a DVD but it still has to connect to MS to finish the installation. So what we get on the DVD is not the complete program and after the installation you are not done, there are the updates....

Old 09-04-15, 09:37 AM
OK kolias – looks like you are possessed! Looks like you need an exorcist. (lol – just kidding. What good is it if you can’t joke a little, lol).

But you never really answered the “right-click” question. I assumed (don’t know about the others) from what you said that when you right click and choose OPEN from the menu – that works. Or when you right-click and choose OPEN WITH you see PowerPoint as the “Recommended Program” and you make sure the check box is checked for “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file”. And if you click OK from that dialogue box PP opens.

If that’s correct it is not a File association problem. It seems to me you might be able to eliminate the W10-Office interface/install as the problem, if you install W10– but delay installing Office. If you then click on a .pptx file you should get a popup indicating W10 doesn’t know what Application to open for this file type. However if instead you get the file queued for printing then W10 is screwed up.

At least that’s the way it seems to me.

Old 09-04-15, 01:39 PM
Hey zoesdad, what you describe for "right-click" is exactly what happens.

However I don't understand what you are saying in the last paragraph of your post

Old 09-04-15, 06:31 PM
kolias –

What I am thinking is that it looks like W10 has some kind of problem after you install it in your case, such that when you click on a .pptx file W10 queues the file for printing instead of opening PP with the file. But suppose this problem is caused by the Office installation process not being handled properly, either by a problem in W10 not handling the Office installation properly, or a problem with Office not handling the installation properly (e.g., Office passing bad setup parameters to W10) – or a problem with both not handling the installation properly.

You can possibly eliminate Office from the problem by simply not installing Office. If you don’t install Office and click on a .pptx file in Windows Explorer you should get a message from W10 indicating that it doesn’t know what to open for that file since you don’t have anything installed to handle .pptx files (i.e., because you don’t have Office installed). But if instead W10 queues the file for printing when you click the .pptx file, then you would know the problem is with W10 and has nothing to do (directly anyway) with Office or its installation.

But if you get the proper message from W10 :“Windows can’t open this file”, then something must be going wrong when you install Office to cause things to change in W10 such that after Office installation when an attempt is made to open the file with Windows Explorer the file is incorrectly queued to the printer.

Just throwing that out since you seem to be installing W10 and Office multiple times and so that test would not be much of a burden. It might tell you something.

Old 09-05-15, 05:59 AM
Good thinking zoesdad but since I re installed Office a couple of days ago, we know it can’t be Office problem.

Re installing W10 is not as easy as it sounds because after a clean install I do a lot of hacks to make it the way I want plus we have the endless updates which they take forever

Since winter is around the corner, this will be a project for a snow storm day. In the mean time I might be lucky and one of the constant updates I receive may fix the problem

Old 09-05-15, 09:12 AM
That isn’t necessarily true. Installing and re-installing Office doesn’t necessarily correct anything. What I am talking about is a persistent W10-Office problem that may be configuration dependent, and given your specific configuration and parameters for W10 and Office it wouldn’t matter how many times you re-install W10 and Office – the problem would persist if it just happens to be a bug triggered by your specific environment either related to installation or execution after installation. This happens many times with complex software packages.

I got windows 10 in safe mode. Clicking on a .pptx file now I get the message “Something went wrong. Try to repair Office”
That is NOT good, you should be able to run Office in Safe Mode. I think the above message is telling you the W10-Office interface is not in good shape, so it could be something wrong with W10, Office, or both. Not trying to be Mr. DoomandGloom, but I would be a little nervous about using Office if I were getting that message in Safe Mode. If the Office installation isn’t being done properly what other problems might a bad installation cause?

But I think Shadeladie is right, you really do have a very easy workaround for your immediate problem. Sounds like you can even just right-click and OPEN and you’re good to go. And like you say maybe an update will fix the problem or save it for a rainy day.lol