Windows 10 upgrades

Old 09-11-15, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows 10 upgrades

I just got a notice on my computer for a "free" up grade on my computer to Windows 10,that has Windows 8.1 now. I'm "scared as H--- to accept this "free" upgrade.

my computer came with Windows 8.1..,which I hate!!! My previous computer had Widows XP

Appreciate some of your thoughts on this. I'm a novice user.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-15, 08:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
I have Win7 on my desktop and had Win8 on my laptop which now has Win10. I like 10 a lot better than 8, not sure if I like it better than 7. The crazy thing is I reserved 10 on my desktop a couple of weeks before I did on the laptop and the laptop has had 10 for almost a month but still don't have 10 for the desktop.
I'm also a novice user

Old 09-11-15, 08:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I've been using Windows 10 since the test versions came out late last year. While I'm not excited about it since I'm one of the three people on the planet who liked 8.1, I do think Microsoft has come up with a solution which both 7 and 8.1 users are going to be able to use without the big learning curve associated with 8/8.1.

Old 09-11-15, 08:56 AM
Thanks for your reply. That was very helpful

Old 09-11-15, 09:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
Windows 10 is being offered to almost everyone as a free upgrade. If you have unlimited Internet access it's no problem but if you are metered and get your service via satellite or cellular I suggest physically taking your computer somewhere where you can leave it for the download. In my case it was about 4.5 gig though Windows website says it's only 3 gig.

If you play the games in Windows they have gone to a fee system. While the games are technically free I don't think they are resident in Windows and may get downloaded. I played about 10 games of Solitaire then got the adds and offer for a monthly subscription to play without advertisements.

Aside from that the transition from 7 was relatively painless. The only program that would not work with 10 was Symantec/Norton anti virus. I downloaded the version for 10 and I was back in business. Things look different but it was pretty easy to configure it back to the way I like and is more similar to 7.

Old 09-11-15, 09:45 AM
H
daswede if you see a symbol that looks like a window and it is white and usually next to your battery meter on a laptop don't worry that is the official symbol from Microsoft. Some important things to know though as was mentioned just because you see the symbol it doesn't mean you have Windows 10 ready yet. You can click on the symbol and it will tell you if your computer is ready for Windows 10 if it is please follow the following to the letter for the best experience.

Once Windows 10 upgrade has been downloaded in your update folder then you will be asked if you want to do a clean install or if you want to do an upgrade. Only do an Upgrade don't do a clean install as you will lose all of your files if you do. Once Upgraded you will be asked if you want to take the upgrade step by step or if you want everything automatic. I suggest step by step especially if you like a certain browser such as Chrome or Firefox as Microsoft Edge otherwise will be selected by default.

Note though if you have anything other than Windows Pro or above you cannot stop any upgrades like you could with Windows 7 and perhaps Windows 8 so you are stuck with having upgrades from Microsoft. If that doesn't appeal to you then don't upgrade, as for myself I don't mind having that set to always on however some updates have been bad in the past. So Microsoft will have to be more careful before they roll out any updates.

Old 09-11-15, 09:54 AM
H
Pilot Dane you can still find downloads for the old Windows 7 games however you will have to look hard for them. After you reinstall them then I suggest an antivirus scan I did that and everything was fine. This is not sanctioned by Microsoft but it is the same thing that Microsoft had installed with Windows 7. It probably can be installed from a Windows 7 disk but it may be hard to do. At first you might not get all of your games I didn't and had to go back to the install file and modify my install.

Old 09-11-15, 10:25 AM
Thanks everybody. Your comments and warnings are much appreciated.

Hedgeclippers Thanks for the heads up on the white window. You folks are great answering my questions As,Arnold would say,"I'll be Back"

Old 09-12-15, 08:14 AM
Z
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
I don’t know whether this writer (link below) knows what he is talking about, but all I can say about the statement I made red, is --- Oh my! (lol)

Microsoft got a whole lot of requests to upgrade to Windows 10. Contrary to what you might expect, those requests are not being satisfied first-in-first-out.
Instead, the Windows 10 installer takes a look at your system and, based on the hardware and software it finds, assigns your request to a bucket of similar upgrade requests. The folks running the (massive) upgrade effort prioritize your request based on their assessment of how likely your system is to bomb out on an upgrade. As more systems get upgraded, more of the kinks get ironed out, and the more likely your system will float to the top of the heap.
10 reasons you shouldn't upgrade to Windows 10 | InfoWorld

Old 09-14-15, 11:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
Sounds like a smart approach to me.

Old 09-15-15, 08:49 AM
Z
Well I personally think the statement “how likely your system is to bomb out on an upgrade” is hilarious. What are those guys doing? Sounds like beta testing or something. But I guess the new paradigm with Windows 10 is that it’s a living breathing system and it will keep expanding, a brand new concept. I think it’s something like that. They will update more often and force you to take the updates. Sounds like the users will be doing more testing than before.

I admit I don’t follow the product developments very well as the folks on this forum do, so maybe I am way behind the curve and maybe Windows 10 is in fact still in some kind of open beta testing stage – or probably that is just flat wrong.

Old 09-15-15, 10:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
With as many installations as there are going to be, some of them are going to fail. If one were to know criteria which make that more likely, putting off upgrading those instances for a while seems wise to me.

I agree, the language was less than corporate standard.

Old 09-15-15, 10:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
prioritize your request based on their assessment of how likely your system is to bomb out on an upgrade.
What puzzles me the most about that statement is my laptop upgraded almost immediately from 8 to 10 but my descktop still has 7. My desktop has more memory and a faster processor than the laptop .... but I like Win7 and don't want anyone to think that I'm complaining - just confused

Old 09-15-15, 10:52 AM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Marksr, my desktop also would not auto update, but tablet did fine. I had to ISO image and do a manual install (not a clean install but an update) on desktop. Only minor problems and most of those are me not knowing what's up. I did however, download and instal UWT for Win 10 (Ultimate Windows tweaker). I'm still holding off on the laptop because of the Bing desktop issue I talked about on another thread.

Old 09-16-15, 07:58 AM
Z
What puzzles me the most about that statement is my laptop upgraded almost immediately from 8 to 10 but my descktop still has 7.
mark software problems can be so subtle it may seem like it makes no sense whatsoever. For example, (just making something up here) MS may know that when the number of internal and external devices for a computer reaches a certain number, the W10 installation probability of failure seems to jump dramatically - right at the number “n”. But they don’t know exactly where the bug(s) is.

So if you had more than “n” such devices they might want to postpone the installation attempt as they try to find the “bug(s)”. Or maybe over the entire range as “n” increases the installation failure probability increases. So they prioritize their installation “attempts” accordingly.

From what I see in many articles and discussions at least, I think there is an incorrect notion floating around that installing software is like getting over the high-jump bar. A failure or two is just a natural thing. It might take a few tries but don’t give up, persevere, and after a few tries you may certainly make it. It is worth the effort.

In truth when the installation fails it is because the software is confused, mixed up, and lost. It has defects.

Old 09-17-15, 02:47 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Have you noticed that Microsoft has every other release to be good.

Windows 3.5 started
Windows 95/98 = good for its time
Windows Millennium = Crash Crash
Windows 2000 Professional = Good
Windows XP = Good
Windows Vista = Nope
Windows 7 = Good (which is my prefer choice now a day)
Windows 8 = Nope
Windows 8.1 = Better than Windows 8 but that is not a compliment
Windows 10 = Hopefully Good???

Have you noticed the patterns?

Windows Millennium is like a test trial to perfect Windows XP.
Windows Vista is like a test trial to perfect Windows 7.
Windows 8 is like a test trial to perfect Windows 10???

Last edited by WRDIY; 09-17-15 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-17-15, 07:19 AM
Z
That is really interesting, and from what I know I bet most people would agree with you on your assessment of those OS’s. It sure does look like a pattern there.

Old 09-17-15, 07:21 AM
S
Group Moderator
It's like Microsoft tries something new only to have it fail so their next product has to satisfy consumers. Then they try something new again....

Old 09-17-15, 07:31 AM
J
Anybody running a legitimate copy of windows 7, windows 8 or windows 8.1 is entitled to a free upgrade to windows 10 within the first year of windows 10. In order to be eligible, you need to 'reserve' your free copy. In order to do that, you first must have the most recent windows updates installed for your operating system. Once you do that, a small white windows logo will appear in the system tray (Next to the clock). If you click this, it will ask for your email address, and once you give it to them, your system information will be sent to microsoft, and a free windows 10 key will be reserved for you.

The windows 10 key will not be emailed to you, instead windows 10 will download in the background using windows update, and once it's done and you are able to upgrade, the system will prompt you like it does windows update. It will than proceed to do an in-place upgrade of your windows x operating system with windows 10 with your embedded windows 10 key, and once windows 10 is installed, your new windows 10 key will automatically activate your windows 10 for you. If you do not like windows 10, and have not deleted your Windows.old folder, you are able to roll back to your windows X installation within 30 days of installing windows 10.

Once you have made your reservation, if you are impatient waiting for windows update to download the files, it's possible you can borrow somebodies disc and install it yourself, or you can download the Microsoft Windows 10 migration tool and it will do it for you.

If you choose to go this route, there are two things to consider.. Microsoft made one disc for all installation platforms for windows 10 (no longer a windows 10 home or windows 10 premium installation disc), that uses your license to determine what to install.

If you choose to install windows 10 yourself, make sure that when you install, you choose 'Upgrade', and not 'Clean Installation', otherwise you will not be able to activate windows 10. The reason is, when you do upgrade, the windows 10 installation reserves your windows 7 or windows 8 activation code, and applies it to the windows 10 installation to activate it. If you skip this step, you will need to reinstall windows 7 using your original key, activate it, and upgrade to windows 10.

With that being said, windows 10 is what windows 8 should have been. It runs much faster than 7 and windows 8, and has a lot of very intuitive stuff. The interface still uses the metrodash (windows 8), however the start screen is removed and the typical start menu (albut changed), has returned. It takes a little bit to get used to, but people who switch over to it will appreciate it so much more than windows 7, and especially more than windows 8.

Old 09-17-15, 08:33 AM
Z
Justin that is great information but the only thing I would say is that I guess if it is free, I guess you really have to cut MS some slack, but IMHO people should be aware of the statements below from the MS link. There is someone who started another thread on this forum who now is having some serious problems after upgrading. (Possibly one of the people caught in the no guarantee clause below).

It just seems to me that anyone who is having or might have trouble after upgrading should really be aware that the month clock is ticking. (hedgeclippers did in fact point that out on that other thread). I know your post mentions the 30-day window but I think it needs special emphasis.

Will my devices and apps work with Windows 10?

Windows 10 is our most tested version ever, with millions of users involved in providing feedback. So while we can’t provide an iron-clad guarantee for every configuration of every device, Windows 10 is designed to be compatible with the vast majority of devices.
Can I go back to my previous version of Windows if I don’t like Windows 10?

Yes, while we think you will love all the features of Windows 10, you will have one month after upgrading to revert back to the previous version of Windows on your device.
Windows 10 FAQ & Tips - Microsoft