Audio only black screen when trying to watch DVD's or home videos etc

Old 09-14-15, 10:45 PM
Audio only black screen when trying to watch DVD's or home videos etc

Ok so I upgraded to windows 10 via the free update. I did the update so it kept all my files and settings but I have since noticed some videos on facebook won't play just a black screen and now Only VLC player works with audio and video. Power dvd 13 no longer works with any DVD it starts then returns to power dvd menu.

videos I have recorded with my HD camera and converted to WMV windows media player says it can't play the file and when i view those videos in this thing called movies and tv I get audio but no picture. I have not installed or uninstalled anything to make this happen. computer is a HP QW691AAR#ABA another set of numbers but it's smeared so I assume it reads 3CW38216K6 running windows 10 with currently a VGA monitor.

I checked for updated drivers and there were none. Everything worked before the Upgrade to windows 10. Computer had windows 7 before and it said the only thing that would have problems was this bluetooth device which i never use.

I have updated flash etc and java is up to date. Youtube videos will have a delay before the video shows up but audio starts right away. Only thing I have done recently was updated real player and deleting it and restarting the computer did not help. I tried downloading some codecs from majorgeeks and I got a virus warning so that was fake. Do I unstall my graphics card and reinstall and why won't dvds play in anything other then VLC. I can't try it with blue ray cause I don't have a HDMI or DVI monitor. I did but I assume it was the monitor it kept cutting in and out so I got rid of it.

Last edited by flirty1; 09-14-15 at 11:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-15, 04:32 AM
My guess is that you're running into an HDCP problem

HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) is becoming pretty serious stuff and if you have any hardware which is not HDCP compliant then you are bound to run into problems these days.

Your video card needs to be HDCP compliant along with the connection to your monitor and the player software you are using. If you are not using hdmi or similar then you are most likely not hdcp compliant. Simple analog and vga connections are no longer universally accepted methods and are mostly non functional for HD video now. Windows 10 has also tightened up its digital rights managment system (DRM).

To make matters worse, the HDCP version has been upgraded in the last year to cover the 4K era... which means it's even stiffer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-b...ent_Protection

Last edited by Bob Sanders; 09-15-15 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-15-15, 05:11 AM
Temporarily Suspended
From what I can see the graphics card, in your PC is an AMD Radeon HD 6530D. I searched Google for "AMD Radeon HD 6530D & windows 10". I'm not saying that I have the answer yet but one possibility is the catalyst driver, on the following page.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...easeNotes.aspx

There is also a thread at the following site that might help. I haven't followed all the links there.

Windows 10 video in Kodi not working

Old 09-15-15, 03:45 PM
So why won't home videos recorded with a Sony handycam and converted into wmv play in windows media player? I'm going to get another HDMI monitor and see if that works otherwise anyone know any hdcp compliant graphics cards. I upgraded the laptop to windows 10 from 8.1 have to see if it has any issues. I was trying it with a regular DVD and it only played in vlc player.

Old 09-15-15, 04:22 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Is there a reason why you didn't want to try the driver, on the first link that I posted? You could boot to VGR mode to see if it works then. That would tell us a lot.

So why won't home videos recorded with a Sony handycam and converted into wmv play in windows media player?
Anything could have happened during the conversion. What program did you use to convert it?

Old 09-15-15, 07:24 PM
Pmb software that came with the camera. Never had a issue everything worked before the upgrade to win 10 and now nothing works other then vlc player.I'll try the link when I get home at work right now posting from phone.

Old 09-15-15, 09:30 PM
OK checked out the link and downloaded there driver detector thing but it said no drivers available for win 10 64bit. I didn't do a clean Install of win 10 I did it where it is a update and you don't loose any info or files. Everything worked fine before the upgrade so win 10 is the issue just need to figure out how to correct it other then going back to win 7 if even possible.

Old 09-16-15, 12:29 AM
You might have to go back to Windows 7 but do it within a month if you do otherwise you are locked into Window 10 even if you don't want to be. I suggest downloading OS disk from Michrosoft while it is still available and make sure the ISP can provide high speed internet otherwise the download may have errors on it. once. Downloaded you can then decide if you want it on USB or disk. Your upgrade was perfect but your original download may not have been. Good luck keep us posted.

Old 09-16-15, 05:53 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Why not just try the driver instead of using the driver detector?

Old 09-16-15, 08:07 PM
I think it's been over a month since I did the upgrade to win 10. Will try the driver and see what happens. Could always just replace the graphics card. Also I don't see a option to manually download drivers via the first link you posted just the download the driver detector seams to be the only way.

Last edited by flirty1; 09-16-15 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-17-15, 12:14 AM
I ran with somewhat the same problem. I have upgraded to windows 10 about a month ago but I have problems with it. The media player can't load the videos but I can hear the music so I suspect that there is something wrong with my video card. Like Pulpo said, I have downloaded that driver detector but unfortunately AMD doesn't have windows 10 update for the driver. I used an alternative way by downloading a standalone installer from AMD for Windows 8.1 (it seems that 8.1 update is working in windows 10). Then after downloading, I have installed it, restarted and then there it is, the new catalyst control center of AMD.

Try it. Hope it works!

Old 09-17-15, 12:47 AM
Do you have a link? Doing a quick google search for AMD 8.1 driver comes up with a beta version. Guess I can either get a new graphics card or wait and see if AMD comes out with a driver for windows 10.

Old 09-17-15, 01:37 AM
Ooopss. I have checked the AMD site and glad to say they have driver updates for windows 10. You can search your driver manually. If there is no available for the model of your graphic card try the windows 8.1 update.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download#

There are beta version in the site, so if you don't want it you can download the previous version of it.

Old 09-17-15, 10:15 PM
Still didn't help. I installed the catalyst suite but it said the drivers were not installed for matching device. I installed the beta drivers and even the Chipset drivers. the suite keeps popping up telling me that updated drivers are available but it takes me back to the link you posted and I already downloaded all that stuff.. Also now upon restart I get solution center unable to install. What is that? I can't take a screen shot via print screen as windows 10 got rid of paint. I could go back to windows 7 but since it's been over a month I would have to use the recovery disks made and i don't want to go through all that.The new HDMI monitor is due to arrive friday so will see if it helps at all. The card does not have a HDMI output so will hook it up via DVI-D. The computer is semi custom as you chose from a list of options when ordering it.

Last edited by flirty1; 09-17-15 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-17-15, 11:23 PM
I have questions:
1. Can I know the model of your graphic card?
2. What do you mean by "windows 10 got rid of paint"? I have windows 10 but I have this paint.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  46.8 KB

VLC works fine playing both audio and video, right? Then the other player doesn't play it? Am I correct? Maybe the codecs of those players were not updated.

"In WMP, if the video is Black, then the Video Codec is not installed for the Content you are trying to view. You can download the k lite codec pack, or something similar. But I don't like those because sometimes they install Malware.

You can just keep using VLC which is what I use, it is a better Video Player for all codecs, and just about every codec is built in so you do not have to install these excess codec packs."

One member of a forum said this.

Old 09-18-15, 01:16 AM
Graphics card is a AMD Radeon HD 6530D and correct VLC plays fine but Power DVD 13 which I had to have to watch blue rays on the computer(didn't try vlc then for that)won't even play a regular DVD no more it starts to load the disk then goes back to the power DVD menu. And WMP won't play the home movies even though they are in WMV format and if I try to watch the home videos in this thing called moves and TV I get audio but no picture. I did notice after the AMD install though that Facebook videos and YouTube videos seam to be acting correctly. Will VLC play blue ray disks? And no I don't have Paint no more. I'm looking through the menu and clicking on All apps and scrolling I do not see paint listed.

Old 09-18-15, 06:27 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't have much faith in the Windows Hardware Compatibility List but it didn't have your video card listed. You could try a different card. Just make sure that wherever you buy it has a good return policy.

Old 09-18-15, 11:08 AM
Yeah well like said installing the catiylst did seam to improve the facebook videos and youtube videos so far so will see if that lasts. Will let you know if upgrading to a HDMI monitor helps anymore or not.

Old 09-18-15, 05:30 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Okay, I'm looking forward, to the answer.

Old 09-18-15, 09:53 PM
Nope still no go. Power DVD still won't play regular DVDs or blue rays and VLC says it can't open the blue ray disk. Should I upgrade to power DVD 15 as it claims there is not WMP with windows 10 or should I try re-installing power DVD 13. I don't get a error message with power dvd 13 it just trys to load the disk then it returns to the power DVD 13 home screen. I even uninstalled power dvd 13 and reinstalled it and it still don't work. EDIT I did a search and found this download called aiseesoft blue ray player for win 10. it's a 30 day free trial so it has a water mark showing there logo but for $45 plus $6 for online backup I can get the full version. Is it worth it? It's playing I tested it so I got something that might work. Anyone familiar with them?

Last edited by flirty1; 09-19-15 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-18-15, 10:43 PM
VLC needs to be configured to play bluray discs

Try this:

1. Access this website: VLC Blu-Ray
2. Then download the KEYDB.cfg file.
3. Start > Run > %APPDATA%/aacs/
4. Download the second file - libaacs.dll. (choose whether 32 or 64 bit) and place in the installation directory of VLC player.
5. Reboot VLC.

Hope this will work