About this I have no clue

Old 09-16-15, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
About this I have no clue

Friend back in VA has Comcast for (Xfinity?) TV, Phone and Internet ($140 or so a month... Yikes!) She's only paying like $.05 a month extra for the phone, but she has no clue how to hook one up.

Do you just plug it in to the telephone jacks on the modem? I told her to just call them, but we know how that goes.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-15, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
She can't call them if she can't figure out how to plug in the phone Does the cable modem have jacks for phone? Not sure how Comcast can provide phone service.

Old 09-16-15, 03:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I don't know about Comcast but my son has his phone thru Charter and it utilizes the regular phone jacks. I have phone, cable and internet thru the electric company and it's the same way. They hook their phone line up in the phone box outside of the house. As far as I know her phone lines in the house should work.

Old 09-16-15, 05:49 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have Comcast phone. You hook a phone cable from modem to a phone jack with the phone company incoming phone cable disconnected.
I use a splitter at the modem for my phone at the modem location.

Old 09-16-15, 06:52 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wasn't sure about this myself but I have had friends who had Xfinity voice by Comcast and kind of heard vaguely about a disconnection of the ont and then a connection to the inner phone jacks. The disconnection of the ont comes into play because of Verizon owning the box for their Fios service otherwise I think the technical term is feedback on the line or something. I don't know for sure as I am not a telephone technician. I did find some instructions online however from Xfinity that talks about the modem and one phone and how you need a technician for more.

This is in PDF form and it is small at first so enlarge the page http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comca...SIK%200112.pdf . This I think will help some it is not real technical and very basic but helpful.

Old 09-16-15, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'll check with her, and I appreciate the advice. Prob is she's in an apmt and only has one phone jack according to her. I dunno why the tech didn't explain to her. Told her calling support would prob be easiest. Just buy a 2 unit cordless system and put the base near the modem, then the 2nd in her bedroom.

She's one of those people that owns 1 screwdriver and a hammer.