Need new modem for faster DSL?

Old 09-24-15, 08:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Need new modem for faster DSL?

Some of you may remember me asking about upgrading to cable internet last year, and I'm going to stop dragging my feet and upgrade my existing AT&T lowest tier DSL (testing tonight at 0.22Mbps download and 0.08Mbps upload) to their fastest DSL, an advertised 6.0 Mbps (I can't get their "U-Verse" service here). I have been using a D-Link brand modem/router for about 7 years now with no problems, even though AT&T does not support that product. I emailed the manufacturer a question about whether the model I've got will work at the increased speed and they said it would work up to 65Mbps. Wow, no problem there! But because they no longer support that model (it's been upgraded I guess) they couldn't answer the question as to whether the inability to upgrade the "firmware" would hinder it's operation with the faster speed. Can I presume that it would work fine without having to re-program everything after getting the faster speed? AT&T of course, wants to sell me a "gateway" wireless router for $87 plus S&H. Should I try to see if my D-Link will work, or just buy AT&T's?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-15, 10:30 PM
Received 20 Votes on 17 Posts
I'd try what you have first, you can always upgrade later.

Old 09-25-15, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 154 Posts
I use a old 2.4ghz G Linksys wireless router at my office and it has no trouble keeping up with my high speed Internet. It's able to stream HD video without trouble. So, I wouldn't rush to replace your current one unless it proves to be a bottleneck. The one currently at the office used to be my home one. When I upgraded at home I did it for increased range and I saw no noticeable speed increase with the new modem.

Old 09-25-15, 08:09 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with Furd. Try what you have first. Keep in mind that when you do speed tests on various sites, the speed at which your PC can write data to the hard drive, can affect the results. In the past, I've used TCP Optimizer, to remedy that. They seem to have a beta version for Windows, 8, 10 & Server 2012.

SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

Old 09-25-15, 07:08 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thank you gentlemen, I shall proceed.