Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Configuration Options when booting WIN98

Visiting Guest

04-06-01, 01:03 AM   #1  
Marshall Buttrey
When booting I must choose between Windows98 and DOS. No progress is made until I choose.

On another PC, WINNT provides a default that boots if I don't choose within the time limit I specify. There is a file in my root directory where I can specify the default and the time.

Is there a way to accomplish the same in WIN98?

Thank You
Marshall

Sponsored Links

WI

04-06-01, 04:40 AM   #2  
hmmm, never seen that before, you got a dual boot somehow, check here....start-->settings-->control panel-->system.

look for a setup/shutdown tab or properties you can choose which one to boot, and how long to wait before booting, set the time to zero.

Also...did you install a full version of 98 on a disk that happened to be running dos??? I dont know if 98 can dual boot, I always used upgrades so dual boot wasn't even in my vocabulary untill about a year ago. oops, oh yeah, if you did install full ver of 98 overtop/with dos then your boot sector contains both info and needs you to tell it which to use (you knew that) you may have to do a clean setup, format then reload win98 that should take care of your problem.

Visiting Guest

04-06-01, 09:16 AM   #3  
Marshall Buttrey
Thanks BSB. Couldn't find anyting that allowed a choice between configurations. I took the easy way out and deleted the hardware profile for DOS.

Thanks Again
Marshall

NJ

04-10-01, 12:27 PM   #4  
You will have to execute autoexec.bat and config.sys on startup to do this.

Run msconfig (Start/run/C:\windows\system\msconfig.exe). see if the autoexec.bat and config.sys files are checked. If not, edit them just to see what's in them. rem out all references, so nothing will execute and then check the boxes so they run at startup. Test this to see if it causes any problems.

Post back and I will give you some sample code to give you a timed selection.

If they are running at start up, email me the contents and I'll see where to insert the code.

Visiting Guest

04-13-01, 12:45 AM   #5  
Marshall Buttrey
Thanks Normal. I no longer get the boot option, but checked as you advised (for kicks). The autoexec and config.sys are run at boot, but I have no idea why. Possibly because I used to play the DOS version of Duke Nukem, which will not run in a DOS window.

All they do is define the CDROM (config.sys) and blaster (autoexec.bat).

For the life of me, I can't see that it would be a problem if I didn't let them run. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I also found an old version of the autoexec named autoexec.nav. Quickly deleted it, because it called the old kak virus. It would not have been a problem, since I killed kak a million years ago before it ran, but still good to get shed of the junk.

Thanks again.

Marshall Buttrey

NJ

04-13-01, 05:33 AM   #6  
Marshall

It seems that they allow DOS to recognize your sound card and CD. You could try f8 at startup and "Boot to DOS" then see if you can access the CD.

If that's all they do, then you can uncheck them so they don't run and it won't affect anything. If things are running OK now, you might just leave things as they are.

Visiting Guest

04-13-01, 10:05 AM   #7  
Marshall Buttrey
Thanks Norm. I'll leave things alone until I need an adventure.

Marshall Buttrey

Search this Thread