Why did two ball bearings fall out of my pc?

Old 09-30-15, 09:30 PM
Why did two ball bearings fall out of my pc?

So on my cq60 laptop, i took apart to clean. During reassembly, i see 2 ball bearings laying on the desk. The only thing i can possibly think of that it could have come from its my dvd/cdrom drive. The tray slid open when i removed it but i didn't hear anything drop. I reassembled everything and irs running great But i have not used the DVD drive yet. Would you recommend trying it or replacing it? I've read that hard drives can have some sort of vibration bearings in them But i didn't open the hard drive only removed it. I am baffled. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-15, 09:47 PM
Group Moderator
I was thinking fan? .

Old 09-30-15, 09:52 PM
The fan seems good. Smooth, quiet and normal temps. I don't see how it would be possible for them to fall out of the fan. I didn't disassemble the fan, only removed it from the board.

Old 09-30-15, 10:02 PM
Group Moderator
It's possible that the ball bearings are part of the DVD transport although they shouldn't have fallen out.

What size are they ?

Old 09-30-15, 10:18 PM
Maybe pea size or a little smaller

Old 09-30-15, 10:44 PM
Group Moderator
Pea sized.... around 1/4" around ?

Not from a DVD drive or fan motor. Can't think of anything that would use a larger ball bearing like that.

Old 10-01-15, 05:08 AM
When I think about ball bearings for a laptop PC I think of bearings much smaller than pea size. Maybe pea sized for a desktop but not a laptop. It is possible that they are unrelated to your laptop and came from somewhere else. If we have some pictures of them we may be able to tell you better. Please tell us too if you were working under a ceiling fan at the time as they could have come from there and you didn't realize it at the time.

Old 10-01-15, 05:47 AM
Here is a pic, not pea size like I thought lol. No ceiling fans in here. Name:  20151001_083446_resized.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  20.5 KB

Old 10-01-15, 06:40 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If the ball bearings are part of the fan, which they could be, you would hear some noise & feel a vibration.

Old 10-01-15, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
Read a story once of someone who had bought a new car and brought it back because of a rattling noise. It turned out to be a wrench somehow accidentally left in the oil pan. I'm guessing same here. Just something unrelated that fell inside the case during assembly.

Old 10-01-15, 07:51 AM
Try the DVD and see what happens. If you hear a grinding or see that it moves erraticlly then it came from the drive mechanism.

Old 10-01-15, 08:33 AM
I just played a dvd for about 30 seconds and it was normal. Should I try burning a cd? I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I just don't see how the bearing was from anything else. I had my disassembled laptop in a plastic bin size of a cat litter box and the only other things in it were my little screw drivers. I don't have bearings laying around my house. Lol. I don't see how it can come from the fan or hard drive. Aren't bearings internally sealed? I'm thinking it had to be cd rom/dvd drive. The way it came open while it was in the plastic bin. Like the tray slid open to the point it seemed like it might come apart, and so I slid it back together. I'm thinking some bearings rolled out. But where exactly are bearings located in a dvd drive? Could the mechanism that helps it eject, have bearings in it to help it slide out with ease?

I think I will try to burn a cd next, unless anyone else has any suggestions....

Old 10-01-15, 10:41 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I just disassembled a DVD drive from a Dell laptop. If there are any bearings at all in the part that spins the DVD, they are tightly sealed. The drive would no longer work. I didn't see any bearings in the slide either. I don't think that they are from the laptop at all. Some time ago, I had to fix a printer. Once I removed the eye glasses from deep inside the tray, it worked fine.

Who else is in the house besides you & the cat?

Old 10-01-15, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
Once I removed the eye glasses from deep inside the tray, it worked fine.
Just like my wrench story above. Heck it could have even been maliciously intentional by a disgruntled employee hoping they'd short something out.

Old 10-01-15, 01:18 PM
I was thinking if you looked very closely with a magnifying glass you might be able to tell if the bearings are brand new and have never been used or look like they have some scratches or wear. But then again, I guess if they were for something that really isn’t used that much they might not show any wear. But then again – lol – where would there be ball bearings in a laptop that aren’t used much? Well - yes maybe the DVD drive isn't used much.

I bet if they look brand spankin new they were accidentally dropped in during the manufacturing/assembly process.

Old 10-01-15, 02:00 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Heck it could have even been maliciously intentional by a disgruntled employee hoping they'd short something out.
I don't know if I would go that far. I'm still waiting for an answer to who else lives there besides the cat.

Old 10-01-15, 02:04 PM
And I have dropped balls and screws into someone's carb cleaning basket of parts or into their pan of automatic transmission parts just to test their reasoning ability.
Could this type of prank been what caused your laptop to have "balls"?

RR

Old 10-01-15, 02:20 PM
That's Pretty ballsy of you.

Old 10-01-15, 02:29 PM
The ball bearings look fairly shiny, but then again, I'm not sure what used ball bearings look like. haha.
No pets in this house.

I am about to try burning a dvd. Will keep you guys posted. If it handles that than I can rule out the dvd drive and will assume they were transferred somehow during my project, or were somewhere loose within the laptop from the manufacturer.

Old 10-01-15, 02:49 PM
Could this type of prank been what caused your laptop to have "balls"?
lol - hahahahaha - good one!!!

I'm not sure what used ball bearings look like.
I really don't know either lol, but I'm thinking if they are perfectly shiny with no discoloration or scratches or anything - maybe that means they haven't been used. And maybe not lol.

Old 10-01-15, 03:13 PM
Temporarily Suspended
No pets in this house.
The other members of the family are still suspect. LOL I'm just kidding. If the laptop is still functional, I don't think that the ball bearings came, from it.

Old 10-01-15, 03:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If there is a small defect in the side of it, it reminds me of a link in a lamp cord pull chain. Possibly you repaired a lamp or ceiling fan pull chain in the past and one of the balls from the chain got lodged in the hinge area of the laptop. It was not until you took the laptop apart that it released. I can think of no part in a laptop that uses bearings other than a hinge.

Old 10-01-15, 04:22 PM
I have never seen any ball bearings in laptop hinges and I have taken many a Dell and a few others apart in good and very bad condition and still no ball bearings. The bearing you have there is way too big for a laptop and I doubt it ever came from an old desktop either. Beats me how it got there maybe Gremlins .

Old 10-01-15, 06:05 PM
I've seen the sliding mechanism for DVD drives that had small bearings in them, much like the bearings you see in some drawer slides. If that's the case it may make the tray jump around a little bit when going in and out but certainly shouldn't hurt performance.

Old 10-01-15, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Very good msaradell..... some CD trays use ball bearings between the base and the tray.

That what I thought of last night. The OP mentioned pea sized which ruled that idea out but now that I see the actual size.... they are more than likely from the drive. It may bind a little when the drawer slides out.

Old 10-02-15, 08:47 AM
Ball bearings are used to form 'click stops' on all kinds of things. A spring pushes a ball bearing into a groove on the moving part. There are click stops on a switch, click stops on a hinged screen (if yours has click stops)... etc. My guess, if they came from the laptop at all, is that they came from a click stop mechanism somewhere.

Old 10-02-15, 10:03 AM
Temporarily Suspended
The DVD drive that I disassembled, from a Dell laptop did not have any ball bearings.

Old 10-02-15, 10:15 AM
Well, I'm convinced the ball bearings did not come from my laptop. I burned 3 dvds yesterday, played a movie, and it's still running quiet, and within normal temps. If anything, they came from the dvd slider that some of you mentioned, or a clickstop. I don't notice any differences in them, but I haven't really used the dvd drive since I've owned it, so I don't recall how it performed when sliding out. I'm just glad all seems well, as I can't afford to replace it. Thanks for all the responses, and watch out for loose balls.

Old 10-04-15, 02:12 PM
Hey guys, since I had so many helpful people here, I wanted to ask a follow up question. This same laptop, I am getting cpu temps that don't change. I just noticed it. It remains exaclty the same idle and under load and only changes if I reboot and it will update the temp then but remain the same until next reboot. This happens with several different temp apps I tried (speedfan, coretemp, cpuid, pc wizard) so I don't think it's an issue with my app.

I tried updating my bios to a newer version and it didn't help. I don't think I have the most current bios, but picked the next one up on the list.

I had the cpu out briefly when I was blowing out the motherboard. I'm wondering if some dust or contaminant is in a socket and causing it. Would you try removing it and inspecting it? From what I read, I need a magnifying glass for this?

Old 10-05-15, 09:05 AM
Can you set desired temp settings with SpeedFan? I thought you could but I used it some time back and donít remember the details Ė or why I stopped using it since I donít have a way to read anything now. If you can set the desired temp maybe you can set it to a number other than the constant value you see now. SpeedFan should shoot for that new temp and so you should see a temp change and fan speed change different from those you see now.

At least I think thatís the way itís supposed to work. Wouldnít that tell you the fan and sensors are working OK? Seems like it would.

Old 10-05-15, 02:41 PM
I just installed SpeedFan 4.51 on W7 and there is a Charts tab that gives you a graph of CPU temperature and other temperatures over time. Iím a little surprised to see the variation of my CPU temp with the system just idling. A lot of time at about 33C, then some time at about 43C and then a few spikes here and there at 55C. Maybe the Charts would help you.

Old 10-05-15, 02:56 PM
My cpu temps never change until I reboot and just realized if I put it to sleep, and immediately wake it up, cpu temp then refreshes. Does the same thing with every temp monitor app.

Old 10-05-15, 06:02 PM
Well Iím no expert to say the least but from what I understand SpeedFan will enable the temp/fan control features of the motherboard independent of the BIOS settings. So if you just read flat-line cpu temps and cpu fan speeds via SpeedFan that would seem to me to say to your sensor on the motherboard must be bad.

But if the sensor is broken then why do you see something that looks like a reasonable cpu temp when you wake from sleep, and that temp varies upon each wake-up which would seem reasonable? That would seem to indicate the BIOS or utility you are using is in fact getting some kind of good initial reading from the sensorĖ I think lol. So why only a good first reading? Seems like a contradiction especially since you used multiple utilities and get the same results.

Who knows! Maybe give it a good cleaning Ė lol.

Old 10-06-15, 09:23 AM
I just remembered there was a similar type problem on the Boilers Forum a while back. It looked like one of the boiler controls was getting a reading on one of the sensors that just wasn’t changing and that caused a problem. I’m pretty sure most of this works the same way: there is an on-board chip that handles fans and temp sensors readings. The chip is connected via the SMBus which is a simple two-wire interface.

You can interface with the chip via its internal registers, e.g., you read/write registers to set/read fan speeds, read temperatures, etc. That’s how the BIOS and utilities would work with the chip (my chip is the aSC7621). The chip automatically and periodically updates its registers with the sensor temperatures and it has separate registers for each specific sensor. Something like SpeedFan or the utility you have on the cq10 which gives you the temperature settings would periodically read those on-chip registers.

Maybe when you took the laptop apart you disturbed the chip-to-sensor interface so that chip doesn’t see a temperature change and so the temperature register stays constant. But why would you get one good reading on reboot and/or wake from sleep - that would seem to say the entire path SMBus to chip to sensor is working? Or maybe you disturbed the chip such that on a chip reset upon reboot it can update the temperature register as it should, but after that no internal update of the temperature register is possible. Could be an internal path failure in the chip such that its internal write to the register fails, but why right after you cleaned the laptop. Seems like the cause would have to be a HW problem caused by taking the laptop apart.

Maybe – lol.

If I find something on the problem I’ll post back. But good luck!

Old 10-10-15, 09:40 AM
axxel Ė

In case you didnít know this the processor runs hotter on boot for a short period of time and you will get a higher temp reported from the BIOS than you will when you are up and running. Exactly why Iím not sure. I see a temp as high as 60C on boot but it drops much lower after that.

Also what I said in the previous post about reading registers from specific chips is correct, but I forgot that the CPU actually reports its temperature through its own internal MSRís (Model Specific Registers) so thatís how SpeedFan and the others most likely read the cpu temp. (btw Ė SpeedFan worked for me a few times but now gets hung up reading the SMBus any time it is executed).

So maybe if you bent the pins or something when reseating the cpu that would in fact explain it, although it still boggles my little brain why you would get one good reading on reboot or wake from sleep.

If you ever get it figured out please post back.

Good luck!

Old 10-13-15, 09:02 AM
axxel-

I found this thread on another forum. It sounds like the same problem you are having. Looks like you are on the right track thinking about cleaning and reseating. Unless I missed it no one in the discussion explained why there is in fact a good initial CPU temperature reading. Probably never be able to figure that out unless you talk to the design engineer, lol. But Iíd sure love to know the answer.

Thread starts out:
What seems to be the issue is the CPU temp reading from the motherboard's CPU Temperature sensor (I think). It remains a constant and does not update once the computer starts. It is never the same reading depending if I do a cold start in the morning (15C-22C) or perhaps a restart after the computer has been running for a while (maybe 27C-32C) so I know it isn't really stuck at one number. It seems to just take that one first reading and sticks with it. Now this is an issue because the CPU fan speed is based on this temperature reading, and if I try to run a program such as Prime95 the fan speed stays the same as if the CPU is idle.
Thread ends with success:

You are a genius!

I had a chance to pull the CPU. Upon inspection, there were two pcs of material, soooo tiny (I can't stress that enough) I could barely see them with a magnifier. A dot and what looked like a tiny thread. Now they were not actually touching any contacts as far as I could see, but blowing everything and re-seating and applying the Arctic Silver 5 seems to have solved it.

The CPU Temp is updating in the Gigabyte SIV (System Information Viewer) and the fans now properly respond to those temperatures. I'm crossing my fingers that was it. In the meantime I will look into the information more for Speedfan as a backup should I ever require it.

I want to thank you for sticking with me and my problem. Cheers and have a great weekend!
CPU Temp Sensor on Motherboard Stuck on First Temp Reading [Solved] - Temperature - CPUs