Want to use smartphone as modem for desktop PC

Old 10-28-15, 12:02 PM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Want to use smartphone as modem for desktop PC

I ordered an Asus Zenphone 2 smartphone. I want to use it as a modem to deliver Internet to my desktop PC via WiFi or preferably USB wired tethering. My research tells me this can be done, and it would be most cost effective with pre-paid data. I have a few questions about how this works since I have never done this before

1. When the smartphone delivers Internet to my PC, will I use the desktop keyboard to control and surf the Internet, or is this done through smartphone hotspot?

2. Do I need to purchase anti-virus software to install on the smartphone, instead of PC?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-15, 12:22 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
It works on the same principle as a "Hotspot" at McDonalds for example.

The phone will act as an internet connection & you would use your desk top as normal. Once the phone wifi is activated, you wont do anything with the phone.

You do not need to purchase an antivirus for the phone in my experience.

Keep in mind though, while you are using the phone for wifi, normally you cant use the phone as a phone. You cant make or receive calls.
Note: some phones will take a call but upon taking the call, you loose you wifi connection.

Old 10-28-15, 12:38 PM
B
Thanks Dix,

Good to know. I understand I'll probably need app download and driver to do the USB tether option. As a backup I can also get Internet on smartphone screen itself. This phone has 4G LTE, fast processor and fastest WiFi standard to date 802.11ac. And I get strong cellular signal with two cell towers near house. Should work well on desktop PC. And I can control costs big time.

I do realize heavy hot spot usage could shorten the life of the phone.

Old 10-29-15, 05:40 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you already have internet service or even if you don't, what the benefit is in using a smart phone as a modem?

Old 10-30-15, 05:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
I would look into getting a hot spot or mifi from your cellular carrier and add it to your current plan. It might be a reasonably priced option and a more "permanent" solution. I've done tethering when traveling and it does work but it's a of a Band-Aid solution. Because of the cell phone's small size it's weak for antennas so your computer needs to be close for best connection and speed. It also puts a drain on the phone's battery so for long term use the phone should be plugged into a charger.

Old 10-30-15, 08:30 PM
B
It also puts a drain on the phone's battery so for long term use the phone should be plugged into a charger.
If you use usb tether the phone charges from the computer. You also get a more reliable connection.

Old 11-01-15, 02:29 PM
B
I gave this a lot of thought. I researched all the angles I could think of, in addition to asking questions on this website. I want to use smartphone as modem because dial-up is too slow and this is the most cost-effective solution for high speed Internet with smaller amounts of pre-paid no contract data. Plus, I can also view Internet on the smartphone itself.

Yeah, I definitely want to USB tether.

Buy the way, I have a smartphone question. Please post on another forum if necessary. I already ordered the SIM from the carrier online. My smartphone make model (listed below) can have a SD card added for up to 64 GB of storage.

I only plan to use the phone to deliver Internet to the PC via tethering. I'm not going to store any files, downloads, or multimedia on the device. Do I even need to buy any SD card for the phone? How much storage did the phone likely come with from the factory? The user guide doesn't say. You have to email or call Asus customer service direct in Taiwan and there might be a bit of language barrier.

Old 11-12-15, 09:26 AM
B
So it seems that it's normally not necessary to install anti-virus software on smartphone for Internet use with built-in phone and Google safeguards. But do I still need anti-virus software on desktop PC when smartphone is delivering Internet to PC via USB tethering?

Old 11-12-15, 09:34 AM
T
Yes, think of it as you would any other type of internet connection. You don't necessarily have to buy it, there are plenty of free anti-virus programs out there. Use a firewall too.

Old 11-12-15, 09:35 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
Correct, you will need some sort of anti-virus on your desktop

Old 11-12-15, 10:43 AM
B
Ok. Thanks. I was hoping I wouldn't need to spend the money to renew A/V software on PC. But better safe than sorry I guess.

Old 11-13-15, 04:18 AM
S
You might want to re-think this

Normally your data on your smart phone is very expensive..... at least here in Canada it is... we typically get only 1 Gig for free on a $60 a month plan

Old 11-29-15, 01:01 PM
B
The smartphone USB tether to desktop PC has been working well for me. I'd like to use this method as my primary connectivity for Internet. A couple questions regarding online security:

1. Is the USB tether from smartphone safe for doing large download to PC for renewing anti-virus software?

2. Also what about USB tether to PC for online banking. Should I avoid this altogether? Or should I get a virtual private network or A/V software for mobile device itself? Would the security risk be to the smartphone, PC or both. I guess this is what confuses me since two devices are being used.