Printers not working after changing router and switch

Old 09-09-17, 07:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A USB printer cable doesn't have a USB connection on both ends. The printer end has a square connector.
Your printer has an IP address of 192.168.0.225 & the Xfinitiy tech told you that the modem/router gives 10.0.0.x addresses. Hmm. Do you see the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-17, 08:45 AM
Thank you for letting me know that a USB cable isn't the same at both ends.

I am such a novice at this that I don't see what the issue is. I am guessing from your question to me that both IP addresses have to match. Correct? If this is the case, I don't know why my printer worked up until the time I received a new modem if the modem addresses didn't change.

I'm lost... I barely know what questions to ask.

Thank you,
BWSwede

Old 09-11-17, 09:15 AM
The IP addresses don't have to match but the subnets do.
Class C subnet 192.168.1.xxx That means that the last octet where the Xs are can be from 1 to 254
Class B subnet 192.168.xxx.xxx The last 2 octets can be from 1 to 254
Class A subnet 192.xxx.xxx.xxx The last 3 octets can be from 1 to 254
If your modem/router is giving out 10.0.0.xxx address & your printer has a 192 address, they won't see each other, at least not under home circumstances.

Solutions: Either change the IP address on the printer to match the modem/router OR a much easier solution is to move the printer close to the PC & connect the two with a USB printer cable. Why go crazy with IP addresses if it's too complicated?

Old 09-11-17, 09:27 AM
Thank you for the reply and explanation. I am all for making this easy.

I looked up USB printer cables online and my printer does not have a port to accept the square end of the cable. My printer has a JetDirect card with a port and says "10Base-T" on it. I think I am out of luck using the simple method.

I just don't get what changed when I upgraded my modem. It seems to me that this should not be this complicated.

Thanks again,
BWSwede

Old 09-11-17, 05:30 PM
Unless your printer is 20 years old, it has a USB cable connection. Look for it. What make & model is it?

I explained it a few times already & you still don't understand what happened. If the printer was connected through a TCP/IP port & the modem/router supplies IPs on a different subnet, they won't talk to each other. I can't say it any clearer.

Old 09-12-17, 06:20 AM
The printer is an HP 4MV and is a workhorse that cranks out fantastic quality 8.5 x 11 and 11 x 17 prints. It is from the 1990's and does not have a USB port.

I think I now understand what you are saying.

Thank you,
BWSwede

Old 09-12-17, 06:50 AM
You are correct, no USB. It all has to do with TCP/IP networking so correct that & it will print.

Old 09-12-17, 08:16 AM
I would guess that your printer was hard coded with an IP address for the old network configuration. The new one uses a different (but equally valid) IP address range (beginning with 10.0.0.1). This page, https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpj02326#AbT7, should lead you through changing your ip address to use DHCP. This means that the printer will get an IP address from the router instead of it being hard coded into the printer. The one downside to this is that if, for some reason, the address the printer gets from the router changes, you may need to re-discover the printer on your computer. Chances are small but it does happen occasionally.

After this is done, you will need to add it as a new printer on your computer. The address of the old printer on your computer is no longer valid so you can probably delete it.

- Peter

Last edited by pjaffe; 09-12-17 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-13-17, 06:28 AM
Thank you Peter for the reply and the link.

I read through the directions on the HP page and I think I understand what they describe. One question I have right off the bat is what IP address do I put into the printer? On my other printer (a new Canon all-in-one) the IP address is 10.0.0.141.

Thanks again,
BWSwede

Old 09-20-17, 05:53 AM
Peter,

I went through the instructions and set up the computer for DHCP. I unplugged the printer and unplugged the modem to get them to see each other. I also went into the computer and added the printer using the IP address I assigned to it (10.0.0.142) and what shows up on my Fing phone app. I also set the subnet mask on the printer as 255.255.255.0, the default gateway as 10.0.0.1 and the syslog server also as 10.0.0.1. Unfortunately I still can't print.

Any ideas?

TIA,
BWSwede

Old 09-20-17, 06:02 AM
You can't assign an IP if you set it to DHCP. That's an oxymoron.

Old 09-22-17, 05:49 AM
I assigned it an IP address but it didn't still didn't work. So then I set it to DHCP and it still didn't work. I then checked the IP address that showed up on the Fing app on my phone and it had not changed from what I set it to. Setting it to DHCP didn't change anything.

BWSwede

Old 09-22-17, 06:12 AM
What is the DHCP range on the modem/router?