Can I Install Win 98 after installing Win2000

Old 04-09-01, 10:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have Installed Windows 2000 in C:\Winnt, only C: is NTFS
all my other drives are FAT32(D:,E:F:,G.I want to install Win98 in D:.Can I install it If yes How?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-01, 11:52 AM
BSB
the easiest way is to install 98, then 2000 as 200 will incorporate 98 and give you dual boot and not mess with boot sectors. I have heard of a few loading 98 after 2000 but had a rough time of it. you can also get a os manager (I think one is called os commander) program that will alow you to load 98 on your d drive and then ask you to choose the one you wish to boot up with. by using an os manager you can load as many os's you wish to. (some programs are limited to the number)

Another popular os manager (of sorts) is VMWARE this will alow you to virtualy network diff os's with in your system opening diff windows for each os that you have installed. Unfortunatly it costs a bundle. Check out download.com and see what they have for os commanders, a few of them are freeware, the better ones are shareware and purchase.

BSB

Old 04-10-01, 05:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Hey I can't install Win98 itself man.It says that the Installation will not continue if there is NTFS in C:.Help me to install the OS and I will Manage the os loaders.

Old 04-10-01, 08:39 AM
BSB
After doing some research and bs with another with the set up you are wanting. The only way we can come up with to load 98 after 2k /ntfs is to use a 98 boot disk and then load 98 onto the d drive. that is if the os loader will not accept 98 after the c drive has been converted to ntfs (or if the os loader has not been installed).

If you use a 98 boot disk it will still reconize drive c, but you will not be able to do anything to it (I think, will have to dbl check this) because of the ntfs format. I dont know if this will work, have not tried it, if I come across a more definate answer will relay it to ya.

p.s the program I was thinking of is system commander, but has mixed reviews.