Visiting Website problems

Old 04-09-01, 06:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I use to be able to visit the Comptia.org website on my computer. I have since setup a LAN at home hooking up two desktops and a Laptop using a Linksys cable router. I cannot visit the Comptia.org website any longer. I get a popup saying " cannot locate server". I have no problem visiting any other site. I mainly use Netscape 4.X as my browser. What is also strange is accessing Comptia.org is possible on AOL but not Netscape. Everything was fine until the home network was setup. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-01, 03:54 AM
check your spelling , please give me the web address of the site in question, I couldn't find the site.

Old 04-10-01, 04:49 AM
BSB
thats an odd on, I asume you are attempting to view the certification site for comptia? if so (dkerr its comptia.org, no www or anything at the beginning) I have no problems viewing this site from netscape 4.75 or IE 5.0, from home or from the junky T-1 here at work.

Is this the only site you are unable to browse to? Have you upgraded netscape since the lan setup? Have heard reports that the new netscape is incompatible with many websites.(these may mostly be banking sites though.)

Old 04-10-01, 04:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Can't get on yet

When I was able to visit before I networked my computers I bookmarked it. I visited the website many times since I am a network student. Now when I click on the bookmark I get the "can not locate the server http://www.comptia.org". It is http://www.comptia.org . It must be the router. I have visited at the local comm. college with no problems. If I knew the ip address i could trace route. I'm stumped.

Old 04-10-01, 04:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Stumped in Fla

I use Communicater 4.76 It seems to me that is the only site I can not get on. By the way cookies are enabled. Security on medium.

Old 04-10-01, 05:03 PM

Ip search lookup...

http://www.bankes.com/nslookup.htm

http://wwwnet.princeton.edu/tools/dnslookup.html
when entering http://www.comptia.org (no hhtp://) I got an IP address of 207.254.119.234

checked it and it is indeed the same site, try using the Ip address and see if you can get the site.

Also are you using a firewall ? Or any software that attempts to delete ads on websites ?

Old 04-10-01, 05:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Guess What? Pasting the ip address into the URL location worked! I even bookmarked it and tried it that way worked too. I wonder if this is a DNS server problem. I do have NAT on the Linksys cable router BEFSR41. That also (NAT) could be something I need to look at. No other software other than NAT which supposedly acts as a firewall. No other problem visiting other sites Napster included. Big Thanks to you dkerr .

Old 04-11-01, 04:31 AM
BSB
you can also to a tracert on the http://www.comptia.org and that will give you the ip address, unless the same problem that was preventing you from viewing the site will also cause you not to tracert the problem.

Old 04-14-01, 04:40 AM
All,
I think some are trying too hard, getting too techy.
I just did a search for comptia in Google.
Comptia.org is the first result, simply click on it.
When in the sight, RE-bookmark it, and delete your old bookmark.

Old 04-14-01, 06:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Techy?

Excuse me fewalt,
That approach I had already tried, long before I found this forum.And that did not work either
I always try for the simpliest answers first. Since I am a network engineering student at a college, I am curious as to what causes some of the problems that occurs to networks and LAN's. In this approach I take I get more understanding as to how the internet works and how to troubleshoot problems in the future.
Who is to say who is trying too hard or getting to techy? That is all a matter of perspective.

Old 04-14-01, 08:04 AM
Mr. Student,
Your first thread should have simply explained you had tried the easiest methods already. Have you changed to a different version of Netscape. Different versions of various browsers act in strange ways, as you know. When you graduate maybe the software you write will be better than what is currentl available throughout cyberdome.
Remember, it's not your fault!!

Old 04-14-01, 09:47 AM
It is true that netscape and explorer have some differences, but for the most part they both will work for most websites. I am curently developing a union website, and found that a certain combination of framing layout works great with all versions of explorer but not with all versions of netscape.

I think for the poster's question we have already provided some insight and at least a way to find ip address that will allow a direct route to the site. Since he is an network engineering student there is likely things that he knows that I don't and that I could learn from also.

Being too technical ? well that is a matter of perspective, and background, and there is times that it is unclear as to the poster's knowledge and experience base. I don't think our explanations was that technical in language. Both browsers do have to excess a dns server to find the IP translation. We really did not find the exact cause but provided a workaround to the site by using an IP address which bypasses the need to excess the dns server to find it.

Old 04-14-01, 12:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up problem solved

I did not want to get in a long and lengthy explanation of the problem I had.I wanted to keep it simple. The original question I posted was to draw out possible solutions from experienced people as your selves. You folks are a great help. I see this forum as very invaluable.