What's wrong with ethernet ports?

Old 12-23-15, 08:31 PM
I remember when I was working some of the worst problems to find were when people pulled little non-standard tricks like that. You would like to strangle them.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-15, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I get it - how to split. Thing is - split is on the INPUT side of the board, not on the OUTPUT side. In other words, that spit cable is supposed to input signal INTO the jacks, not OUT of them.
So what does it split? Says OFFICE on the cable

Once again, it is not Motorola Surfboard. It's Xfinity Gateway with 4 ports.

Old 12-23-15, 08:44 PM
Those two. They can be plugged only into the same jacks that connect TO a router or modem.

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-15, 08:40 AM
Once again, it is not Motorola Surfboard. It's Xfinity Gateway with 4 ports.
I don’t think that is relevant if you are trying to determine the wiring in the house. Didn’t you just have the Xfinity Gateway installed? If there is an rj45 outlet in the Office wall, and that split cable actually goes to the Office, the previous owner may have used one of these:

StarTech RJ45SPLITTER 2-to-1 RJ45 Splitter Cable Adapter - M/F - Newegg.com

In other words, the other end of the split cable shown in post #43, may have been terminated at an rj45 wall outlet in the Office, and then split out using the type of splitter in the above link.

So if he had a Gateway or router or switch in the Office, he could connect 2 Ethernet ports from the device in the Office, all the way through to the H628 panel.

But remember, the cables on the 110 block under 3 and 6 would actually have been the ultimate destinations. The panel is just a pass-through.

(I just noticed you said cable was marked OFFICES in the first post. but later you said OFFICE. If there are 2 rj45 outlets back to back in the walls of 2 different OFFICES, possibly the cable splits in the wall with 4-wires going to each office.)

Last edited by zoesdad; 12-24-15 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-24-15, 10:23 AM
ukrbyk, post a shot of the underside of the rj45 coming out of the "split" cable that has the blue/brown wires.

If it is indeed "splitting," what's being split is the cable, not the signal. And if the cable is being split, there would be two separate rj45's on the other end of the cable as well.

There is no input/output to speak of at your H628.

But honestly, I feel like trying to figure this out may not get too far. If you figure out where the other end of the split cable goes, determine if that's even a location you care about. If not, why worry about what's being split & such...etc..

Old 12-24-15, 02:39 PM
Curiositu.
Besides happiness lasted only one night.
Ethernet port for my PC that came to life yesterday night died as of this morning.
I'll hire someone to scope this.
Happy holidays to everyone.

Old 12-28-15, 12:57 PM
Ok, so ports are still not working but here's some solution to the puzzle:

pic attached is what they had as "office". In it you can see exactly the same gateway I have now, from Comcast, sitting in what was their old office.
Remember two split ethernet cables that went INTO the panel we discussed and saying OFFICE on the cable?

Attached Images  
Old 12-30-15, 08:06 PM
ukrbyk-

I agree whole heartedly with jpritzen1 when he says:

But honestly, I feel like trying to figure this out may not get too far. If you figure out where the other end of the split cable goes, determine if that's even a location you care about. If not, why worry about what's being split & such...etc..
Nevertheless, if I understand correctly, you are now trying to determine what equipment must have existed, and how that equipment must have been set up, before you moved in, to supply an internet connection to all (or most?) rooms in the house, which you assume that equipment did.

You feel that looking at the H628 panel, since you see cables that are labeled with various room names, the setup before you moved in must have supplied an Ethernet connection to all of those rooms, and so now you want to reproduce the previous owner’s configuration.

The first problem IMHO, which has been pointed out before, is that you don’t know what rooms in the house actually had internet before you moved in. Therefore, the current cabling in the house may not support internet to “all” the rooms in the house.

As others have pointed out, you should look at your own requirements and determine what cabling/wiring is required in the house and start from there. As has been pointed out several times the H628 is a just a patch panel, the RJ45 connectors on the top row basically just connect “their wires” to the 110 blocks below.

As requested before, you should look to see if there are any other cables or panels or any other kinds of equipment in the house, because if in fact the only cables to the wall plates in the rooms emanate from the H628 panel 110 blocks, then you have to route your Ethernet connections to the rj45 connectors on the top row of the H628 if you want to use that panel and the attached cables to the rooms.

I believe the way you would use the H628 is to collocate your 4-port Gateway together with an Ethernet hub or switch with the H628, and then make connections from the Gateway/switch/hub to the top row of the H628. It would look like the configuration in your drawing.

If the previous owner had 2 cables (actually a split cable but you can think of it just as 2 cables) from the Office to the H628 panel rj45 connectors, and had a Gateway and other equipment (maybe a switch) in the Office, that would NOT have supplied Ethernet to all of those rooms connected to the H628. That would have supplied Ethernet to ONLY the rooms connected to the two (split) cables coming from the Office to the H628.

Again, the question is, what do the cables on the H628 110 blocks under 3 and 6 connect to? That would have been what Ethernet connections the equipment in the Office was supplying via the split cable if in fact that’s what it was doing.

You should locate your Gateway near the H628 and disconnect everything from the RJ45 top row. Then connect a cable from an Ethernet port on your Gateway to rj45-1 on the H628. Then take your laptop to each room and find out which room Rj45-1 connects to.

Then do the same for Rj45-2 and so on. Then you will have a map truly identifying the connections from the 110 blocks on the H628 to the individual rooms.

You will then also know which rooms the connections from H628 110 block 3, and H628 110 block 6, go to. These are the two rooms the 2 cables (i.e., the split cable) the previous owner had connected to from the Office. In other words, the Office was connected to two rooms via the split cable, and again, those are the two rooms connected to H628 110 blocks 3 and 6. You need to see if that routing would make any sense, i.e., would those be priority rooms.

It seems that if the Gateway and other equipment actually had been in the Office, then a decision was made by the owner to connect that equipment to the 2 rooms H628 110 block 3 and H628 110 block 6 via the split cable from the Office and the H628.

If there are no other cables in the house, and the owner had a Gateway(and possibly another switch as it appears in the pic) in the Office, then I think it would be a safe bet to say the previous owner DID NOT have a setup to supply Ethernet to all of the rooms in the house. In other words, the Office was driving ONLY 2 Ethernet ports in the rooms : block 110-3 and block110-6 on the H628.

So if you are looking at the current cabling in the house, and also assuming from that picture that the Gateway/switch/etc. were all in the OFFICE, and wondering how the previous configuration supplied internet to all of those rooms, the answer might be IT DID NOT!

In addition to mapping the H628 110 connections to the rooms, you need to find out what that “split” cable is truly doing rather than assuming it goes to the Office because the label says so. If you move your Gateway into the Office and connect it to the internet,, and then connect the Gateway to the Rj45 outlet(s) in the Office, and then connect your laptop to either Rj45 connector (try both) at the other end of the split cable at the H628, you may be able to verify the split cable actually goes to the Office. Try both ends of the split cable at the H628.If there are multiple rj45 outlets in the Office try the test at all of them.

You would then have a mapping of all the cables from the H628 to all of the rooms. Bottom line is you need to connect your Gateway/Switch Ethernet cables directly to the top rj45 ports on the H628 to supply Ethernet to the rooms of your choice – but only after you have mapped out the cabling and verified the H628 has the room connections you want.

Old 12-30-15, 08:15 PM
Actually it's all working fine. I added switch and jumpers. Short of one port jumper. As I type, my PC pegs at 178 Mbps speed. So it's sort of resolved.
Based on previous owner modem location, in office, I think that split cable was simple in feed from office to H628 hub. Because modem was in the office.
But either way, it's working, so it all appears to be solved.
Glad I did, as I called original installer, so he starts at $150 for call and then $75 an hour "to figure it out".

Old 12-31-15, 08:08 AM
When you say it is all working, I assume that doesnít include the Office. If your Modem is collocated with the H628 then how did you route internet to the Office? If your modem is in the Office instead, then how did you route internet to the H628 panel ? Or did you find other cabling in the house?

Old 12-31-15, 10:04 AM
Correct, office is not powered.
Thing was, office is on the 2nd floor, and my PC is temporarily on the 1st. In m-bed. So I had to run it off WIFI netgear adapter as wall jack did not function.
Now it works along with several other jacks.
When we finally unpack and settle, I'd try to move gateway to where it was originally and see if that split cable indeed feeds signal to the hub. If this works, then I'll connect it to switch and connect jumpers to all 7 hub ports (one is not connected to anything).
Don't want to experiment with this now, as I have other priorities, office has TWO coax jacks - go figure which one is Comcast feed - and gateway takes solid 20 minutes to reset itself every time you power it down to connect to a different port.
Later.

Old 12-31-15, 12:20 PM
Seems like a good plan. btw - that Office looks like a really nice room. Very cheery also.

Old 12-31-15, 05:16 PM
yeah, it's a nice place. too nice.

Old 01-03-16, 01:04 PM
Mysterious spliced cable

i was browsing house pics and caught my eye that gateway in the office, were it originally was installed, actually does have a spliced ethernet cable coming out of it.
How this works I am not sure as there is only one ethernet wall jack in the room.

Attached Images  
Old 01-03-16, 06:41 PM
Thatís what I meant in post#44:

If the cable at the H628 with the two rj45 connectors is actually a split cable that actually does go to the Office, then that cable could be connected to a single rj45 outlet at the Office wall.

I canít see the cable real well on the Gateway in the picture, but maybe itís something like the Network Line Splitter below, with a patch cable from the female end to the outlet on the Office wall.

So then you would be connecting 2 ports on the Gateway to 2 ports on the H628 Ė with a single cable.

6 inches CAT.5 10/100 RJ45 1-Female/2-Male Network Line Splitter Cable

Old 01-03-16, 09:08 PM
Got it. But this will power only two jacks in H628 and 110 connectors right below them. The rest will still be dead without switch and the rest of the Rj45 jacks powered.
So truly, if I were to restore it to the original design and have gateway in the office, I need one of those split cable adapters, then have the panel end plugged into a switch and have jumpers run to all 8 jacks in H628.
Which I may end up doing as wifie took over the room where gateway/panel are now and already is complaining that she does not have enough room for her clothes because of the open panel cover and such. "Does this thing have to be here?".

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-16, 07:27 AM
ukrbyk I canít see what that new little arrow is pointing to.

Old 01-04-16, 08:15 AM
At the split coming out of the yellow insulation. It's Y-split cable. 2 Rj45 out of one cable.

Old 01-04-16, 09:30 AM
If we assume the split cable from the H628 terminated at the rj45 outlet in the Office, then you would have to have a split somewhere before the Gateway. It could be 2 individual cables from a splitter going into the Gateway, or a single cable that was split at the Gateway.

In the picture that could even be a cable that someone split and then crimped on their own rj45 connectors Ė in other words, not store bought splitters.

Old 01-17-16, 09:56 AM
Just FYI.
That split ethernet cable IS connected to offices. One plug feeds office A and the other office B. I had them plugged into switch and wall ports work.