Microsoft Help Scam Alert

Old 02-03-16, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Microsoft Help Scam Alert

Just recently I received a call from some guy who sounded like he was from India and he said we detected something on your computer. Well I knew it was a scam as I don't subscribe to any anti-virus and only use free anti-virus.

I also knew it was a scam when he said don't worry I am not trying to sell you anything. Ha Ha that is when you do worry when they say it is completely free and they don't want anything from you.

He asked do you have your computer on and I was watching a game show at the time and didn't have it on but I pretended I did so I played along. He then asked me to press the R key and the windows key at the same time and said what do you see and I gave him the same answer through the whole thing everything looks normal.

It was then that I guess I got him mad and he said do you understand English and I said sure I do. Then he said then why don't you follow my simple instructions and I said I have then he said you are beyond help and hung up. So I irritated the scammer.

I didn't know exactly why the call was made but I assumed that someone wanted to take control of my computer and I was right. People have asked for control of your computer to help you supposedly get rid of a virus. What makes it bad is that they now have your personal information on their computer.

The real scary part is that these people know where you live as they had my address and knew about my internet connection. However that was all they had and apparently others have been asked for money to supposedly clean your computer after this supposed free sales pitch.

Here is a link to the Microsoft forum where they warn people against this scam. telephone calls purportedly from Microsoft - Microsoft Community . Please be very careful these scammers know a great deal and could be linked to terrorist groups.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-16, 12:08 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Did he tell you what command he wanted you to run? Was that call to your land line or cell phone?

Old 02-03-16, 12:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
I read about that a while ago at MalwareBytes. They called one of the techs there with that scam. Makes for some interesting reading.

malwarebytes/fraud-scam/2013/04/phone-scammers-call-the-wrong-guy-get-mad-and-trash-pc/

Old 02-03-16, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
I've gotten several of those calls and hang up on them immediately but my wife will answer a few questions prior to calling me to the phone

On a slightly related note, there is an FBI scam/virus that a pedophile in a nearby town got a year of so ago. He thought it was real and went to the police station to turn himself and his computer in That was the first the police knew about the guy but they were more than happy to lock him up

Old 02-03-16, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Last time I got one of the "Microsoft" calls I said, "OH, is it the Dell, the HP, or the Toshiba?" When he picked one I said, "hmm, that's funny, it's not even connected to the network....". CLICK.

Old 02-03-16, 06:33 AM
Received 42 Votes on 36 Posts
I tell them the police or FBI have taken my computer because I have not paid my taxes. If the scammer is detecting errors on my computer, it must be the police are using it. When I offer them the number of the police holding my computer, the line goes silent. Works every time.

Old 02-03-16, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
The guy hung up on me when I told him the computer hadn't been turned on at all during the two weeks they were supposedly receiving error messages from it.

Old 02-03-16, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
beelzebob, I like that one!

Old 02-03-16, 07:25 AM
Pulpo to answer your question it was on my land line I have a cell phone but it is rarely on as it is a Tracfone pay as you go. Good enough for me as I prefer my landline. Another thing I am sure that must have annoyed him is me pretending I had a headache He wasn't very sympathetic But I was able to get rid of him faster that day. Next time my game show is on though I am not answering the phone:NO NO NO: .

Old 02-03-16, 07:37 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I guess that sometimes not having a land line is a good thing. I never received one of those calls.

Old 02-03-16, 11:18 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
That's me, Pulpo. I have a cell phone, same carrier and same number for more than fifteen years. I also have a VoIP phone, same number and carrier for several years, and I have never received such a call. I have received a (very) few wrong numbers, I suspect just by misdialing, but never have I received any scam calls.

I will say that when I first got my Verizon FiOS Internet installed I (stupidly) also signed up for the "Freedom Phone" service and ALL I got on that line were people looking for money. It started less than an hour after activation and was so bad (4-6 calls per day on average) that I turned off the ringer on the phone and only used it for outgoing calls. The worst part was that I (again stupidly) had signed up for a two-year contract and the cost to get out of the contract was the same as continuing the telephone service for the full two years.

The cost for the Freedom Phone was about $30 a month. With my VoIP I pay $6.95 for the incoming number service and 1.9 cents per minute for outgoing calls, incoming calls are free. Total cost of service for most months is less than nine dollars.

Old 02-06-16, 10:54 PM
hedgeclippers,

few times had a call like that, when I answer, I mess with them, last time I did, I had that indian guy going for 47 minutes and he even got his "supervisor" to help me find out why I could not "download" his file (the program to do remote assistance)

so after a while of messing with him, at the end is when I finally revealed what I knew and then told him, well, good luck with trying what your doing, but you cannot take control of a Rixson #28 floor closer (I used it's clicking sound from its valves as the mouse/keyboard sounds) that uses hydraulics and a spring, not electricity and network!

when my DAD answers..... (3 hours after he called and I messed with him) "morgue, are you picking up or dropping off?"

ohh my god, biggest laugh I had in a long time when I did that!!! ROFL and not one call since

as for me, if I don't recognize the number, I won't pick up, I do look the numbers up, and seems its all robocalls or people selling solar panels or pain relief/medical braces offers. (800notes.com is my best friend for times like these!)

now just what about faxes, I hope they are willing to pay for ink!! HP ink is not cheap, not wasting paper on garbage advertisements for loans and vacations, with those, you call the unsubscribe number, your put on another list to be sent more from another advertiser (when you call the numbers to be removed, it indicates to them that they landed on a live one to keep sending garbage to.

Old 02-06-16, 11:25 PM
Joel we have a contract too so signing up for something else right now probably is not the best idea. I would hate to think that the telephone company could have sold our unlisted number but you never know they could have. I know for a long time my personal e-mail account never had spam but it does now and not because I have a habit of giving out my e-mail with Verizon.

Doordoctor funny you mentioned solar panels not long after I received the first scam call I received a call from someone wanting to sell me solar panels(sounded just like the first guy and might have been). I just told him we are not interested and on the do not call list and hung up on him. Knee braces also gets me thinking about either a card or a number my elderly mom called or sent in and I bet they sold our phone number to a list. Of course they are supposed to check the do not call registry but these scammers could care less about the registry.

Old 02-07-16, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The evening after this thread was started I got one of those phone calls. When the guy said there was a problem with my computer I answered with 'but I don't have a computer' the line went silent for 15-20 seconds and then he hung up on me

Old 02-07-16, 07:21 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I have the same question. for you. Was that on your land line?

Old 02-07-16, 07:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, it was my land line. My current cellphone has never gotten a telemarketer call [had it 2-3 yrs] but my previous cellphone [prepay] received several a month

Old 02-07-16, 07:39 AM
He wanted to lead you through sites that would show how your comp was vulnerable to virus and then show you a list of potential ways to protect your comp up to $800/yr. I expected this of course but had free time to take the call for which at the end I gave him my prepared dressed down scolding saying "What? I thought you said this was free? Learn English you foreign #@$^&* etc, etc." I'm surprised that you were surprised you would get any other response. Of course other common leads ins are "We noticed you have been getting an error message on your comp" and "We noticed there was a problem with your Google listing." (now usually done by recording).

Old 02-07-16, 07:48 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If any of you who received those calls, still has the originating phone #, I'd like to google it.