Making a viable link from a Word document

Old 03-07-16, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Making a viable link from a Word document

OK, so I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack. We are working in the tile forum and need to get information to posters. The site where we formerly referred people for building mud beds is now defunct. I happen to have their instructions with pictures on Word. How would I make a link? Would I have to post it on my own website or what? I'd be willing if it would help others. I would think a sticky would work, too if that is viable. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-16, 02:45 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You could use Dropbox and make it public.

If you want to build a website here is a site that offers a free starter site. They even have a DIY section of websites. http://pdhomes.net/

Old 03-07-16, 04:12 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Send it to the other half of this site to post as an article. The only problem with that is the info and directions are proprietary to Ontario Tile. Maybe the other side of the site could use it as a guide to create their own with direction from us. We may have to document the next build and put it together for ourselves. I've got a couple coming up this summer.

Old 03-07-16, 05:08 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you decide that you don't want to use Dropbox or something similar, you could register your own domain & pay a hosting company to host it. chandler.com & larrychandler.com are already taken so you'll have to think of another domain name. Check prices before you go that route.

Old 03-07-16, 06:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The site I posted has limited free sites. Honestly a bit surprised to see the URL still working. It's been around since the turn of the century. Owner seems nice. He use to help WebTVers* who didn't have computers set up their own Web sites.

*WebTV a device for accessing the internet and doing email on your TV.

Old 03-08-16, 02:19 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Chandler, I agree with Ray. If you just want to share pictures and files, you may want to look into DropBox. I use it heavily and if you look at some of my posts, I even embedded links when I am posting on DoItYourself forums.

Here is an example of a recent Dropbox usage on this forum (post #2):
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...s-flowers.html

I had to use Dropbox for this purpose because:
-this forum has a file size upload limit (boo boo boo! Hahahaha, just kidding! Completely understand)
-with a file size limit means that I would have to reduce the resolution and therefore, others will not be able to see those pictures clearly

Dropbox is for free. The other recommendations are Microsoft One Drive or Google Drive.

Basic Instruction for Dropbox:
You basically register for an account. They automatically gives you 1 or 2 gb for free.
You create a new folder. Upload your Microsoft Word Document into this folder.
Once uploaded, you right click on the folder and share the link. Copy that link and paste to your post. There is a Link area that you can maintain all of your links as well if you later want to break the link.

This is also another security practice that I recommend. When you send files(as attachments) through email, those files stay on the email servers. Later on, if you get famous like Sarah Palin, your email can be hacked and all previous attachments can be obtained. When you upload to Dropbox, you can delete at your discretion when you are done. You only send the links, not the attachments.

There is no need to download and install the Dropbox EXE. Everything can be done from the browser, accommodating your question.

Here are also a handful that I have used in the past (that can be password protected):

TransferBigFiles(Password)
HighTail
WeTransfer(No Login)
StreamFile
SendSpace(No Login)
SendLargeFilesFast(Password)

FYI... Building a website (even excluding eCommerce) takes time to maintain and frankly it is an overkill for your situation, basing on the title of your thread.

If you want to go that route, here is a cost effective route: http://www.webstarts.com

Last edited by WRDIY; 03-08-16 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-08-16, 03:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I already have my own websites, and use Dropbox. I use Dropbox for personal cloud storage, and would be a little reluctant to post general things to it, with a fear my stuff could get out. I am sure there are safeguards, but who do you trust? Using my own website(s) could be considered a conflict of interest, so it may not pass the muster. I'll mull on it a while as I think the information contained in the previous site's post is quite helpful. We can try to talk someone into building a shower pan, but this article is concise and the pictures make it easy to follow. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 03-08-16, 03:26 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chandler
I use Dropbox for personal cloud storage, and would be a little reluctant to post general things to it, with a fear my stuff could get out.
I am with you on this and completely understand. I was at that cross path too. That is why I have multiple Dropbox accounts, just as I have multiple email accounts.

Frankly, I keep my Dropbox for the general stuff whereas I use Google Drive and Microsoft One Drive for other purposes. Each of my email account serves a different purpose and each of my Dropbox account serves a different purpose, same practice goes for my credit cards.

Well, just a thought and good luck on your path.

Old 03-08-16, 05:48 AM
W
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Test Photo

I did a test run from Word to DIY reply. Here is what I did:

In Word: Select all; Copy

Go to Paint: Paste; Save As and select JPEG as document type.

In Photobucket: Upload photo and you know how to get it to DIY. Hope this makes sense.