Power supply over heating?

Old 03-08-16, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Power supply over heating?

I have an older Acer desktop (Aspire E 700 series) PC that over time I've upgraded different parts. One was the power supply when I put in a new graphics cards. That was about 3 or 4 years ago. A couple of years ago I put in an new 1 TB WD Caviar Black WD 1001FAES hard drive. That is starting to make some weird noises just in the past few days and they are sporadic. The processor is a Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 quad Ram is 4GB.

I don't know if I need a new power supply or if the hard drive is getting ready to croak. The air coming out of the power supply fan is way too warm, so I assume it is over heating. About a week ago the kids were playing some PC games and the power supply started making this noise like the fan was struggling. That's the first time I realized the air coming out of the fan was so warm. I immediately shut the PC down and let it cool down. Since then the air is warm. All fans are working, but I took the side case panel off so it stays cooler in there. I hate to have to replace the hard dive if I don't have to, although that would probably be easier than changing out the power supply and making sure everything gets hooked back up right. I didn't put the power supply in, I had it done, which I probably would do again if need be. Is the hard drive making noise because of the power supply, or is the power supply over heating because of the hard drive?
This is a pic of the power supply side panel.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-16, 01:05 PM
Most likely it is the hard drive going bad if the hard drive is constantly making noises.

Have you clean your power supply from dust? There is a proper way to clean it which you can find on YouTube. Don't just blow air into it but you have to prevent the fan blades from spinning. I do a clean on my computer every 6 months because dust in a computer is an absolutely :NO NO NO::NO NO NO:

If you get a new power supply, the chance of it fixing the noise from the hard drive is low. In other words, I doubt that they will fix each other.

I also leave the side panels open on all of my computers. This actually helps with the longevity and life span for the hardware. In the last 15 years, I have only had 3 hard drive failures and 2 PSU failures. Two hard drives died because of me (on another experimentation). One died of natural cause. Same goes for the PSU. I have only owned one WD, not a big fan of them. I abuse my hard drives like there is no tomorrow, even dropped some since I hotswapped. They took a licking and still keep on ticking. The point is, I am a big believer that dust and heat accumulation can be harmful for your hardware.

Old 03-08-16, 02:18 PM
Also, before you replace your PSU, you may want to buy a tester and test it:

http://www.amazon.com/AODE%C2%AE-Pow.../dp/B00F6J5KNC

When I was fixing my neighbors and friends computers, I always test their PSUs before I make recommendation of replacing them. I have only found 2-3 out of a ratio of 10 computers where the PSUs are defected.

Old 03-08-16, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 378 Votes on 355 Posts
What needs to be established is whether what you're hearing is a fan bearing noise or the hard drive. A fan can be spinning but not fast enough to cool properly.

Old 03-08-16, 02:29 PM
As for testing your hard drive, you can remove it and use something like this to connect to another computer:

http://www.amazon.com/SATA-Drive-Ada.../dp/B017Q60EAQ

Then use something like CrystalMark to write high volumes to your disk so that you can see if you can mimic the noises.

Download Center - Crystal Dew World

Instead of CrystalMark, I actually use an eraser software to write into the empty space. I wouldn't recommend this to everyone because wrong usage of the eraser software will wipe your entire drive but for me, that is how I test all of the unused space.

There are other methods that I use to isolate if it is a hard drive problem. Ultimately, if there is a noise coming from the hard drive, 8 out of 10 times, hard drive will fail soon. My hard drives rarely fails but when fixing my neighbors and friends computers, this is a common symptom. Usually, if they don't want to change their drives out yet, I usually make them buy new hard drives and I clone them in early stages so that when it does fail, there is at least a backup in a point of time for them. You may want to do the same for a safe piece of mind.

There is another thread started by "BluesBreaker". This is a good time for data backup.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/co...ard-drive.html

Old 03-08-16, 02:47 PM
I just watched one of those u-tube videos. Man that one guy sure had a load of dirt and crap in there, wonder what the rest of the unit looked like. I try to keep mine as dust free as possible. I clean it every 3 or 4 months, and I mean really clean it. Will admit though I have never cleaned that one. Probably because you have to pull it out to do it. LOL If I have to pull it out I might just as well replace that too. Components don't cost as much as they used to.
The first WD hard drive I had was really quiet. This one has always made a lot of noise, not unusual noises, just loud. I have a 2TB external HD for backup. I just backed it up a couple of weeks ago, even made an ISO just in case. I also back up to DVD occasionally. I have had to defrag the HD more than usual so I guess I better start looking for a new one. I was just getting ready to do the windows 10 upgrade too. Better to put it on a new HD than one that failing.
Funny too cause my buddy and I were just talking about getting a white case and doing a build from scratch.

Old 03-08-16, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Home Wrecker
Funny too cause my buddy and I were just talking about getting a white case and doing a build from scratch.
Frankly, computers that are bought (vs build) usually have cheaper hardware in them. I don't want to offend those who bought their computers but I find there is a pattern to this. I bought a few for my sisters as birthday gifts, these computers have low quality parts in them. Ironically, those are the ones that I end up fixing.

As for upgrading, you may want to look into a SSD for the OS, both for performance and durability (no moving parts). I did have one WD SSD (2nd generation) junked out on me already. I bought two identically and only one survived.

Last edited by WRDIY; 03-08-16 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 03:36 PM
I have no qualms about trying to building one, just finding what out what is compatible with what. Take for instance I just tried to find the same supply. Clearly out dated, probably was when I bought it. This is all I could find with about the same specs. Size wise it fits the case, watt wise is what concerns me. What determines the amount of power the system will handle???

Attached Images  
Old 03-08-16, 03:48 PM
Without getting into the long explanation, this is a good start: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

Also, I usually buy 1.5x wattage more than recommended "load wattage". So for example, if that site returns 400 wattage for the "load wattage", multiply 400 to 1.5 and you will get 600 wattage. For my purpose, I usually buy between 700 to 1000 Watts (Modular) for future expansion.

Last edited by WRDIY; 03-08-16 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 11:52 PM
I have to agree about home built desktops being better and much better by far than any Acer computer out there. I have had nothing but trouble with Acer's and some other brands too but especially Acer computers. If you go the home built route I suggest a Cooler Master mid tower case as among all of the cases that are out there that one in my opinion is the best. As for leaving the case open I disagree with that idea as more dirt accumulates faster inside the case. I have done both and in my opinion the components last longer with a closed case.

The important thing is having enough fans many cases including home built cases don't have enough fans or they are of poor quality. When cleaning your power supply never open the case doing so voids the warranty and poses danger of electric shock or damage to the power supply or both. I would use a can of compressed air made for electronics to clean the inside of the computer. If you do anything around the house that might create dust then clean your computer more often. Usually a hard drive makes a grinding noise when it is about dead.

If your hard drive is making a grinding noise then it is time to replace it. If after cleaning your power supply it is still unusually warm then it is time to replace your power supply. As for wattage I agree a computer can usually handle a little bit higher wattage but the more wattage the more heat it generates. I personally wouldn't put in much more money in the Acer the case may already be too small for the power supply and may not allow for enough dissipation of heat. That is the main reason I like building my own computers.

Old 03-09-16, 08:18 AM
You are right, most of the Acer components were crap. I've replaced just about everything but the processor and mother board.
Yeah a grinding noise is kinda what I'm getting, plus the thing is taking longer and longer to boot up. I just ordered a new HD ( and new CD/DVD writer). Going to hold off on the power supply until I see if the new HD makes a difference.
If I do a new build I would still be using the Acer case. It's a good size, plus a no tool build. I don't want one of those huge gaming towers. This one is 17.5 H X 19.5 L X 8 D. It fits inside my desk if I want to get it out of the way.

WOW WRDIY never new that calculator was there. What an awesome tool. Popped out a power supply in seconds. It actually suggests a the EVGA 500 W180, great price on Amazon too.