AVG Anti virus

Old 03-09-16, 10:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
AVG Anti virus

Someone installed the Free Version of AVG on my Lenovo PC running Windows 7 when I bought it, upgraded to Windows 10 awhile ago. Now I am getting an error message that AVG is turned off, and need to enter a licence number to restart it. My computer store told me to uninstall it and download a new free version and just use that. No luck uninstalling it, and no luck downloading a free version to replace it. I called their help line and that was a waste of time, got a guy in the Phillapines that wanted to sell me a package plan. Think there is a Norton Program in the hard drive, but it doesn't come up in the APPS when I try to activate it. I figure those to are banging against each other, but I don't know how to remove them.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-16, 10:19 AM
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
Try using one of these.

IOBit Uninstaller

PC Decrapifier

Ashampoo Magical Uninstall

GEEK UNINSTALLER

When you get it off then don't get Norton's or any other 3rd party anti-virus. Go to MS and get Defender and leave it at that.

Old 03-09-16, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
I used to use AVG but switched to Avast many years ago and have been happy with the free version of that.

Old 03-09-16, 10:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
My question is, HOW did you try to uninstall it? Did you try to use the AVG uninstall app? Did you use the windows uninstall process?

Personally, I have used AVG free for probably 15 years or so. I've not had an issue. I've been happy with it. I understand everyone's preferences & experiences are different but I've been happy with the free version of AVG.

Old 03-09-16, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
I should clarify - I dumped AVG when version 8.0 came out and was the resource hog to which AVG was supposed to be the alternative. I have heard they rectified that problem long ago but I never felt the need to switch away from Avast.

Old 03-09-16, 12:37 PM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
AVG Remover eliminates all the parts of your AVG installation from your computer, including registry items, installation files, user files, etc. AVG Remover is the last option to be used in case the AVG uninstall / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.
AVG | Download tools and utilities

The free version of AVG antivirus collects your browsing habits so AVG can sell it to outside commercial interests. "We use data that does not identify you, called non-personal data, for lots of purposes, including to improve our products and services and to help keep our free offerings free."

And their paid version includes annoying crapware that you can't select to NOT install and you can't uninstall (apart uninstalling the whole shebang), such as their SafeZone Browser.

Old 03-11-16, 02:04 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Download & run one of the uninstallers. Whatever you do, don't install Norton. I don't use any AV programs. 3/4 million new viruses appear daily, according to Dave Perry formally of Trend Micro. There is no way that they can update your dat files, in a timely manner.

Old 03-11-16, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
I can certainly agree with staying away from Norton - resource hog and dang near impossible to uninstall cleanly.

Pulpo - don't you use a registry lock or something like that?

Old 03-11-16, 02:36 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Pulpo - don't you use a registry lock or something like that?
Yes I do. Here's the site:

Mark Jacobs' Free 32-bit Windows Software

Old 03-11-16, 03:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
On an older slower computer I had AVG, and it was a HOG. Uninstalling it was like uninstalling Norton or McAfee.....near impossible without surgically deleting associated files one at a time. I switched to Avast and am quite happy.

Old 03-11-16, 06:28 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Uninstalling it was like uninstalling Norton or McAfee.....near impossible without surgically deleting associated files one at a time.
That's 100% correct. AV programs take over your machine. While virus writers are guilty, a PBCAK makes it easy, for viruses to be installed.

PBCAK = problem between keyboard & chair.