Verizon issues?

Old 03-14-16, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Verizon issues?

Anyone else using Verizon and having issues. After coming back from weekend all of a sudden Verizon seems to be screwed up. Logging into email server is about a 50-50 proposition and I just went on their website to login and see what's up and the log-in times out. Nothing else seems to be affected, although earlier today some of the website pages seemed to be a bit slow loading. Anybody else???

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-16, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
Do a speed test... Does that turn up normal?

Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

My computer with win 10 was acting slow and messed up for several weeks.. freezing up, flash crashes etc..

I finally narrowed it down to fiefox.. I have since deleted it after 10 years of use. I now have chrome...

All I can say is night and day... I downloaded the adblock plus app and I am rocking and rolling...

FF had its day but they can no longer keep the browser steady and free from issues...

Old 03-14-16, 05:58 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have been so lucky with FIOS. It hasn't hiccuped once. Test it with a second machine, maybe a friend's laptop?

Old 03-15-16, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Speedtest good, also checked with second computer, laptop via wireless. Seems to be limited to actual Verizon services, i.e. email and their website. Odd, mostly just a little annoying.

Old 03-15-16, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, tried Verizon's site from my tow buddy's computer (there now) and don't see any issues. Will have to investigate further back at house later. Other than being switched off for the weekend while out of town, nothing done to computer, plus it's also problematic on the laptop, so maybe phone line/modem issue. Already tried cycling the modem and that made no difference. Ditto renewing IP address. Will check phone line for noise first chance I get.

Old 03-15-16, 11:40 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Tow Guy, you have to check your connection with a 2nd computer not your friend's connection.

Old 03-15-16, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
tow-guy-

I’m a very cynical guy but I have to ask: “Did they install FIOS in your neighborhood recently?”.

I’ve had 2 Verizon land lines for years without any problems. However, all of a sudden in the last year or so, since FIOS became available in my neighborhood, there have been multiple problems with the landlines- every few weeks. Last time the Verizon tech mentioned “Well you could always switch to FIOS”.

I’ve been bombarded with FIOS advertising and being the cynic I am I can just imagine some enterprising manager coming up with creative ways to get people to switch – lol.

Old 03-15-16, 08:51 PM
Several points have already been made that I agree with first though the_tow_guy a question are you using Verizon DSL? Few people are now and I think the main reason is throttling on the part of Verizon as I do believe that Verizon wants everyone to sign up for FIOS. Another point that was made is that perhaps it is the browser Firefox. It could be I use a cousin to Firefox and that is Waterfox and I have issues with the page reloading twice when logging into my e-mail. The auto reload is annoying but now I am used to it and just ignore it.

The auto reload only happens once and then it doesn't do it again. Chrome I think is good but I just prefer the Mozilla Firefox family better for some of its features so I stick with it. Regardless of whether you have DSL or FIOS I think a speed test was a good idea and since it came back good then you can eliminate that. So I think I would check different browsers and see if that helps. However it could be the OS itself as I just recently had two crashes on Windows 10 I ran CHKDSK and now things seem to be working well.

Old 03-16-16, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
Pulpo, read post #4 and FWIW I've been fiddling with computers for ~30 years and that's computer troubleshooting 101.

ZD, there's FIOS at the pole, but it's been there for quite some time.

Hedge, running Win7/FF browser until they pry my cold dead hands from it. Also Verizon DSL for the time being (DISH for "cable"). I say that because of the Verizon Fla sell out to Frontier Communications last year involving phone, internet, and cable (but not cell). Still waiting to see how that all falls out; not sure what will happen to Verizon FIOS, plus I happen to like Dish for "cable".

Repeating an earlier comment, this only appears to be an issue on Verizon-related pages. Just tried again to log in on verizon.com/business log in and it times out. Then tried it with IE11 and get message page cannot be displayed. Starting to think this is related to the sale to Frontier.

Old 03-16-16, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you familiar with tracing the route your computer takes to get to an internet server? do a web search for "tracert" for the syntax. It should give you an idea of where the delay is occurring. try it using some known good ip addresses and some suspect ones to see if you can tell where things are going awry.

- Peter

Old 03-16-16, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks. In the deepest recesses of my brain I faintly recall that. Will have to bone up.

Old 03-16-16, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Oddly enough, all the times I checked mail this morning it never failed to connect to the server. Previously it was 50/50. Will see how it is tonight.

Old 03-18-16, 04:00 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If you type tracert in a command prompt with no arguments or switches, it will give you the options. Basically, it's tracert whatever.com or tracert IP_address. Don't forget the space after tracert.

Old 03-19-16, 10:29 AM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
I keep a copy of a "good" tracert for reference. Rarely need it, but when I do, it's very handy.

Old 03-24-16, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Just to update this thread, the issue fixed itself before I got around to exploring further. No email server issues or logging onto website anymore.

Also got a letter the other day from Frontier Communications announcing their start of service from the Verizon sell-out effective 01 April. Will have to see how this goes.

Anyone familiar with or have Frontier for comm's/internet provider?

Old 03-24-16, 06:20 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Yeah, I have Frontier. When Verizon sold out their western holdings to Frontier I had both FiOS Internet and the Verizon Freedom Phone. I attempted to cancel the telephone portion but found out a week later (still had outgoing calling) that Verizon canceled the order because I was retaining the Internet and they did not have my credit card on file. They never notified me that I had to have the CC because they didn't bill for Internet only, subscribers had to have a CC on file for billing purposes.

Once I got that out of the way I waited until the final Verizon bill arrived and paid it in full. I received a receipt from Frontier dated July 4, 2010 stating the account was paid in full and this was the final bill.

On August 6, 2010 I received a letter from a collection agency requesting immediate payment of that same final billing amount. I sent them a scathing letter (and a copy of the final receipt from Frontier) stating they could pound sand. I never heard another thing on that subject.

More recently my credit card expired as of the end of February. Frontier started sending me notices in early January that my card was about to expire. I finally had to call them to get it straightened out.

Not the most responsive company I have ever dealt with but I will say that when my ONT (optical network terminal) crapped out and I lost Internet they replaced it within two days. On the other hand, the Internet service was light years ahead of Comcast.

My sister, who lives about eight miles from me, originally had Comcast for Internet and had so much trouble she went with Frontier. She has been having trouble with her speed lately and they were going to send someone out this week. I'll have to ask her how that went.

Old 03-25-16, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks, Furd. Near as I can tell I won't need to do anything regarding billing, etc, other than to register for on-line account access; everything just switches over. Will have to look into what's available for plans and services later on to see what's different/better than Verizon.