Google Sheets question

Old 03-18-16, 04:39 PM
Received 93 Votes on 85 Posts
Google Sheets question

Does Google Sheets have a function similar to Excels "Fill" function? I want to extend a series of columns that automatically label each column with a date spaced every two weeks.

I know I can use a formula such as =3/18/2016 +14 and copy across t he sheet.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-16, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Norm you wouldnít use constants; you would not get what you want. If you wanted to start in column ďCĒ for example, you could type this:

=TODAY() + ( COLUMN() -3 ) *14

Google sheets has the TODAY() and COLUMN() functions:

https://support.google.com/docs/table/25273?hl=en

Old 03-18-16, 08:51 PM
Thanks zoesdad.

I don't fully understand. The above formula works just fine as it should. However so does the work around I suggested in my first post. I'm getting the same results and it seems simpler.

Perhaps if I better explain what I want. Starting on a particular date such as today, I want to label each adjoining column with a date that is every two weeks from the previous one.

OK. Hold on. As I'm writing this post I think I see the miscommunication. I don't need or want a dynamic (best term I can think of at the moment) cell formula. All I need is to make a header label for each column for a years time span. Each column will be dated in two week intervals. They are only labels and once listed won't be changed. I was just looking for a quick way of doing it as opposed to typing each column label separately. But even if I change a label date at any time or on any column the subsequent dates will change accordingly. My goal is to maintain a list of items to be check on a two week time table.

I have used the Today and Column functions in the past in Excel (Although I have a hard time following the sequence of events). But in this case I just needed a quick way of filling in cells in a series similar as to Excels Fill function. But Google apparently does not have that.

Appreciate your reply.

Old 03-19-16, 01:34 PM
Norm Ė

Yep! What I did would actually change the dates on the column headings each time there was a recalculation. I guess that would seem to be almost always useless in any scenario (I did not pay enough attention) and exactly backwards from what you want. My bad!

Iím no expert in Excel for sure (use Excel a little) and know virtually nothing about Google sheets. But have you tried to enter the Date (Date 1) into a cell, and then enter another Date which is 14 days later than Date1 into the cell on the right, and then select those 2 cells, and finally use the fill handle and drag the fill handle out to the last column you want to fill?

It sounds like Google sheets may recognize that pattern in the first 2 cells and create a series of dates incrementing each successive date by 14 days.

But Iím not sure if thatís what you want or thatís actually like the Fill function in Excel or if it will work Ė LOL!!!

Just tried this on google sheets-

enter the Date (Date 1) into a cell, and then enter another Date which is 14 days later than Date1 into the cell on the right, and then select those 2 cells, and finally use the fill handle and drag the fill handle out to the last column
That worked, but I'm not sure that I am understanding and maybe I'm simplifying what you need.

Last edited by zoesdad; 03-19-16 at 04:00 PM. Reason: used google sheets
Old 03-19-16, 06:15 PM
It sounds like Google sheets may recognize that pattern in the first 2 cells and create a series of dates incrementing each successive date by 14 days.

But Iím not sure if thatís what you want or thatís actually like the Fill function in Excel or if it will work Ė LOL!!!

Just tried this on google sheets-

enter the Date (Date 1) into a cell, and then enter another Date which is 14 days later than Date1 into the cell on the right, and then select those 2 cells, and finally use the fill handle and drag the fill handle out to the last column

That worked, but I'm not sure that I am understanding and maybe I'm simplifying what you need.
That's exactly what I want. Now that you showed me I can kick myself for not realizing how simple it is. I already used my formula to make my spread sheet and it will do the job. But next time I need to do a series fill in I'll know what to do.

As for your earlier statement about your original formula being useless, far from it. I have used it in the past, but for the life of me can't find out where. I do remember it took me a long time to work out the logic to using it and now it's all lost to me. The price of getting old.

However, it's a known fact around where I work most people will do repetitive calculation in their heads or on paper, while I will spend many hours one night working out a spread sheet that will do the calculations so I don't have to them in my head on a regular basis. They laugh at me, but are quite amazed at some of the spread sheets I've made.

My motto is " If it can be tracked, quantified or analyzed, I will spreadsheet it."

Thanks again for your insight.

Old 03-20-16, 08:43 AM
Glad I was of some help Norm!

My motto is " If it can be tracked, quantified or analyzed, I will spreadsheet it."
I think that is a great motto. I know those people I worked with in the past who were extremely competent seemed to always be the very same people who were also extremely methodical about how they kept track of things. Seems like it goes together.