Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Computers, Internet Capable Devices and Peripherals
Reload this Page >

Can I install RAM exceeding current spec to plan for future motherboard upgrade?

Can I install RAM exceeding current spec to plan for future motherboard upgrade?

Old 03-24-16, 10:58 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts

My current ASUS motherboards is compatible with DDR3 speeds 1066, 1333, 1600, and 1800 on 2 X 240 pin DIMM slots.

Can I install higher speed DDR3 RAM modules that exceed speed rating of this motherboard........for example DDR3 2933 (PC3 23400)? Will it just function at the highest DDR3 speed offered by my current motherboard? Or will it not function at all?

I am interested in doing this in case I upgrade to a faster, more powerful motherboard in the future. Then I would already have the faster RAM I could just switch from old to new board.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-16, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
Maybe, depends on compatibility sometimes as well. My motherboard is supposed to handle 1600 and so I bought an 8 GB stick of 1600. Somehow, the motherboard thinks that's overclocking and only runs 1333. In the end, that seemed good enough so I didn't look into it any further but my guess has always been I bought RAM that wasn't quite compatible.

Old 03-24-16, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buying RAM that is rated higher speed than the motherboard recommended, may or may not work. I did buy a higher speed and luckily, my motherboard did accept it.

As for future proofing for a new motherboard in the future, by that time, more than likely, there are faster RAM made for the new board.

Usually, it is upgrading RAM for Motherboard. Vice Versa is a bit less frequent but others may have been able to do it.

You are on DDR3. DDR4 is already out and running.

Old 03-24-16, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
I have also used faster RAM then my Mobo would run. It worked fine, it just clocked at the slower speed.

Old 03-24-16, 02:55 PM
Have you heard of an instance where this overpower RAM module(s) didn't function at all, or if this practice caused any damage?

Old 03-24-16, 04:18 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
you could have compatibility issues like others mentioned but it could run fine also would probably look at the 1600 or 1866 speeds for your upgrade to be less likely to have issues.
the problem with upgrading the motherboard is ram and processor sockets both will have changed so its not really feasible to upgrade just a motherboard and your really looking at another build with a new motherboard, processor and ram even if you can use some of the old parts like hard drives or case and power supply.

Old 03-24-16, 06:14 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't see what the RAM in the current motherboard has to do with a future motherboard. The future MB may not be compatible with today's RAM. MBs are very picky. Don't paint yourself into a corner.

Old 03-24-16, 06:30 PM
I agree with Pulpo motherboards are very picky and trying to go with a different speed of memory may or may not work. Also as was mentioned motherboard specs are always changing and new forms of memory also come out too. Memory though is not the only thing to consider as far as speed is concerned, you also have to consider CPU speed as well so pay close attention to both memory and CPU speed when upgrading to a new motherboard. When I last bought an AMD motherboard the Phenom II processor was about the fastest with quad core now it isn't.

Neither is the memory it is a bit out of date but for now it works fine for me as I don't use my desktop for gaming. So I would save my money on memory for now and wait until you get a new motherboard.

Old 03-24-16, 06:59 PM
Personally, I try to avoid upgrading in general. At most, maybe I will upgrade the memory or the graphic card.

Just a personal preference: I feel when upgrading, the "no longer" used hardware just sits around. I rather save my money and leave the computer in tact and build another new one. Then I will have 2 computers rather than 1 dragged out computer. But it depends what you are seeking for. If you don't have the money, yeah, I can understand dragging out the life span of the computer.

When I used to replace RAM, I have RAM modules just laying around the house. After a while, I just lose track of the RAM modules and graphic cards.

Old 03-24-16, 10:00 PM
Good points to consider. I did find a new motherboard that is compatible with my current CPU and it will accept my current RAM modules or much faster DDR3 RAM. Doesn't seem worth the $40 to increase the same speed RAM to 8GB. Would make more sense to replace motherboard first as one of you suggested.

Old 03-25-16, 12:53 AM
Temporarily Suspended
You have seen the light. There is one other thing to consider. Whatever motherboard you buy, make sure that the BIOS doesn't have Secure Boot just in case you want to run something other than Windows even if it's in a virtual machine.

Old 03-25-16, 01:15 PM
It would also be a good idea for me to run a power supply calculator online before upgrading any components. My new hard drive is already forward compatible for a more powerful board upgrade