hp 3150 laserjet printer not found by my computer

Old 03-29-16, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hp 3150 laserjet printer not found by my computer

I have a hp 3150 laserjet printer that worked with a previous computer that I had.
A few months ago I got a refurbished hp intel core2 3.00 GHZ 64 bit computer. Because it does not have a D25 parallel port for the printer, I bought a hp deskjet 1513 printer that connected by a USB port. This works fine. But buying ink cartrige is not cheap.
I unpluged the USB of the hp deskjet 1513.

I got a connector ( USB DB25 ) and connected my old hp laserjet 3150 printer to my hp computer.

( I have Windows 10 ).
I tried adding a printer and got the displayed message " The printer that I want isn't listed "
How do I let my hp computer connect to my old hp laserjet 3150 printer?
The total length of cable from the hp 3150 to the hp computer is 16 feet.
( 10 feet of old hp laserjet 3150 cable plus 6 feet of the USB DB25 connector ).
Ghelp

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-16, 05:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do you have the installation disk for the printer? You may not have the correct drivers installed. Going to the printer properties you should be able to update the drivers. Not sure about combining the cables. Others will have better information shortly, so hang in there.

Old 03-29-16, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 230 Votes on 212 Posts
In addition to getting the correct printer driver installed on your computer I would search the Internet for your adapter cable and see if others are having trouble with it. I have sometimes had trouble with adapter cables.

Old 03-29-16, 08:11 AM
ghelp I think others will double check this but I think unfortunately Windows 10 doesnt support the hp3150. If you look near the end of the linked page here you will find the hp3150.

HP LaserJet - Driver and software support for Windows*10 | HP Customer Support

Old 03-29-16, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Zoesdad hit my fear; that Win 10 wouldn't support the printer in the first place....

Old 03-29-16, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 34 Posts
Looks like they stopped making drivers for it with XP. I don't think it would work even with Win7 or 8.

Old 03-29-16, 08:04 PM
Don't give up on your printer just yet there may yet be a solution. I have a Lexmark printer which I have had numerous problems with once windows came out with a new version. This printer had drivers written for it for Windows XP first and then Windows 7. Windows 10 is backwards compatible to Windows 7 drivers for many things although not all. So the first thing to do is try to find a Windows 7 driver for your printer from the manufacturer if available and if not then forget about using it on Windows 10.

Once you find the driver that I assume you will download from HP right click on the driver and look for compatibility after you have uninstalled the driver that you previously had. Now look for compatibility mode of the downloaded software and it will either say Windows 7 or Windows 8 accept that and run the software it should show up as the installer. Run the installer and follow the instructions the printer should now be working if not uninstall the driver and then try it again as it sometimes doesn't work the first time.

Old 03-30-16, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all the replies

Thank you for all the replies and insights.
Also, it did not work on my older computer with Windows XP.

The driver disc that is with the hp laserJet 3150 is ( as on the label ) for:-
Windows 3.1/3.11
Windows 95/98
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000

I may just have to accept the fact that I cannot connect my hp laserjet 3150 printer to a computer with an operating system later than Windows 2000.

Ghelp

Old 03-30-16, 09:32 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Old 03-30-16, 11:55 PM
You are certainly welcome Ghelp I understand you have more than one computer and that one is running Windows XP. Just a thought and you may or may not want to do anything to change the OS on your XP computer but you could switch to Linux and the easiest one to switch to is PCLinuxOs although there is a learning curve and especially with printers. The OS is free but you have to download it and put it on disk or a flash drive big enough to accommodate the OS you can find out more here So cool ice cubes are jealous » PCLinuxOS .

Many but not all of the older printers are supported but certain things are different when configuring a printer.

Old 03-31-16, 07:13 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Linux

The hp web site in post #9 lists Linux as supported.

Old 03-31-16, 07:00 PM
The following is the latest update in point form.
--- This reply is written to correct my previous statement that hp 3150 does not work with Windows XP. ( my fault )
--- It worked. That is, Windows XP recognizes the hp 3150 printer.
--- I now have two working computers side by side.

Thanks again to all.

Ghelp