Can I Use this as a Computer Back Up System?

Old 03-30-16, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I Use this as a Computer Back Up System?

Hi. I have a laptop and I already have two external drives. I dont want to keep an external drive connected physically to my computer. I want to avoid paying for monthly cloud storage.

Could I use the following product http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digit...dp_ob_title_ce ? I would connect it to my wireless router. I would connect an external drive that I already have to this product and then I would set up an automated back up schedule on my laptop. I think it would work, but I am not sure.

I would connect the router to the product by wire, right? Then I would connect the external hard drive to the product by wire too, right? Would the transmission speed be really slow?

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-16, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
What you linked to is a device for backing up phones, not laptops.

Old 03-30-16, 11:51 AM
Hi. I checked reviews for the product and it backs up pc too.

Old 03-30-16, 12:40 PM
hi stickshift. i contacted kingston customer service and they told me that a laptop can connect to digital mobilelite even though that is not indicated in the product's description.

Old 03-30-16, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by From Amazon
≤Storage not included. User must provide compatible storage device.
I believe you will have to buy the extra Flash Drive or SD card. Yes, it can be used as a backup for a PC, but I am not sure if it is ideal. Plus, it is a USB 2.0 port.

Old 03-30-16, 01:32 PM
hi wrdiy. yes, i already have two external hard drives. i would use one of these to keep the computer back up on. the external hard drive connects directly to the kingston device.

Old 03-30-16, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by User987
I would connect the router to the product by wire, right? Then I would connect the external hard drive to the product by wire too, right?
Can you provide your router's Brand and model number? If your router has a USB port already, you may want to plug your hard drive directly into the router instead.

Old 03-30-16, 01:42 PM
hi. linksys WRT54G V8. unfortunately, i dont think the router has a usb port. and i can't use an ethernet to usb adapter cable.

Old 03-30-16, 01:56 PM
That was my old router so I agree, there is no USB port.

As for this product: MobileLite Wireless G3 & Pro ‚€” Portable Charger, SD Card Reader | Kingston

I was looking for a similar product last year to charge my phone and also backup my photos if I was on vacation and ran out of space. Instead of bringing my laptop, I would connect my phone through this wirelessly and dump the JPEGs and MPEGs on some extra Flash Drive.

I guess if the router (WRT54G) can pick up the product (wirelessly), then it will be able to be used as a wireless file backup median. The Problem is, do you really want to do that with that router? It is a fantastic router for its time. But, the process will cut into your bandwidth, especially during a huge backup.

As for connecting it directly with cable, that router only has Ethernet ports and an Internet port.

Old 03-30-16, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
This seems like a wonky set up to me, why do you want something so complicated?

Old 03-30-16, 04:04 PM
Well, I like that it can also serve as a card reader and a back up battery. I need both. This Kingston device goes for 50. A battery backup can go for 20. I already have two external drives, but I dont want to have one constantly connected to my laptop. I can avoid cloud storage fees, keep the device and the external drive out of sight, and create a "set it and forget it' back up schedule on my laptop. Doesn't that sound pretty good?

Old 03-30-16, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by StickShift
This seems like a wonky set up to me, why do you want something so complicated?
I agree.

Personally, if it was me and for the purpose that you are requesting for, (not for the charging feature), I would invest into a new router that has a USB 3.0 port. You would benefit from a new router and also serves what you are looking (for the intended purpose) and at the same time with a much faster transfer speed.

If you are planning to buy the product above, it is really an improvise for the router that is if you are able to get the router and the product to connect.

Another option that you can do is if you have an old computer, you can network it in with this router and use that computer and your external as a file server. This is an option but not the most cost effective solution for long-term (utility usage) either unless you have greater needs for a file server.

Old 03-30-16, 04:59 PM
Temporarily Suspended
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digit...dp_ob_title_ce

Did you see the second version of that device?

Old 03-30-16, 05:06 PM
It turns out there is an Ethernet port:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg