Comcast Contacts

Old 04-01-16, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Comcast Contacts

Hey. Haven't been here in a while. Got a little problem. I use Comcast email on my computer. My contacts don't match my "TO" and"CC" buttons. Half my contacts aren't in my list and I have others that I used maybe once that show up in my "buttons" that I want out but aren't in the contacts. Normally I would go to my contact list and delete but THEY AREN"T THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE! Others I want are missing but show up in buttons. I tried to enter one I wanted to get rid of in the contact list so I could just delete it. I did just that....now it SHOWS UP TWICE in the buttons

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-16, 03:21 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Contacts

What is your question??????

Old 04-01-16, 11:32 PM
This sounds like a question that only Comcast can answer it sounds like a server problem on their end and nothing you can fix yourself. I have Verizon Fios and when I have a problem with my e-mail I contact them. Not every contact with them has been satisfactory but that is the nature of any ISP unfortunately. I had complained about my e-mail being reloaded and while they sort of fixed it it still isn't like I would like it. You could also change browsers for some reason that helps sometimes and in a pinch I will use Chrome although I don't like it as much as Firefox.

Old 04-02-16, 11:54 AM
contacts

I want to get the contacts I don't want removed from my "TO" "CC" and "BCC" drop down buttons

Old 04-02-16, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 51 Votes on 39 Posts
If you go into your address book, you don't have or see an "actions" tab?

Old 04-02-16, 01:16 PM
contacts

Nothing that says "actions" but I can click on a contact and it shows "edit" "delete", etc. Problem is the contacts I want to get rid of aren't there for me to click on

Old 04-04-16, 10:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 28 Posts
Just to confirm, you say you're using Comcast email. Do you access it via a web browser (Chrome, IE, Firefox), and go to a website like mail.comcast.net?

Or do you use a program like Outlook on your computer which connects to your Comcast email account?

Old 04-04-16, 12:34 PM
contacts

I access it through Firefox. I go to the comcast page and click on the mail link and type in my user and password. I know it is the long way but I am not one of those that has a permanent attachment to my computer/smartphone. etc. I log on when I log on

Old 04-06-16, 12:18 PM
hi diybarbs-

I have Comcast email and also use Firefox. I never use the TO/CC buttons. My Contacts list has 3 people (I have no friends – lol).

So yesterday I did an experiment and added my niece to my Contacts list. She did not show up in the “Select Address” list when I clicked the TO button on a new email, but she was in the Contacts list. But today I did a search through the Contacts list (now 4 entries long) with the search option just as an experiment to see if the search would find the entry for my niece which obviously appeared at the end of the list on the screen. The search did in fact find her in the list.

I then went back and started a new email and clicked the TO button – and lo and behold she now shows up in the Select Address list.

Here is an excerpt I found on the XFinity forum discussing these things:

Re: Unable To Delete Email Address' That I Never Put Into My Address Book

The auto-complete feature in the Comcast address book has it's own memory. You can't access it or alter it. Periodically Comcast will re-set accounts, and at that time entries that have been deleted from your address book should vanish. However, they only do that sporadically, on no particular schedule. So those old addresses could keep popping up for quite a while.

Also, when you type an address into the To: Cc: or Bcc: fields, the feature will remember it if you actually send an email to that address, even if it’s not in the address book. It's actually pretty common behavior with webmail accounts. The address book is actually provided by Plaxo. I have contacted them previously about this and that's how it was explained to me.
That’s not your exact problem but what I bet is that probably the relationship between the TO/CC buttons and the Contacts list and the “Select Address” list is probably a mystery and the real relationship is known only to the developers. Comcast published Help appears to be non-existent on this topic.

It may just be design nonsense we will never know about and in their opinion not worth the trouble to change it. (Way back when I worked in software there was a bad joke: “there is no such thing as a bug, only undocumented features”.

Maybe you would be better off to maintain some kind of file of your own and cut and paste addresses. Haven’t thought about that very much.

But good luck!

Last edited by zoesdad; 04-06-16 at 12:39 PM. Reason: meant Select Address list no Search Addr...
Old 04-07-16, 03:34 PM
contacts

oh well Thanks for trying

Old 04-07-16, 06:31 PM
Sure thing barb, sorry no answer. But I think you had a very good idea adding and then trying to delete. It didnít work but I think those are the kinds of things you can try when you are trying to work around bugs , although Comcast would probably say THERE IS NO BUG and explain to you the way the TO button is handled and showing you that you ďjust donít understand itĒĖ if you could ever talk to them about it, lol.

Sometimes you can get lucky and find the workaround. Maybe if you can stand the aggravation(lol) you can keep looking for a workaround. If I find one Iíll post back.

Old 04-10-16, 10:45 AM
contacts

Thanks anyway. When I get bored I'll fiddle with it some more but I'm not losing sleep over it