Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

GET OUTTA MY SYSTEM TRAY!!!!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

04-13-01, 09:46 PM   #1  
Last year I downloaded some apps that placed an icon in my System Tray and they don't provide an option to be removed from the Systray.

Is there a way I can manage my systray in Win95 so I can get this crap out of there and speed up my cold boot?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

VA

04-14-01, 05:09 AM   #2  
Jack,
You may be able to remove them this way:
right click on a blank area ot the bar, go to properties, go to advanced. You should be able to delete the app of your choice.

CANADA

04-14-01, 05:56 AM   #3  
START/PROGRAMS/STARTUP/
look what is in there , anything in this folder will start on bootup, to remove anything here...

right click on the START button, select open
select PROGRAMS
select STARTUP folder
now remove anything you don't want to automaticly start at bootup.

I usually create a folder on the desktop named Disabled Start Programs, and I move from the STARTUP folder into this other folder which makes it easy to reinstate them later if I wish to.

Once you have done this , then reboot the computer.

This is the first place I would look, and do.

Certain things find ther way into the system box, thru other means, and they can be found thru a free program called Startup cop, which can be downloaded for free at...

http://downloads.mediadna.zdnet.com/...KL.html?se=ink

However you must be very cautious about deleting items this way, as some items are needed for windows to operate properly.

I would check the STARTUP folder before thinking about using startup cop.

04-14-01, 12:53 PM   #4  
dkerr:

I did as you said, but cannot right click on anything in the Start > Programs > Startup menu, as I have 95 not 98.

Any other suggestions?

-Chris

CANADA

04-14-01, 02:42 PM   #5  
Is there anything in your startup folder, I just checked a system with windows 95 2 minutes ago, and it worked exactly like window 98 and me as far as moved things in and out of the startup folder. If there isn't anything in that folder than there is nothing to move.

If you put the move arrow over the start button , right mouse click, select open, then left click on programs, then left click on startup, then from that folder remove what you don't want or move them to the another folder that you can create on the desktop , which will make it is easilier if you want to reinstate it.

If there is nothing in the start up folder. Then tell me exactly what is in the system box that you want to get rid of.

04-15-01, 08:19 AM   #6  
AHHH! Now we're talking!

I right clicked as you said and was able to eliminate one item - "Kremlin Security Sentry", from the Startup File and hence from the Tray. The other item, "SETI Home"(a scanner from Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence), does not appear in the Startup file, and hence cannot be eliminated from the tray.

I do not want to remove that program entirely, but its preferences do not allow for the option of removing it from the System Tray.

Thanks and Peace at Easter,
-Chris

CANADA

04-15-01, 04:03 PM   #7  
Can you give me the web address of SETI, I'll check it out.

CANADA

04-15-01, 09:30 PM   #8  
received email as follows...

Here it is:

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu

Download the STARTUP COP I posted in a previous message, install it.

Now run startup cop
stroll down the list and select SETICLIENT
click/select DISABLE
click APPLY
click OK

Now it won't come up in the system box unless you run the program. If yourun the program, youcan right click on the icon and choose exit. Whenever you reboot it will not come up in the system box if you choose diable when running startup cop.

WI

04-16-01, 05:15 AM   #9  
Its been a while since I used 95, but I think you can use "msconfig" from the run command under start to remove alot of those pesky programs that never seem to go away, even when you de-install them. Before going to win2k (which I hate and am going back to 98) I was able to free up 96% of system resourses, better then the 89% I was getting. I also noticed that a lot of the programs in my systray were not in my startup folder.

One other point, if dr.watson is availible for 95 load the tweakui program from your os cd. will do the same thing as msconfig.

Brian

Search this Thread