New input devices

Old 04-03-16, 02:36 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
New input devices

I need a new keyboard and especially a new mouse. I prefer wireless, in fact insist on wireless for the mouse and would like wireless for the keyboard although not an absolute.

I need a keyboard with oversize keys as the combination of my fat fingers and progressive nerve disease has me hitting two keys simultaneously unless I type VERY slowly and constantly watch the keyboard. I don't need a lighted keyboard (although not against the idea) nor do I need large letters, (I can see and read the lettering just fine) but I DO need larger than normal keys. I've never used a curved keyboard and I don't particularly want to spend a fortune on one and then find out I hate it, otherwise, cost is secondary to function.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-03-16, 04:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I have been using a Logitech wireless mouse forever, and find it a great little item. I also have one of the curved keyboards on my desktop in my office, which I hardly use. It takes a little getting used to, but once you get rolling it is a little more comfortable. I am not sure if it comes in a wireless version or not. To me it is like roller skating. Use the curved keyboard for a day and your hands seem to be locked in the cantered position until you get back to rolling on the laptop. I found my curved keyboard at a charity store, oddly enough. Paid $5 for it.

Old 04-03-16, 05:23 AM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
I also use a Logitech Mouse:

M545 (Not Laser)
Wireless Mouse M545 - Logitech

M510 (Bought this one at Fryes 3 years ago.)
M510 Wireless Laser Mouse - Logitech

M705 (Will upgrade once Costco has it on sale. )
M705 Marathon Laser Mouse - Logitech

Also, I would avoid Logitech Mice that use "DarkField" technology. They are super precise and can go over glass. However, batteries will last only 2 months.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/articles/11539

And one last point, I use my mouse on an aluminum mouse pad. It keeps the mouse clean and the pad can be rinsed with water.
http://www.amazon.com/Nulaxy-Aluminu.../dp/B0126XK10C

As for the keyboard, I prefer a USB wired Kensington or Dell 104-key layout (cheap $15).

Last edited by WRDIY; 04-03-16 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-03-16, 06:15 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you don't want to type anymore, blind people use a speech to text program called Jaws. I know of some blind satellite radio DJs who use it all the time, on IRC. It's not cheap but it might make your life easier.

Old 04-03-16, 06:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Can't help with the keyboard but one more endorsement for a logitech mouse - I have two of the same model wireless, one for the office and one for home.

Old 04-03-16, 06:30 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
You might want to try an AZIO large Print Try color key board. It'
s inexpensive and each key is back-lite in a choice of three colors (red, blue and purple, white is not one of them unfortunately). $21 at Walmart

Azio KB505U Large Print Tri-Color Illuminated Keyboard - Walmart.com

edit: there is also a new 5 color version for $23. I'm think I'm going to get it. It features a brightness thumb wheel to adjust intensity. Again no white light.

Old 04-03-16, 06:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
@WRDIY - Is that aluminum mouse pad cool/cold to work with on the hand?

@Furd - I did a search on "oversized wireless keyboard" and found many hits. The "guys" that sell "ergo" stuff seem to have a good selection.

Old 04-03-16, 07:00 AM
Tolyn Ironhand, temperature wise? Yes, it feels cool/clean to the touch. During summer time, I don't have to be concern with oil or sweat sticking to the traditional rubber mouse pad, not that I have sweaty hands. This pad feels perfect during summer and fine during winter (just like eating on a glass table). Just a very clean mouse pad. Potatoes chips do not grease on to it.

Old 04-03-16, 07:11 AM
I never use a mouse pad. I find them more trouble and taking up space than they are worth. I never have a problem with dirt build up, but I do occasionally wipe the bottom sensor. I just started using a wireless mouse. One of those cheap GearHead units I found at Big Lots. Seems to work great. Auto shut off when left idle for about 10 minutes and right click to re-activate.

Old 04-03-16, 07:20 AM
I have a wood desk. If I don't use a mouse pad, it will leave scratches on the desk.

By the way, the keyboard that you listed at Wal-Mart, is that an online product or can one go and get it at Wal-Mart today?

Old 04-03-16, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
I find a optical mice will track funny on wood grain and other desk surfaces. The pointer will jump around bit which will mess up my targeting in gaming.

Old 04-03-16, 08:00 AM
By the way, the keyboard that you listed at Wal-Mart, is that an online product or can one go and get it at Wal-Mart today?
Good question. I'm going to Walmart today to see if I can get it.

edit...It's not in stock but can be ordered for free pick-up at the store. About a 3 day delivery.

Last edited by Norm201; 04-03-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-03-16, 08:03 AM
I find a optical mice will track funny on wood grain and other desk surfaces. The pointer will jump around bit which will mess up my targeting in gaming.
That's strange. I have a wood grain desk and never had that problem. I have had that on plain surfaces with no pattern without using a mouse pad.

Old 04-03-16, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
No pattern is better then something having a pattern like wood grain. It might just be an issues with my mouse but I am also running a Logitech Mx518 optical mouse so I kind of doubt it. I also don't like to use a wireless mouse do to the lag in games.

Old 04-03-16, 08:44 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I know a lot of people don't like them but I like trackballs instead of mice.

Old 04-03-16, 09:26 AM
Use to use a track ball years back. Was a big fan of touch pads also, but now my weapon of choice is the small mouse even on my laptop and tablet.

Old 04-03-16, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand
I find a optical mice will track funny on wood grain and other desk surfaces.
I experienced the same when the days of playing "Command N Conquer The Generals".

Norm, thanks for checking at Walmart. That keyboard looks cool. Turns out my local Frys Electronic store carries it. So, I may stop by later to pick one up.

Old 04-03-16, 02:04 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Many years ago I bought a Microsoft wireless mouse, the one with the huge receiver on the end of the cord. I still have that somewhere but I don't recall why I stopped using it. Might have been because the battery ran down too quickly or it cost communication too often or something. Anyway, I then went with a Logitech wireless mouse that stated it was for laptop use. I think the only reason why it was so labeled was it was about 2/3 the size of a standard mouse. I used that for several years until it crapped out.

Right now I am using a no-name wireless mouse that I think came with a wireless keyboard. If I am correct I think it cost around fifteen to twenty dollars (with the keyboard) at Target. Anyway, the thing was getting pretty erratic a few months ago and so I took it apart and found it full of cat hair. Yes, this is an optical mouse so I don't know how all that cat hair got inside. I removed the hair, having to remove the scroll wheel to get it all out, replaced the scroll wheel and reassembled the thing. Vast improvement but then the scroll wheel didn't work or in the rare cases it did anything it would just move the page a few lines and mostly in the opposite direction. It has finally gotten to the point where the left button often doesn't work and I need to get something better.

As for the keyboard, I have used PS-2 keyboards that came with the computer, one branded Compaq and one branded HP (the current one) with the knowledge that both computers are made by HP. I've also tried USB as well as wireless keyboards and had varying degrees of success. I have decided that this current keyboard definitely has some mechanical faults over and above my fat fingers and somewhat lack of finger control. I think that one with large keys will help with my fat and less than perfect fingers and that will go a long way in reducing my frustrations as well as being able to go back to touch typing. I have a relatively small desk so space is important and the cord on this keyboard is always causing me problems.

Oh, I haven't used a mouse pad since getting away from the ancient ball style (not a trackball) I rarely have any trouble with the optical tracking even though I have a wood desk with pronounced grain. Since I may use the mouse anywhere on the desk a trackball is probably not a preferred option.

Old 04-12-16, 04:50 AM
Azio KB505U Large Print Tri-Color Illuminated Keyboard - Walmart.com

edit: there is also a new 5 color version for $23. I'm think I'm going to get it. It features a brightness thumb wheel to adjust intensity. Again no white light.
Received my new keyboard. And it's fantastic. The new colors (Chartreuse and Cyan especially) are very bright and makes up for the lack of a white light. The brightness control is very nice feature. I give this keyboard a thumbs up at $23.00.

Old 04-12-16, 05:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I have a wood desk. If I don't use a mouse pad, it will leave scratches on the desk.
I haven't used a mouse pad in years and I just double checked - there are no scratches at all on the wood top where my mouse is used. Mine has an oil base polyurethane finish, latex poly along with lacquer have a softer finish so that might be the cause.

I'm using the wireless mouse that came with my Dell PC. I'm not overly fond of it, mainly because the batteries don't seem to last long [1-3 months] They always seem to die right after my wife gets the last one out of the drawer

Old 04-12-16, 06:29 PM
Norm, that sounds good. I am going have to pick up one at Fryes soon. I bought the Logitech m705 at Costco over the weekend for $30. I have not used it yet but will update once I open it up.

MarkSR, yeah, like the other folks too, they don't have scratches. It is weird, that I have scratches all over my desk. I wonder is it because i eat potatoe chips while I work. The salt gets under the mouse and becomes like sandpaper? I have used so many different types of mice (Microsoft, Logitech, Rockets, cheap mice, etc...). I believe one of them (Rocket) don't have rubber pads underneath and so the edges may have caused these scratches on the wood desk.

If you want a good mouse that has long battery life, you may want to look into the Logitech M510 (posted above). I am using it right now. It is 2 years old. Personally, it is probably one of the best mice I have used. It has no interference and the battery life last about 4-5 months on old batteries (that are done from other remotes or appliances). If I put new batteries in, it should last easily 18 months even though Logitech advertised 24 months. I bought mine on Amazon because it was cheaper than local stores. I used to use Microsoft and Rocket but ever since I have used Logitech, their mice have no interruptions or skips at all. Don't buy any Logitech mice with DarkField technology if you are concern about batteries life.

Rocket was really good but on year 4, it started to have skips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: