Cmos battery socket

Old 04-26-16, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cmos battery socket

Hello
I was tryin to remove the cell form the holder and a very small piece of the plastic holder chipped off.
The battery is still in the holder or receptacle on the board but I still have not changed the 3.V CMOS CR 2032 as the clip does not release it and I have not yet tried to pry it from beneath. I cannot see where it could slide out.
That spring you are supposed to pull back does not release the cell so I will put a small blade under and be careful not to damage the board. Hopefully that will release the battery.
My question is, I have heard and read all sorts of cures for a damaged receptacle or holder on the board like soldering, glue etc.

I am asking asking if electrical tape would be a good idea?
I did not know if the top spring holder is the positive piece that is necessary.
It is a Dell XPS 8300.
I could use the tape to secure the holder for the battery but putting the tape on top in the event the clip is dislodged- unless it is the positive end of continuity for the battery.
So right now, The clip is ok, there is a minor chip on the comer of the holder but it's holding.
I am going to try to push the clip back while prying up and hope it pops out or loosens. I just wanted some other thought before I tried a second time in case.
I already have photos of the BOS set up. I would likely just press F10 to default anyway.
TY
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-16, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
The large outer part of a button cell is positive and is well marked. The negative is the smaller contact on the battery and it usually on the bottom.

You want to use a non metallic tool to remove the battery so it doesn't short out.
The metal clip that holds the battery in IS the + connection and is required.

Name:  coin.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  4.1 KBName:  cc holdeer.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  37.8 KB

Old 04-26-16, 10:51 AM
Here's the service manual: http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/al...nual_en-us.pdf

On page 90 is a diagram showing how to press the battery release lever so the battery will pop out. You shouldn't have to apply much force to the battery once the lever is pressed in, it should just tilt out. I wouldn't worry about the broken part unless it is preventing the battery from staying in place.

Old 04-26-16, 11:46 AM
spring loaded clip

Thanks guys.
Actually, and typical of real life the manual which I have, is way different from the actual clip in my machine. Mine is sort of a very, very small spring loaded type. I am unsure whether to push it down or, away from the battery. I think it is the latter.
That's Dell for you.
I have watched a lot of tutorials and everyone has trouble with it.
I am going to try to lightly push the clip away from the battery, I think, then hope it either pops out or I fingernail the cell out at the same time.
Peter

Old 04-26-16, 03:00 PM
May I ask about the use of electrician's tape if necessary?

Old 04-26-16, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
Usually a small plastic item is used to lift the edge of the battery up in order to slide it out.
I'm not following the question about the tape.

Old 04-26-16, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
If it's a cell holder like I posted.... the metal clip on the top of the cell holds it in as well as carries the positive voltage from the battery to the board. If the clip breaks or comes loose.... electrical tape will not do anything to hold it in place.

Old 04-26-16, 04:50 PM
If the clip is intact I think take could secure the cell -correct?

Old 04-26-16, 04:58 PM
If you need to use a little tape to hold the battery in place because you broke the plastic, that's fine. Just don't position it between either of the metal contacts (bottom or top) and the battery. If you need to, you can insert the battery and just put a small strip of tape over the whole thing.

Old 04-26-16, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
No.... you need to remember..... there is a top and bottom of the battery. The spring pushes down on the battery to connect the + to the circuit but it also keep the battery tight to the bottom of the socket for the - connection.

Old 04-27-16, 06:24 AM
cmos

I understand that nothing comes between the clip and battery or the battery and the board for continuity. I was referring to the tape if the plastic housing on the board was not holding the cell.
But anyway, I would like to know if any of you have worked with the type of clip that looks like it has a spring to it.
Which do you do, pull it up or push it down to release the cell?
Do you pry the battery at all or just use the clip. I would not damage the board by doing any prying against it.
It seems like you pick the clip back from the battery with your nail although I have seen it done with a screw driver. I tried the finger and finger nail yet the battery did not move.

Also I read not to proactively remove it. and to wait till the clock is off.

P.S. The ones who developed and run this site have done a very good to excellent job as all browsers work here and the spell check is great. The volunteers are knowledgeable too.
This was my first forum years ago and it is as good if not better than any other I have used. Thank you for the use of it. If social security went a bit further I would like to help.
Peter

Old 04-27-16, 07:20 AM
Why don't you post a picture of the exact holder you have and we can better advise.

And thanks for the kind words!

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 04-27-16, 08:15 AM
I did read that you are supposed to push the clip away from you but there was no diagram so I cannot be sure it was the same piece. It is sort of a see saw spring and I cannot tell if I should be pressing on the side away from the battery to lift the other side off of the battery or, if I should be pressing the side that touches the battery and push away from the battery. It obviously is delicate b/c if the piece is damaged it will lose connectivity and I'll have to go through a motherboard fix - that's over my head.
I watched an interesting video where the wires wee soldered on top of the board and a replacement holder/receptacle and cell were tied securely.
I will send an image to you asap.
TY
Peter

Old 04-27-16, 01:39 PM
https://youtu.be/EUF5g2QwdzU

This is the best I found.

Old 04-27-16, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
That video isn't terribly helpful.

Check here for a match... google/cr2032/computer battery socket/images

Old 04-28-16, 05:22 AM
Thanks but I could not see it. It is likely b/c the spring, positive part is missing.
Leave it to Dell.
They say push the clip away from the battery but don't say where to lace he pushing object.
It looks like a spring with a piece on each side; one to hold the battery in and the other on the other side of the case.
I'll send that pik asap.