UPS failure ?

Old 05-01-16, 06:10 AM
Received 72 Votes on 67 Posts
UPS failure ?

My UPS is acting strange. It's about 10 years old and the battery was replaced back in 2006. The other day it kept giving a continuous beep. That is suppose to indicate a failed battery. But the red indicator advising of failed battery does not lite nor did the early warning or 3 beeps every few minutes activate. I shut down my whole system including Internet, TV service and server. Plugged them all directly into outlets. Then I plugged the UPS back into an electrical outlet. The unit seemed fine. No warning beeps or red lite indicator. I know the battery is old and had it's life and I'll buy a new UPS, but my concern is does it need a load for the warning or failed state to manifest itself?

It's an APC UPS-ES500

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-16, 06:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
There has been a time or two when mine has beeped for no apparent reason. I always assumed it was just a glitch in the power supply. Continuous beeping has always been an indication that the battery was failing. I'm a little surprised [maybe jealous] that you got 10 yrs out of the battery!

Old 05-01-16, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
At ten years old.... the battery is sure to be shot regardless of any idiot light.
Those things cook the batteries until they're dried out.
Measure it with a voltmeter. If it's ok it should measure around 13-13.5 volts DC.

Old 05-07-16, 06:36 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I always put a label in a visible location on the case "Replace battery NLT mmm/yy" moving yy ahead 5 years. Just a reminder for me or any other knucklehead! I had a few batteries still passing load-tests at 8 years but that was extremely rare.

Old 05-07-16, 06:58 AM
I've gotten lazy. I haven't look at the thing since my last post. Still plugged in directly to outlets! I'll pay dearly for it if I don't get on the ball. Need to look at new units.

Posting dates on batteries is a good idea. I usually do it on most battery replacements.

Old 05-07-16, 08:24 AM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
Following the thread so might as well ask my question. Latest ups died about 3 months ago so I'm also plugged into regular surge protectors. That gives me three dead ones. What I'm considering doing is bringing the wiring to the outside where I can connect it to a full size 12 volt deep cycle battery. I have several batteries that need to come in during the winter, tractor, lawn tractor, trolling battery, and generator. Add in the ups battery and I definitely need a battery management shelf where they can be trickle charged when not in use and be available and ready to go when needed.

Any thoughts on using a larger battery on a smaller ups?

Bud

Old 05-07-16, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
That's an excellent question about larger batteries Bud.

I have used slightly larger batteries on generic UPS units but I'm not sure how well a full sized car battery would be received. The problem would be the excessive load it would present the charging circuit in the event the battery was heavily discharged.

Old 05-07-16, 12:44 PM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
Hi Pete,
Agreed, a fully discharged battery could be more than a small ups was designed for. As part of my battery shelf I will have some solar chargers and other controls and could easily add a circuit that would limit the recharge rate. A full size battery would hold my designated equipment up longer while a slower charge time would not be a problem. Sure would prefer finding something that makes a larger battery possible without making my own.

In time I will have some solar panels and bigger batteries and should be able to run off grid for days.

It is an area where we will be seeing some rapid changes.

Bud

Old 05-08-16, 08:39 AM
deleted total post due to messed up text.

Last edited by Norm201; 05-08-16 at 08:41 AM. Reason: messed up total post .deleted all text
Old 05-08-16, 10:02 AM
Looking for opinions and suggestions.

What I currently have:

APC model BE500R (Discontinued): 8 outlets...4 back-up & surge, 4 surge only
phone outlet and data outlet
can get new from Amazon for about $80...not really an option!

OR

a replacement battery for this same unit at a cost of about $20

OR

The current equivalent unit model BE650G at about $68 or the 550 at about $57

Truth be told I can't tell the difference between any if these choices. What advantage will I get to buy a new unit (BE650g or BE550g, can't see the difference between these two)? Or will the $20 battery replacement be good enough?

PS...I went to the APC power calculator to determine if any of these is overkill or sufficient for my set up but the site keeps crashing.

Old 05-08-16, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Most of those units use a 12v 7ah sealed lead acid battery. Shop around for best price as the quality is questionable with any company. I've changed quite a few batteries in UPS's and they operate fine after that.

The model number denote the wattage. Probably no other difference between units.

Old 05-08-16, 10:53 AM
The current battery is rated at 12v 5Ah. I don't believe it makes any difference if i get the 7 Ah or better. BTW, someone told me that these batteries are great for powering 12v LED lamps even when their just about dead.

Old 05-08-16, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Many times one or several cells will crap out leaving some good cells so you could get LED's to run on a "dead" battery.

I think the 5Ah and 7Ah are different sizes.

Old 05-08-16, 12:11 PM
decided to go this route via Amazon.

UPS Battery for APC BE500R Lead-Acid Battery Replacement 12V 7Ah - Mighty Max Battery brand

Old 05-08-16, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Never heard of the brand. Can't be any better or worse than the others.

Old 05-08-16, 12:34 PM
For the price i figure that way also. The vendor has a high rating and the specs all correspond accordingly. They all come from China so I don't suppose it's any worse than any other brand. Besides, $20 or so spent now is not a big problem. I'm still waiting for my server to take a permanent dump, then I'll get an NES drive instead of the server. At that point I'll need bear minimum power back-up and only surge suppression.