Scanning pictures to memory card ??

Old 06-02-16, 06:07 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scanning pictures to memory card ??

hi, I have a Epson nx400 scanner, my question is can I scan a picture to a memory card without being hooked up to computer,my wife is going to see her aunt who has old pictures my wife wants to scan but her aunt has no computer so instead of dragging our computer with us could we just get a memory card and scan the pictures then put them in our computer when we get home. thanks, hope you understand my question.

Old 06-02-16, 06:34 PM
Received 646 Likes on 571 Posts
There are hand held scanners available. I don't believe you can scan without the computer to provide the program to interpret the scan. The printer will go through the motions but there will be nothing to collect the data. Use a digital camera and then transfer to computer when you get home.

Old 06-02-16, 06:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Would cost a couple bucks but might be worth taking them somewhere to have scanned. I'm with Norm that I think the PC is an essential part of the process.

Old 06-02-16, 06:41 PM
Received 646 Likes on 571 Posts
Do a Google search on

handheld document scanner

Many to choose from. Anything less than $100 will not give decent results.

Old 06-02-16, 07:11 PM
C
Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
The Epson nx400 does not have the ability to scan to its memory card; it requires the Epson scan program running on a PC or Mac to scan.

Others have suggested some alternatives, I have another suggestion: If you have a high resolution digital camera, say 8 or 10 megapixels or higher, then you can photograph the photos rather than scanning them. I have done this with photos that were stuck in an album such that they could not be removed without damage. I aimed a couple of desklamps with daylight LED bulbs from a low angle to the sides through white tissue paper to minimize reflections. The resulting digital photos were very good quality.

Old 06-02-16, 07:15 PM
J
thanks, we'll have to take pictures of them with camera, i'm not sure if she'll let us take the pictures with us and then scan them, thanks again all

Old 06-02-16, 07:44 PM
R
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
I also have taken photos of photos and they came out very good. One thing to try if you are having trouble getting some shots in clear focus, back away a little and use the zoom feature for a clearer picture. I don't know how or why but it seems to work quite well at times.

Old 06-02-16, 08:16 PM
H
Many years ago before I had a digital camera I used a set of copying lenses and a tripod to keep the camera steady. Lenses have changed though so you might not have to buy any other lenses. I found out about the lenses through a camera shop and I suggest you go to a local camera shop and get advice there. You definitely will need a tripod though and having some way of keeping the picture flat might be helpful. If your relative has negatives of the same pictures you can buy hand held negative copiers that record pictures onto a camera card.

You would have to then turn the negative into a positive which you can do with about any photo editing software. The negative readers can be bought at about any good camera shop or online. I don't have a negative reader but my friend does and I have scanned both negatives and pictures using my computer.

Old 06-06-16, 12:37 PM
J
thanks,we went this past weekend, ended up just taking pictures of the pictures ,they came out pretty darn good, thanks again for all your help. jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: