Rain-X For Tablet Screen?

Old 06-06-16, 10:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Rain-X For Tablet Screen?

The thing that really bugs me about a tablet is smudges on the screen. Fingers were the worst of course so I quickly switch to rubber tipped styluses. They still smuged but at least smudges were smaller. So then I tried fabric tipped but I was still cleaning at least once a day.

I just read an article about coating your screen with Rain-X to greatly reduce the smudge problem. Has anyone tried this?

Old 06-06-16, 11:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
Most of the articles I read share the same common idea. Clean the screen first with a micro-fiber cloth. Apply a small amount of RainX to a clean micro-fiber cloth and apply that to the screen. Use a third clean cloth to polish the screen finish.

Don't pour RainX on the screen and don't get it on the case.

Old 06-06-16, 11:41 PM
Yes, those are the instructions I read. But I also read some negative reviews on Amazon regarding its intended use on windshields. Some saying it eventually turned cloudy and was difficult to remove so I was a bit leery about using it.

Old 06-07-16, 02:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
I used to use rain-x all the time when I drove vehicles with vacuum wipers and don't ever recall it getting cloudy but the rain-x wears off of a windshield, not sure it would do so on a tablet screen. Is the screen real glass or plastic? Paint thinner will remove rain-x but can harm plastics.

Old 06-07-16, 05:00 AM
Received 372 Votes on 337 Posts
Never use a chemical directly on a touch screen. I use an anti glare shield on my touch screens. Then I can use most any window cleaner to clean off dirt smudges or anything.

Old 06-07-16, 11:05 AM
I use an anti glare shield on my touch screens.
I just can't master the art of installing. Just couldn't get it on without bubbles. Bought two, screwed up two. Might as well have just put the money I spent in the trash.

Thanks all for your replies.

Old 06-07-16, 11:23 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
I'll give another vote to Norm's suggestion about looking into scratch protectors. Some of them do a really nice job of not picking up fingerprints.

I personally use TechMatte screen protectors on my devices and devices I buy for the company. High quality and reasonably priced. They have a bunch of different options based on what you're looking for.

Just another possible solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: