Supplying high speed intenet connection to ADU

Old 06-11-16, 05:40 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Supplying high speed intenet connection to ADU

I have around 150 Mbps internet at the main house.
We also have ADU - additional dwelling unit - about 60-70 feet across the driveway.
Internet there sucks as it's wireless. 1Mbps at the best.
Looking for good suggestions how to run high speed internet to ADU. ADU has coaxial coming in, but then you have to pay extra each month for additional modem.
ADU is on it's own electric panel so I do not believe those wall plug adapters will work. Or will they? Don't you have to be on same circuit for them to work?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-16, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Power line network adapters do not need to be on the same circuit to work but it might help if they are on the same leg. I have also read that they do not work well on surge protectors. I had some success with a set of them many years ago until they got hit with a power surge. I have now moved to a wired network. I have seen them available for less then $30 so might be worth a try. This also might be helpful: http://www.cnet.com/topics/networkin...line-adapters/

Best option would be to run some direct burial Cat5 cable to the remote dwelling and just share your network that way.

Your other option in to put a wireless transmit/receive on the outside of the two buildings to extend the wireless network. This might be the most expensive option.

Old 06-12-16, 06:45 AM
Thank you.
We'll try those:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-0000...tation+loco+m2

Says 15km range, will be overkill for what we have. It can also be mounted on the window inside, our kitchen window points straight at the ADU. Then all we need is in house WIFI repeater connected to bridge and then have the 2nd bridge installed at ADU.
Will be way better than punching holes in walls for CAT5, running buried conduits and such.

Old 06-12-16, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
Please let us (me) how they work. I also have a remote building with no internet which would be nice to have.

Old 06-12-16, 08:02 AM
Will do. Frys here has similar device but for hundred bucks. We'll go online. We'll need an inexpensive repeater plugged into outlet next to window to get ethernet to bridge. Then connect bridges and set up.
2.4 Ghz is less than 50 bucks but it may have lots of interference so 5.3Ghz may be a better option but then again we live in farmland so 2.4 should be fine.
I like that it can be set up inside the window. Don't want to punch any holes.

Old 06-12-16, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
One thing I noticed is that the one you listed looks like it is for one, so you would need buy tow at $63. I saw some power line adapters for about $30 for two. While the one you posted sounds pretty dang good (15km range is pretty impressive) you might be worth the money savings.

Side question: Your detached dwelling, does it have its own electrical service (IE own meter) and if so, is that electrical service on the secondary side of the same transformer? Another way: Do you only have one transformer on your property?

Old 06-12-16, 08:36 AM
I mentioned ADU is on its own. Has meter. I seriously doubt line adapters will work. Word was they even don't work inside same house if they are not on same leg or circuit or whatever it is electrically.
But yes, we have large greem steel box half way down the lawn and power splits from there to both dwellings.
Son lives there. He budgeted 200 bucks for the project so 2 bridges and repeater are well inside it.
Unless he wants to try line adapters. Always can be returned.

Old 06-12-16, 01:12 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I used the cheapest Ebay Ethernet patch cord I could find to run to an outbuilding. Actually used rope as a messenger "wire". The cable was not outdoor rated but it worked fine till I no longer needed it.

Old 06-12-16, 10:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
I have set up some wireless repeater systems for customers and they were VERY expensive. I can't believe a $64 repeater could work that well but if you look at the customer feedback...... they speak for themselves. I didn't read one complaint about range or dropout. Pretty impressive for the price.

Old 06-13-16, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
I've never had much luck with consumer-grade wireless repeaters, but the Ubiquiti does sound almost too good to be true. I tend to trust most Amazon reviews... so I can't wait to hear how it turns out for you!

Old 06-13-16, 11:35 AM
We are not looking at repeater. We are looking at WiFi radio emitter. Basically it's an antenna that pics WiFi signal and sends it to receiver across whatever distance it's rated for. Similar to dish internet principle.
reason I need repeater is very simple. My modem is on the 2nd floor with no windows facing ADU. There is large kitchen window on the 1st though facing it. Hence, I can set emitter on that window and point it at ADU.
But, I need to provide internet via ethernet to it somehow. Hence, we set repeater next to emitter, repeater picks WiFi in the house and connects it to emitter via short Ethernet cable.
As repetaer is inside the house and well within WiFi range, signal should be very strong.
I saw repeater at Walmart for $35. Plus two Ubiquity Nano stations, NanoLoco 2, $44.5 each.
Looking at about $130-140 total.