dualboot PC with window XP and windows 8.1 then upgrade to win 10 .ideas ??

Old 06-15-16, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dualboot PC with window XP and windows 8.1 then upgrade to win 10 .ideas ??

I'm getting ready to travel a new route with my Windows PC this week.. My PC has 3 Hard drives as well as an external Hard drive .. My Main drive is partitioned 3 ways .. C: drive for Windows XP D: drive for backups and Important files ., E:drive did contain some HiDef Movies which I transferred over to one of hte other Drives under it's own now folder of Hidef Movies .. Back to E: drive which is now formatted and has 112 Gb of space which I will install windows 8.1 ( 32 Bit) ., as my windows 8.1 O/S disks come in two discs One is 32 Bit and the other is 64 Bit .. I will install the windows 8.1 32bit which should now give me the option of upon rebooting PC of picking which windows to boot into ... almost all my daily computer work is and can be done via windows 10 ( or 8 ).. but I do have a major program I need for windows XP and that I can do on a bi-daily basis and will boot into windows XP to complete the operation I need ..

once I am sure that windows 8.1 is up and running I will attempt to transfer over my outlook express emails to Live and once that is complete will migrate certain various folders such as Photos over to windows 8.1 ...

once all is done will update to windows 10 which should in theory transfer over all windows 8.1 programs to new windows 10 and will still have a dual booting PC ( in 32Bit ) ......

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-16, 10:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
It sounds complicated, but do you have a question? Anything we can help with?

Old 06-15-16, 05:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Correct me if I'm wrong. You don't have 3 physical drives. You have 1 physical drive that is partitioned into 3 logical drives. You may not be able install Win 8.1 on E: because it might insist that it be on the first sector. In fact, I'm almost sure of that.

If you are going to take a chance, make sure that you image/backup XP. Consider buying/using a second physical drive instead. Remove the original drive while you install 8.1 & update to Win 10. Then reinstall it & set the two drives to primary & secondary drives in the BIOS. They both need to be marked bootable.

Old 06-16-16, 06:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
The commercial world has evolved past the 32 bit operating system. Assuming this will work in the first place, I would install the 64 bit version of 8.1.

I think I would create an XP virtual machine on the PC instead of what you're planning.

Old 06-16-16, 07:19 AM
I think I would create an XP virtual machine on the PC instead of what you're planning
That was going to be my next suggestion.

Old 06-16-16, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My vote would be the dual boot option. If you need to just run an Application every few days on XP then re-booting seems to me to be an option. I donít think the extra complexity of a Virtual Machine would be warranted in your case. You wouldnít be switching between OSís in anything like real-time.

I set dual booting up for my sister as she had a situation probably similar to yours: she had to run QuickBooks on XP (forced to for clients) every few days but her new Dell computer at that time came with Vista. She could do everything else fine with Vista.

It was a little more complicated because installing XP last can screw up the boot stuff for Vista, but I found a procedure somewhere to fix things up (donít remember what or where) when you install XP last and the installation was fine. But in your case that wouldnít be a problem as you will be installing Windows 8 last.

I would install the 64-bit version as recommended above Ė unless you have some really old hardware which doesnít have 64-bit drivers available. In that case your old hardware would not work. As others said I would definitely back files up first.

ÖYou may not be able install Win 8.1 on E: because it might insist that it be on the first sector...
Are you sure thatís correct? I thought it was the Master Boot Record(MBR) that had to be at sector 0. One of the Primary partitions defined in the MBR is always marked as the active Primary partition and when you boot up the system the boot code stored in the active Primary partition is executed. The newer versions of that code (bootmgr) is smart enough to see that there are other partitions and multiple OSís on the disk and asks you which you want to load.

I think when you install a new OS it actually goes into the old XP partition and updates the boot code there to use bootmgr, so even if the XP partition happens to be marked as the active partition upon boot up you will still be prompted as to which OS you want to load.

At least thatís the way I thought it worked.

Old 06-16-16, 03:42 PM
Yes, the MBR has to be on sector 0. I just did a quick search & one site said to install the newer version of windows last which is the opposite of what I said. I may have been thinking of dual boot with windows & a non windows OS, in which case windows should be first.

Having said that, if the PC in question originally came with XP, there could be a bunch of other issues such as drivers & hardware compatibility problems.

Old 06-22-16, 07:10 AM
thanks for the feedbacks ,..

First problem up : Even though my E drive has 112 Gb of space the screen comes up ( in win 8 start up custom) .. that there isn't enough room to install windows 8 .. "

?? 112 gb is not enough ? so I formatted E right there and then and still reports not enough room .

Ideas ?..

Old 06-22-16, 05:00 PM
Did you boot the machine with the Windows 8.1 CD or did you try to start the install when XP was running?

Old 06-23-16, 10:37 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My 2 cents - I agree with donoli’s question.

I found this video which looks like it describes what you are trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnZS_KCDsaY

I’m no expert and I hardly fool with partitions. But I thought the partition you want to use for Windows 8.1 has to be a “Primary” partition when it is first created. But looking at this video now I’m not sure because it looks like the partition you select is actually dissolved into unallocated space and a new partition formed from that unallocated space. But maybe that’s an exception and the video doesn’t capture the normal case. (I don’t remember squat about installing with multiple partitions,LOL)

I think the steps in the video at the 1:10 mark, where he chooses the partition for Windows 8 and continues the installation seems a little puzzling (to me anyway). Probably just me, but if W 8.1 only requires 20 GB hard disk space then why did the install process automatically grab the 3.5 GB unallocated disk space? Looks like that wasn’t necessary.

You can see where he chooses a Primary partition which he has already created (21.1 GB). There is also unallocated space on the disk you can see (3.5 GB).

After he selects the partition he has already created for the install, in the next step it looks like Windows automatically combined that partition he had already created (21.1 GB) with the unallocated space (3.5GB) – and made it ALL UNALLOCATED space, 25.0 GB.

Then he tells Windows to create a “New” partition from this 25.0 GB UNALLOCATED space – and a new partition is then created with size 24.7 GB.

Maybe you or others can compare the screens in the video to what you are getting and make some sense out of the problem.

p.s. Ahhh - lights coming back on! I think I remember the installers always want to create their own partition - I think, LOL. Also i believe you can use the Diskpart command in XP to examine the current partitioning of the disk(s).

p.s. you really can’t install windows on a logical drive. So if E: isn’t a Primary partition I think that would be a problem. Don’t know what kind of error message you would get in that case, maybe “not enough disk space” but you would think you would get a more direct message. But who knows! (logical drives are on extended partitions).

Last edited by zoesdad; 06-23-16 at 12:40 PM. Reason: p.s. to the p.s