what are these old wires and labels

Old 06-16-16, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi
Bought an old house. Has one phone number.
In one room are three phone jacks, all with dial tone. Two are labeled "data". What could that mean?
In another room is a phone jack with dial tone but also two wires sticking out each with a phone connector on the end but no dial tone. What could these have been at one time?
In another room two wires emerge from a counter top, each with a phone connector but no dial tone. They are both spliced to another wire that disappears into the floor. What could these have been?

I could just cut 'em off and hide 'em but wonder if they might have a use.

I tried to follow them in the walls but failed.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-16, 04:26 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Telephone wiring in an older house could be just about anything. More likely as not all the jacks that have dial tone are the same central office (CO) number. The ones marked data may have been used with a DSL link and you may have a central point somewhere in the house where there is a DSL line filter. This should be close to where the CO line enters the house.

Old 06-16-16, 04:55 PM
thank you

sounds like puzzle that will be a puzzle for some time

Old 06-16-16, 05:47 PM

so I may have tracked one of the wires
seems to go into the basement and then to a doodad that controls heat
is it possible that a thermostat was connected with phone type connectors?

Old 06-16-16, 06:02 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Although telephone wire is really too light (too small of gauge) for thermostats many thermostats ARE connected with telephone wire. Same goes for door bells.

Posting some pictures of what you have might help me or someone else to identify your wiring. Pictures do need to be well lit and in focus.

Old 06-16-16, 06:13 PM
Received 64 Votes on 59 Posts
My own house has pairs of wires like yours, labeled "phone" and "data", and I know why they are like that, because I did it. Our house had 4 wire phone cable in it, so in the days possibly before cell phones, and certainly before most of today's common wireless devices, I thought I was pretty high tech having tandem phone and fax jacks. Of course even fax machines are getting outdatedd now that we can simply attach documents to emails, so we simply have two sets of parallel phone lines, one that's no longer used. So you might want to take a look at the interface, the box on the outside of your home where the lines from the phone company meet the lines in your house, and that may tell you something. As far as leading to your thermostat though, I think you might be looking at wire that look similar to your phone lines, because they are all low voltage, but are a separate circuit completely.

Old 06-16-16, 06:53 PM

Hi

As for the labels thing I will check out the parallel 4 wire idea.

As for the one wire I tracked from kitchen counter thru the basement
in teeny print it says Barostat

And it does go to a zone valve

But in the kitchen on the counter it is divided into two parts and each part has a telephone plug on each end.