wifi slow

Old 06-25-16, 09:50 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wifi slow

Hello been here before. Looking for a little input. I had my router go caput the other day. My laptops could "see" the router but the router wouldn't talk to internet. Tried resetting, unplugging etc...no dice. Anyway my modem is an Arris TG862 which does have it's own wifi (and it's my modem)but I had it bridged. I just preferred to go through my own router and into port one on the modem. Anyway since my router died I unbridged it and set it up that way. Only problem is I can barely get on half the time and another time its a little better but slow. As a test I took the laptop into the room and hardwired it from my laptop to port 1. Instant speed. So I am guessing the wireless part of this modem isn't up to snuff. So maybe just get another router and hook it up that way so I am not using the wireless function of modem. Sound logical?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-16, 01:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I'm not sold on my modem being used as a router, either. I use a Netgear 3G 5G dual band router, and am very satisfied with it. We run a ton of stuff off it and it handles it well. It will let you know when you have asked too much of it, but so far, two phones, two ipads, computer, Microcell, two Roku units, wireless printer. It did great until this week when the grandkids arrived. Add one Roku, a phone and two ipads, it tested the system really well.

Old 06-25-16, 02:10 PM
D
slow wifi

I had a Netgear R6400 and that is what went. It wasn't cheap and only 5 months old. Also having said that I am now running wireless through modem and it seems to be working. I am going to get a router tomorrow though. BTW I did a speed test both ways. Got 27ish MPS wireless (while working) and got a 90ish while wired.

Old 06-25-16, 02:51 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Consider yourself blessed. I am running Windstream at 12 Mbs and think I am in heaven. It's all we have. I don't see how you think that is "slow".

Old 06-25-16, 10:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
If the Netgear router was only five months old.... it should be under warranty.

Old 07-03-16, 05:12 PM
D
Take a look at the channel settings.