Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to format computer (Start with fresh)

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

04-19-01, 12:36 AM   #1  
Dear Sir,
Could U please tell me how to format computer (windows98)
that mean, how to remove everything from the computer and reinstall and start from the fresh including windows 98 etc.
I appreciate your reply,
Thanks.
gulu
email: [email protected]

Sponsored Links

CANADA

04-19-01, 07:07 AM   #2  
If the operating system works at all, then go to START/SETTING/CONTROL PANEL/
click on SYSTEM
click on DEVICE MANAGER
click on the + to expand listing on CD ROM, SOUND CARDS, DISPLAY ADAPTER, MODEM, ANY NETWORK CARDS, and write down everything you see listed here exactly word for word, it will help later in the event that windwos does not find the correct driver on its own. If you connect to the internet via a modem it will be a good idea to make sure that you have a driver cd or floppy before starting, you can get the latest driver from the internet if necessary.

You will need a start up boot floppy. If you have windows 98 go to START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/
Clcik on ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS
click on STARTUP DISK tab
put a blank floppy in drive and click CREATE DISK

now leave the floppy in the drive and reboot, whne asked select enable CD rom support, once fully booted confirm that you do indeed have CD ROM support, is your cd rom was D frive before, and the startup boot will make it E drive, one letter higher then before, the drive letter will change back once the system is installed.

Once you have confirmed cd rom is working, then type in...
at the dos prompt...
format c:/u (press eneter)
it will ask you to confirm --type Y
once formatted it will ask for a volume label, you can type something in if you wish or just press enter.

now type dir C:
the directory of C will appear, it will say file not found because the drive is empty but will also indicate bytes free which should be close to the size of the drive (if a single partition)

now type E: (press enter)(or whatever letter the cd rom is)
put the windows 98 cd in the cd rom.
type SETUP (press enter)
now follow the windows 98 prompts which will guide you thru the process. Have your CD KEY/SERIAL number for windows 98 handy as it will ask you for it.

Remeber when the drive is formatted absolutely everything wiped nothing is left behind.

Once the system is redone then you check if you sound card is working, correct display adapter drivers are in, install drivers for items windows did not find on its own.

One other item if windows 98 is an upgrade it will insist on seeing a qualifiying product before it will install, it a full version it won't ask questions.

make certain that the startup boot floppy does indeed inable the cd rom, if it doesn;t then repost back indicating the speed of the cd rom.

Any further clarification or questions just ask.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

04-20-01, 06:27 PM   #3  
On reformatting

As tedious as reformatting can get I found that instead of writing down everything that Device manager and other Control Panel folders I use the Print Screen key and paste to Paint. This has saved me quite a bit of time in preparing for reformatting. This also reduces transcription errors.

WI

04-23-01, 09:28 AM   #4  
Gee thats the easy way, I prefer to just type format C:, then fight for the next 3 days getting all the devices loaded back up, new drivers downloaded...etc. hehe.

Also if you run into problems, when doing the re-install keep a log of fixes so that the next time you run into the same problem you wont have to hunt the solution down. this alone will save you more time then you care to waste.

[Edited by BSB on 04-30-01 at 02:51]

Search this Thread