Dell E6530 seems to have an electrical short

Old 08-04-16, 09:16 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dell E6530 seems to have an electrical short

Hello All,

I have Dell E6530 laptop which has been normally very reliable. Today it seems to have developed an electrical short that gives me a definite zap when I touch the metal edge that goes around the laptop. I tried swapping out the power supply but that made no difference, so the problem is definitely in the laptop itself. I have worked with a lot of laptops in the past and this situation is a first for me.

Does anyone have any ideas on trying to track the source of the problem down? I am thinking that maybe the power socket in the rear of the laptop may have gotten bent out of shape but how does one go about testing for that? I am wondering if anyone has run into a similar situation in the past?

Old 08-04-16, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,175 Likes on 2,851 Posts
I can't answer your question directly but I understand what you are saying.

Your computer should use an inline power supply. Then it plugs into the back/side of the computer with low voltage..... probably 15-19vdc.

So technically high voltage does not get connected to your computer. Therefore a defective plug/jack is not your problem.

I have a Toshiba laptop that has a black carbon case.... no actual metal. Mine uses a 19vdc inline power supply. I also get a tingle when I touch ground and the computer case.

The only thing I've been able to figure out is it's an AC signal coming from the inverter circuitry inside the power supply.

Apparently Dell has addressed this situation...... Notebook TingleŁ Sensation: What's Going On?

Old 08-04-16, 10:02 PM
H
I think possibly the problem you are having is with static electricity. Usually a problem mainly in the winter but it can happen in the summer too. I have worked with older Dell laptops and static electricity has been a problem. If your adapter doesn't wiggle in its slot then I doubt very seriously that you have a short inside the laptop. I also have a used Toshiba laptop like PJmax and I occasionally feel a slight little shock from it too but not because of a bad connection from the power supply. My power supply also has a 3 prong plug too so it isn't that either.

Old 08-11-16, 08:24 PM
A
I don't think that the buzz I am getting is due to static electricity - the tingle/zap lasts way too long based on my experience. And all of my laptop power supplies are 3-prong grounded. Also, I did find that the link provided gave a lot of interesting information and a new perspective.
However, here is something that I realized afterwards - whenever I felt the tingle from the laptop, I had a specific generic 2-prong power cube plugged into the same power strip and charging my IPhone 4S. When the cube is not present or is not being used to charge the phone, there is no tingle from the laptop.
So, is it possible that the power cube is somehow causing some sort of power leakage onto the laptop?

Old 08-11-16, 11:22 PM
H
is it possible that the power cube is somehow causing some sort of power leakage onto the laptop
I kind of doubt that unless your IPhone is in close enough proximity to the laptop but they would really have to be touching. I charge my IPad on the same electric circuit as what some laptops have been connected to and I have received no shocks. Those laptops though have no metal showing like with my Toshiba so I assume I could possibly get a shock. I kind of doubt it though as I have used my IPad while it has been charging and have received no shocks from it. Also my Ipad is isolated from my laptop by a keyboard drawer while charging.

You could certainly do the same thing if you have an old computer desk and have no need for the keyboard tray. It certainly can't hurt if you isolate the two in any manner possible.

Old 08-12-16, 07:56 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Make 2 more tests. Try a different power strip. If there is no change, move everything to a separate circuit, in the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: