Laptop only works with OEM power supply?

Old 08-05-16, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laptop only works with OEM power supply?

My wife has an Asus laptop and last time we used our cottage she forgot the power adapter. "No problem" I'm thinking, I have at least a dozen 19V 3A laptop supplies laying around at work. Her laptop won't work with any I've tried. They're all various brand and off-brand 19VDC, 3.4A or more (what the Asus requires), correct plug and correct polarity.

Are they putting chips in power supplies now so you are forced to use the OEM?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-16, 04:01 PM
Are they putting chips in power supplies now so you are forced to use the OEM?
To my knowledge no they are not putting any chips in an Asus laptop to prevent you from using another power supply. However that being said not all adapters are the same. Some have a different polarity and some are a different voltage. Some have a different type of plug that will not prevent you from using a generic adapter but you may get a message that the adapters power supply doesn't exactly meet the needs of the laptop usually only seen in the laptops bios. Still though in those cases I usually have been able to use a laptop if the polarity on the adapter was right.

I have a use Toshiba that is being charged by an old HP power supply that was a bit beat up and needed a bit of repair, still though even though the voltage isn't quite right it still works. Obviously I wouldn't do that with a new laptop but with something old like my laptop I would. The only thing I can suggest is that you go to Asus website and buy a genuine laptop charger and see if that works. If it does then having a spare is always a good idea.

Old 08-05-16, 07:15 PM
Received 15 Votes on 12 Posts
Remove the battery from the laptop and test them again. Could be the problem isn't in the PSUs.

Old 08-06-16, 05:40 AM
Received 108 Votes on 99 Posts
Agree with Fred. Let the power supply re-charge the battery. It might take a few minutes (30 to 60 minutes) if the battery is OK.

Old 08-09-16, 10:15 AM
Went to the cottage this past weekend. As soon as the laptop was plugged into the Asus ps the yellow led started blinking--indicating it was charging. Got nothing with any of the others.

Still scratching my head why the laptop would care where its 19VDC comes from.

Old 08-10-16, 05:31 AM
Asus does have a power supply handshake for their tablets, so I wouldn't be surprised if they also do it for laptops.

Old 08-10-16, 07:38 AM
"Good morning Ralph"
"Good morning Sam"