What is the best network cable for wiring a home?

Old 11-03-16, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the best network cable for wiring a home?

I'm looking into wiring my home with ethernet cables. What are some of the best cables or brand that is as close to future proof as possible?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-16, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 375 Votes on 352 Posts
There is nothing that is future proof.

At this point if you want the best Ethernet cable you would use cat 6.
As far as brands.... no real preference. Actually.... the cable that comes out of the box easier is a plus as snags and kinks are detrimental to the data speed.

Handling and support of the cable is just as important for speed. No kinks, no sharp bends, no over tight staples, no over tight cable ties.

Old 11-03-16, 01:07 PM
Thank you for the response.

Old 11-03-16, 01:26 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I prefer running conduit instead of cable. You can use 3/4 inch ENT (plastic flexible conduit often called Smurf tube because it is blue) for runs containing a couple of Cat 5 or 6 cables plus two RG-6 coaxial cables and a Cat 3 (telephone only) to individual points where you might want them at some future date.

These would connect to increasingly larger PVC conduits all the way back to the "hub" where the modem, router(s), switches and video splitters are located. Then you only need to pull the cables you actually will be using rather than spending a huge amount of money up front, possibly running cable to a location you never use.

Old 11-04-16, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is conduit really needed for interior use? It seems to me that it would be extra cost.

Old 11-04-16, 06:28 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Conduit is probably not needed although in a crawlspace it will protect the cables from being chewed on by rodents. The reason for conduit is that it can be installed during construction, or retrofitted to places where you might want cables at a later time.

Using PVC conduit is FAR less expensive than running cables, especially multiple cables, to areas where you now think you might want service but in the end never use.

I doubt that I have even thirty bucks in my conduit whereas I would have had double or maybe even triple that had I run a full set of cables. Conduit also makes a MUCH nicer looking job AND it allows for changes in the future.

Old 11-05-16, 06:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I didn't know that rodents were in the equation.

Old 11-05-16, 08:49 AM
Sounds like conduit is much closer to "future proof" ask questions. However, I don't think in my current situations I'll need to install conduit because I have a small house with drop ceiling tiles that conduit will be overkill. But yes, thank you for the suggestions. I will have think about that once I have more than just ethernet cable that I need to run through the house.

Old 11-05-16, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 375 Votes on 352 Posts
Just as an aside for anyone considering the flexible conduit system and actually even those running cables in hard to get to areas..... as an electrician we pull a nylon string either thru the conduit or along with the cable. As new cables are pulled.... a new string is attached for future use. This works especially well over drop ceilings in that all the tiles don't need to be reopened to get cables across the ceiling.

We buy it in 6500' buckets but a small quantity is good for home use.
Klein Tools 500 ft. Pulling Line-56108 - The Home Depot

Old 11-05-16, 03:23 PM
Thanks, JPmax. That is a great idea...have not thought of that.

Old 11-07-16, 05:53 AM
Instead of drilling holes in the floor joists, is there something like a clip-on that holds the ethernet cable that I can just staple it to the floor joists?

Old 11-07-16, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Normally I will just use plastic staples designed for NM cable. Just be sure not pinch the cable with the staples. Another option is to use a ring like these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bridle-Ri...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 11-07-16, 08:06 AM
Thanks, Tolyn Ironhand. That's pretty good idea. That way, the cable is not tied down and move freely.

Old 11-08-16, 05:30 PM
Anyone know if cate 6 is able to provide power to some security cameras?

Old 11-08-16, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
IIRC both Cat 5 and Cat 6 can do PoE. The main difference between them is Cat 6 is twisted more.

Old 11-09-16, 05:51 AM
Thank you for the response.

Old 11-14-16, 08:30 PM
Go for stranded over solid, more flexible and easier to work with imo. No need to spend on shielded cable for home use.

If you're thinking of running phone lines, don't, run ethernet instead and just use 2 of the 4 pairs. That is a small way of future proofing - phone line now (or two), ethernet later if you want

Personally, it isn't something I would spend money on for my house, but plenum rated is also a consideration if you're worried about fire spreading through cable runs, especially if you're running between floors. It's rather expensive though.

Like others have said, cat5e/6/6e are all PoE capable.

Being realistic, you're probably not going to notice a difference between 5e and 6/6e in home use, but go got 6 anyway.