Windows7 Installation

Old 11-10-16, 01:32 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Windows7 Installation

My one year old DELL Inspiron15 laptop came with windows10 and I had enough with this OS so I got a windows7 pro 64 bit on a DVD and I was planning to wipe clean the HD and install the new OS.

The DELL laptop did not have a DVD so when we got the new laptop I bought an external Samsung USB which I used and worked fine without installing any drivers

The DVD boots to a screen which says “loading files”, then asks for the country and keyboard to be used, then I click on the next screen which says “Install now” and then a new screen comes and says “a required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver on a floppy or CD/DVD please insert it now”

Why it asks for this driver? I mean it reads the DVD fine since I went thru a few installation screens

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-16, 04:30 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What do you see in the device manager as far as USB drivers go or removable hardware? Have you gone to the Samsung site, to look for the driver?

Old 11-10-16, 05:08 AM
I’m doing a clean installation so the device mgr. does not exist yet. Under windows10 the usb DVD worked fine. Can’t locate a driver yet on the web

But my question is why it asks for the driver when it has already access the windows7 DVD. To me when a driver is needed you can’t access the device at all

Old 11-10-16, 05:55 AM
D
So you were able to get the machine to boot directly from the external USB DVD drive. That could mean that there were USB drivers in the Win7 install DVD but there weren't any DVD drivers for that device. If that's the case, try to copy the DVD to a USB stick & boot from that. That might eliminate the need for DVD drivers.

Old 11-10-16, 06:05 AM
I'm working on it and I'm sure it has nothing to do with any drivers. It must be a setting in the BIOS which interfers with the installation.

I didn't know you can copy a OS DVD to a USB

Old 11-10-16, 02:27 PM
D
I'm not sure if you can copy the DVD but it's worth a shot. The BIOS settings can determine the boot sequence but I don't see what it would have to do with drivers.

Old 11-10-16, 03:50 PM
Searching the web I discover that my problem is very common with a lot of “fixes” which works for some and it doesn’t for others. Unfortunately I belong to the others, so far…..

I was able to copy the OS to a USB, made it bootable and it worked up to the same point as my DVD. Obviously the error is an anomaly in windows7 installation because the error says that I’m missing a CD/DVD driver which make no sense since I’m using a USB

I keep trying and eventually, I hope, I will find a solution

Old 11-11-16, 04:10 AM
D
So it's a bug in the install disc. What fixes did you try? Is your HD big enough to make it dual boot? Then you can ignore Win 10 & use 7.

Old 11-11-16, 07:48 AM
I can’t ignore win10 and use 7 because as I mentioned I can’t install 7

However in a new twist I installed win7 using its DVD on a virtual machine in my desktop and it worked. In addition, the win7 DVD I have it has written on it “for installation on a new PC”

This means to me that I can only use this DVD on a machine which has no OS installed

I plan to erase win10 from the laptop using DOS commands at the command prompt but I wonder if anyone knows a utility (free) which will do this job better and faster

Old 11-11-16, 08:43 AM
P
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I don't think that "for installation on a new PC" requires the hard drive to be empty. Rather, it is in contrast to an "upgrade" version which requires that an earlier version of the OS already be installed before the new one.

- Peter

Old 11-11-16, 09:56 AM
I agree Peter but from all the web entries I found related to this win7 problem, all guys were upgrading from an existing system on their PC’s. Perhaps it’s a coincidence but I have no other option at the moment.

I could not use DOS commands to erase win10 so I tried to install XP PRO but now it says my BIOS is not ACPI compliant despite that I have unchecked almost all features in my BIOS. Now I’m looking into other options

Old 11-11-16, 03:16 PM
D
I don't think that you will get that driver error message, if you partition the HD, for a dual boot. If you are satisfied with the VM, leave it alone. Actually, I like VMs more than dual boot. If you still want a partition program, try gparted. It's free.

Old 11-12-16, 07:56 AM
Finally some success

I used an Ubuntu DVD I had and that did the trick. It reformat my SSD (had 5 partitions on it all created by win10) and now I only have 1 partition with Ubuntu installed.

It took less than 15 minutes for the whole installation and I’m very happy I got rid of win10 (the worst OS I ever encounter). If anyone wants to reformat a HDD / SSD don’t search for any other utility – just download an Ubuntu iso, make a DVD and use it to do whatever you want with your HDD and all instructions are clear and simple right there

Next step now is to install win7

Old 11-12-16, 03:20 PM
D
If I understand you correctly, you wiped Win 10 by installing Ubuntu. When you install Win 7, the HD will have to be formatted again. The install DVD should give you that option just before the actual installation starts. You still might get the same driver error. Use the USB drive instead of the external USB DVD drive.

Old 11-13-16, 12:42 PM
After a lot of failed attempts that’s what I did and it worked

I downloaded the free “Mini Tool Partition Wizard 9” and when I opened this program I can see my 500GB SSD and my 8GB USB stick I had copied the Windows7. ISO (I used the windows 7 DVD to make an image file)

Then there is command on the mini tool partition wizard to copy all contents of one disk to another and I choose to copy all USB into my SSD

Then I reboot and choose the SSD

Now the Windows7 install process started and keeping my fingers crossed I finally arrived at the installing window 7 screen, right now it says “setup is completing installation”

Perhaps my experience may save others wasting so much time

Old 11-13-16, 02:33 PM
D
So it seems like the installation is going well. When it is finally completed & you can use the OS without any problems, what are you going to do about the updates? Are you going to leave automatic updates enabled? When the win 10 upgrade was free, GWX (get windows 10) would automatically be downloaded. I don't know if that will still be in effect. That's exactly what you don't want.

Old 11-13-16, 04:06 PM
I want no updates.

In one of my desktops I have windows 8.1 for almost 2 years amd updates are OFF but once in a while I do go to updates and pick the ones I want. On that desktop I did get the GWX and when I noticed updates were automatic I remove, re format my SSD and re installed windows 8.1

Old 11-14-16, 03:22 AM
D
I didn't allow updates either on win 7. It's been at least 5 years.