Computer speaker system

Old 11-25-16, 05:13 PM
Received 69 Votes on 62 Posts
Computer speaker system

We have a Logitech powered sub woofer and speakers that started "ticking" very loudly last night.

We had to unplug and then I re-connected today and after a few minutes it started making the same noise again.

What I did was to plug the speakers directly into the computer (green plug), I get sound but it's very low. Would that be because the speakers were originally part of a powered system?

Just trying to confirm that the speakers are shot before buying something new!

I'll have to look, I may have an old set of non powered speakers laying around.

Up to today I was very happy with the sound quality of this set up!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-16, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What PC & OS do you have? Does it have a separate sound card or is it a chip on the mother board? Something tells me that it's not the speakers. If you have the correct cable, you can run the sound through your home stereo. The sound is much better.

Old 11-27-16, 04:49 AM
Received 69 Votes on 62 Posts
This is just the green jack in the back of the desktop computer.

Actually I tried the speakers and powered subwoofer on a laptop and seemed to work, put them back on the desktop and they worked but volume was not the same. 5 min later the clicking came back.

Going to put them back on the laptop for longer time but I now believe the powered speakers are toast!

Old 11-27-16, 05:41 PM
If the speakers worked on another system ok, you should test the computer's sound device.

Try plugging in another speaker or a set of headphones to the jack on the back of the computer and see if the problem exists on the other set too. It could be that something happened to the onboard sound card, or that the sound settings are somehow incorrect.

Also, if you haven't tried it yet, do a cold reboot of your computer (shutdown then turn back on).

If you find that the problem exists on anything you plug in there, you can either figure out what settings are wrong in the Operating System configuration or you can just get a cheapo sound card and put it in, if you are comfortable with that sort of thing.

Good luck!

Old 11-28-16, 04:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is just the green jack in the back of the desktop computer.
That didn't answer either of my questions.

Old 11-29-16, 04:04 AM
Did you recently put something new near the computer, speakers, or cables like a TV or monitor, tablet charger, cell phone charging station, external hard drive? Almost any electronic device will spew noise into an active (analog) system like that if it gets close enough.