EMachine T5082 with bad onboard video

Old 11-29-16, 06:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
EMachine T5082 with bad onboard video

Hello All,

My neighbor has an EMachine T5082 that is running Vista.
This morning the monitor went black. I tried installing an aftermarket video card but when I turn on the machine, I get the EMachine logo for about 1 second before it goes black again.
Do I have to physically turn off the onboard video in the cmos settings before it will recognize the video card or does it automatically recognize the video card? My problem is that with no video, I cannot even access the cmos settings to check this.
Does anyone know how to go about recovering from bad onboard video?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-16, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't be insulted but I have to ask. Did you connect the monitor to the correct port (horizontal)?
Did you try F8 & choose VGA mode? That way you can install the driver for the new card & disable the chip, in the device manager.

Old 11-30-16, 10:57 AM
No offence taken. The monitor was correctly connected.
The problem is that, with no output to the monitor, it is seemingly impossible to interact with the computer because we obviously need to see what is going on in order to be able to generate appropriate input. Interestingly, we are fairly sure that the computer is successfully booting up because we can hear the telltale chimes of a successful windows boot up.
We did notice that at some point in the boot up process, the famous EMachines logo flashed onto the screen for maybe a second or two, which might mean that there is the opportunity for output to hit the monitor, which in turn raises questions about why this signal (but not other signals) is getting through to the monitor.

Old 11-30-16, 04:13 PM
Shut down the PC completely. Turn it on. Don't wait to see anything on the screen. As soon as you press the button, tab the F8 key at one second intervals until you see a black screen with white letters. Use the arrow keys to highlight VGA mode & press enter. That should take you to the desktop.

Old 12-01-16, 06:14 PM
@ Donoli2016 - We did as you suggested but still the same problem - the screen won't stay on long enough for us to do any navigating. F8 and we could see a list of about 10 options but it was not on long enough. F2 and we could see the CMOS screen come up but the same problem - it wasn't on long enough to be able to navigate. I'm beginning to think we have a bad motherboard.
Any more ideas?
Oh, one more thing - if we do give up on this project, how doable is retrieving his hard drive information and writing it to another PC? He thinks that if he is able to get an exact clone of his Emachines, he will be able to easily transfer all of his files but I am not so sure about that as I have run into problems in the past when I tried to do something similar. I suspect that we will be able to transfer his unprotected files but all of his files encrypted by Windows might be lost to us.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 12-02-16, 06:02 AM
Try F8 again. When you first see the screen, press the escape key (esc) or maybe the pause key. That should hold the screen.

Yes, you can retrieve info from the HD by using a USB enclosure but try F8 again first.

Old 12-02-16, 08:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Had a friend with a similar problem. She'd already paid big bucks to a chain comp repair service but it still did it. Some of the fixes were bazar. To me it sounded like a thermal fault in the monitor. Hauled another monitor over to her house and with the new monitor it worked fine.

Old 12-02-16, 12:50 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Agree with ray2047; try another monitor. Many monitors will give some indication when no video signal is present. Have you checked?

Old 12-10-16, 06:21 AM
When we were originally trouble shooting the problem, I did try swapping out monitors but had no luck - we still had no video. So I set up a replacement pc for him and tried it with his old monitor but still no video. I swapped out monitors and bingo, it worked fine. So we thought that we had had a simultaneous failure of both monitor and on board video originally - not very likely in my opinion, but it can happen. And here is where it gets weird - we tried hooking up his old pc to the new monitor again just for the heck of it and bingo, it works fine now. Anyway, he is now a new convert. He is getting an external drive to back up all of those priceless pictures he took for granted before.