Fried PSU

Old 12-01-16, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Fried PSU

Ever hear of a HDD frying a PSU? Long story short I was having trouble with the computer freezing. Tested the HDD on an external power supply. It sparked but I thought it was the external power supply so plugged It back into comp PSU. I have to say the smoke was spectacular. Didn't think a HD could do that. Anyone else ever have that happen?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-16, 07:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I never saw that happen. The only strange thing that happened to me was I installed mismatched memory & it physically damaged the hard drive. No smoke.

Old 12-01-16, 07:46 AM
Group Moderator
I was surprised too but it melted/burned the insulation all the way to the PSU. I'm afraid to even try it again. I have backups so I'm not even going to test it again.

Old 12-01-16, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
No... I would not expect the hardrive to consume that much power.
Did you somehow get a four pin plug backwards ?

Old 12-01-16, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
Did you somehow get a four pin plug backwards ?
Is that even possible? If so would that cause a dead short? It was a PATA power connector. That could be it but it sparked off both the external power supply and the PSU, two different connectors.

Old 12-01-16, 03:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Those connectors are hard enough to connect as it is. I don't see how one can connect it backwards.

Old 12-01-16, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
I thought I left an for you.

Old 12-01-16, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Oh well I get an early Christmas present. Bought a used Dell so I can have some breathing room while fixing the one I fried. Now if I can keep my sanity till it arives. Surfing on a 7" tablet is driving me nuts.

Old 12-10-16, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
Warning Long

Well I thought I'd round this out. Had a pile of 20 pin PSUs in my junk room (yes I have too much for a junk drawer). I found out that my MB would work on a 20 pin even though the connector was 24 pin. Great it powered up. Put my back up HHD in and because it was SATA had to use a SATA power adapter. Good thing I did. It made a great fuse while I was trying to pull the power cord. The PSU was saved.

Glutton for punishment I dug out an old PATA drive really too small for a modern OS so no big sacrifice. Plugged it in to the same PSU that had just burnt up an adapter. As Gomer would say, "surprise! Surprise!" it worked no problem. Even managed to load an OS on it. I have to say I'm baffled. Two different power supplies two different HDDs burnt and a third HDD works just fine on a PSU that had just fried an adapter. It was still working fine 48 hours later when I switched to my new computer.

A real head shaker but I had also been having other problems. Seamonkey would start crashing until I rebooted though sometimes it would take two or more tries then it would work for days no problem. Chrome and Vivaldie would just stop opening after being opened a few times and I'd have to reboot. I'm blaming the mother board since both HDDs passed the Smart drive tests and Memtest found no problem though how the MB fries a HDD is beyond me.

Have my favorite OS on a Dell Optiplex now and no problems with the browser even though they have been loaded many times so that seems to rule out OS. (And yes I had reinstalled the OS on the problem computer but the browser problems continued.)

Last edited by ray2047; 12-16-16 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-16-16, 04:11 AM
A short is a short. Without a sacrificial protective component like a fuse, resistor, diode, or v-reg, any device can draw in excess of a supply's ampacity. The first thought is, "meh - it's low voltage" and the second thought is, "wow -- it's really burning!"