I'm getting a bit fed up with my new PC.

Old 12-16-16, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm getting a bit fed up with my new PC.

More accurately some of the things WIN 10 is doing I guess.

First of all, I'm not reverting to 7 or anything. I just got rid of my XP PC cause the changes in the web and my limited memory just made it a relic. My much better old PC was having conniption fits for some reason and I was in no mood or physical condition to troubleshoot. So this new/refurbished PC from Ebay is what I'm using. Really a good deal. I-5 cpu, 8megs ram, Nvidia graphics card with 1 meg ram DVI/HDMI/VGA outputs, very capable for me. And only $169 tax free, shipped for free from OH. 1 year parts warranty, 1 year telephone help, 30 day free return, etc. Better than some new ones selling for double the price.

Problem 1
Here's the first most annoying issue. I have changed every setting I can find about sleep for the display and PC (30 min and never respectively) and no matter what I do, it still shuts off and goes to sleep after about 5 min. I've changed the settings in System-Power and that carries over to every other place I know to look. The only way I can keep it awake is to put in a CD or put Youtube music on autoplay. I think it shuts off after 30 min then, I know it's longer than 5.
Any hints?

Problem 2
Occasionally the HD will be getting max usage. Normally right after I wake it up, but sometimes I'm just browsing or reading the local news and it starts screaming. CPU usage is also a bit higher, but just a few percent. I remember this as something to so with tasks and sure enough, when I looked I'll see some "Service Host: Local Service (xx)" doing the dirty work. Stop that service after all the warnings and everything is normally fine for the rest of that session. I know it's probably just one of the processes in that service that's causing it, but I'm not seeing a way to check. I've tried some of what I read on other Forums but it seems like nothing is permanent. Can't turn off auto update for W10 from what I understand since they push fixes downstream. Have all my other programs set to notify me of updates.

I hate not to just let it do it's thing, but that much activity all the time can't be a good thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-16, 03:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
I was using Windows 10 just about when the first tech preview came out and I liked it quite a bit. As it evolved, I found I had less and less control such that I was not a fan by the time it came out in general release. If I had wanted to have this little control over a computer, I would have bought something from Apple.

Old 12-17-16, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I think some of it's the learning curve. I did like XP the best and liked Win 7 better than Win10 but after a year or so I've gotten used to it.

My screen goes dark after 5-10 minutes [just move the mouse or touch a key to wake up] but I have to be away for 20-30 minutes before it goes to sleep. I've not touched any settings on mine other than to enlarge the print.

Old 12-17-16, 05:52 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Save your money and get a Mac. I hated apple for years. Very skeptical and the price scared me away for years. But in 2013 I purchased my first apple desktop. It's an all in one 27in screen. You take it out of the box plug in the computer and put the batteries in the mouse and keyboard and turn on the computer. No wires except for the power cord.

I don't even have anti-virus on the computer and have yet to have an issue.

I see it this way...my previous Windows PC's lasted at the most 4 yrs. Plus when the new windows came out you have to buy them. Apple...it's a free iOS update to the newer version. Yes I spent $1800 but it will last 3 times as long as a windows pc. If not longer.

Not a salesman...but an avid apple user. I hope you get it all figured out but recommend switching. Good Luck

Old 12-17-16, 05:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Vic, I'm like Mark in that the screen will go dim or to screen saver after a prescribed time and go to sleep in 30 minutes. I like that. If you are just staring at a screen it will go off. If you are typing, or moving a mouse it will stay up. What prompts you not to like the sleep feature?

I was a staunch XP user and felt it was a conspiracy to move to 7, 8, 8.1 or 10. Since I have been with 10 for a year or so, I find it to be very manageable. I don't know what "control" stick lost, but it works great for me. It took several months for me to personalize it the way I wanted it.

Old 12-17-16, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My computer upgraded to 10 against my will. It's OK though.
That said I will look into the 5 minute issue, I'm far from expert but have been through it before.

I avoid Windows going into sleep mode. It's not just 10, it started long ago. You would have to write a book about all the problems you can have with sleep.
It's fine to have the monitor sleep after whatever time, but my CPU is running always or it's turned off.

Old 12-17-16, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Save your money and get a Mac. Yes I spent $1800 but it will last 3 times as long as a windows pc.
Yeah...that's a great option. The least DIY computer out there.
I have had my computer that I built for 6 years, paid about $500 for the components, not counting my duel monitors which you can't even run on many Macs. I doubt your Mac will last 18 years.

I have just went through the same issue on your problem #2 just yesterday. I tried many options from changing the virtual memory file size to turning off all the notifications. What helped for me was turning off "Superfetch" and "Windows Search" You have to disable some services and change some registry keys. Here's how:

Services:
Press and hold windows key and press "r"
Type "services.msc"
Right click Superfetch
Click Properties
Choose startup type: Disabled

Right click Windows Search
Click Properties

I did not do this, but the video below suggested to disable the Background Intelligent Transfer Service which is part of Windows update. If you want to do it, follow the same procedure.
Right click Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Click Properties

Edit Registry:
Press and hold Windows key and press "r"
Type regedit.exe
Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click SYSYEM
Click CurrentControlSet
Click Control
Click Session Manager
Click Memory Management
Click PrefetchParameters
Right click EnablePerfetcher
Click Modify
Change Value data to 0

Right click EnableSuperfetch
Click Modify
Change Value Data to 0

Note: Read the text at this part of the video. He changed it to 1 but found 0 gave better results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mbrw1x0LzU

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 12-17-16 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-17-16, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
The biggest complaint I have is the automatic updates and it's more of a problem at work than at home - we use virtual machines at the office and often will revert to a saved state in time (snapshot) but not be able to use it since the machine then has to immediately download and install all of the updates from that time until now. We waste a lot of time sitting around waiting for something we used to be able to turn on and off at will.

Old 12-17-16, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks everyone...like I said, I won't be switching or downgrading anything, I just didn't know where to look. Thx TI esp for addressing the HD issue, I'm sure you are on track.

It's not that I mind the sleep issue, but I want to be able to go make a sandwich, or find a paper I need w/o having to come back and go through the wake up process. That's why it's currently set at never but 30 min is normally plenty. Unfortunately, it has no effect on the actual time it stays awake. I hate to go bother the guy in the shop down the street, he's been real nice about other questions, but I feel like I should start paying him...lol. He detests W10 anyway (almost as much as Vista), and he was a computer science major and worked in the industry for years before coming here.

Old 12-17-16, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
Personally, I like Windows 10. Everything is there from Windows 7/8 (not a fan of 8) it is just hidden. I have to search for what I am looking for.

You didn't say, is this a desktop or laptop computer?

Old 12-17-16, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Desktop, full tower refurb HP 8100. I've had enough of small desktops and forget laptops. My shaky fingers can't even use a touch pad right and the itty-bitty no tactile feedback keyboards are useless. The place I got it from is one of the largest authorized refurb companies around. Last I saw they had sold over 600 of these things.

Old 12-18-16, 06:02 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I guess posting an opinion gets people fired up. lol

Just saying in almost 4 yrs that I have had it, there hasn't been a single problem.

Old 12-18-16, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Not fired up, just tired of the same comment from Mac people anytime there is an issue with a PC computer. "Get a Mac", It is not helpful.

@ GunGuy - I have found lots of info about Windows going to sleep to soon online. Have you tried adjusting the screen saver setting? Try this:

Right click on an empty area of the Desktop and select Personalize. Click the Screen saver link in the bottom right. In the following window you can adjust the time before the screensaver kicks in the 'Wait' dropdown menu. If you don't want to have to sign-in after this, also remove the tick from the box next to 'On resume, display log-on screen'. Click Apply, then Ok to save the setting change.

Info found here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...o/td-p/3561795

Old 12-18-16, 06:52 AM
gunguy, I'm just starting to use Win 10 but from experience with other windows, I have found that when settings don't stay set, it's because you have to do it as administrator & not as user. Google enable administrator Windows 10. As administrator, change the setting.

Old 12-18-16, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
donoli, I'm the only user and am the Administrator.

Old 12-18-16, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
TI, I don't have the exact same window you describe (no link at bottom right), but I used the find a setting search box and I already have no screen saver selected, thus no wait time or log-in.

Oddly, even though I haven't really done anything with the settings you listed earlier, it seems to be acting the way it should right now. I've been off and on since noon and I think the only time I've had to log in was the initial wake up. Haven't really been keeping track though, doing 3 things at once since I slept in.

Old 12-19-16, 04:39 AM
donoli, I'm the only user and am the Administrator.
That's where it gets confusing. It's not the same. Open a command prompt & run
net user administrator /active:yes
Then switch users.

Old 12-19-16, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
Vic - donoli may be correct, as there is a difference between being an administrator and logging in with the ID Administrator.

Old 12-19-16, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Well, the "net user administrator" thing does nothing that I can tell. The command prompt vanishes after I type it in and hit enter, then when I go to task manager to switch users I'm still the only option. Doesn't matter at this point anyway. Apparently after several updates and restarts, the sleep and display functions are working as they should. I tried several restarts (after I installed some things) before I originally wrote this question but they had no effect.

Old 12-19-16, 03:00 PM
If you want to try it again, type cmd in cortana, right click on it when it finds it, at the top & left click run as administrator. Then run the command.

Old 12-19-16, 03:07 PM
Group Moderator
The actual executable is in the Windows\System 32 folder and you can right click it there to Run as administrator as well.

Old 12-19-16, 04:12 PM
That's correct.

Old 12-19-16, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, that created an Administrator account. Still not sure why I need it or what the difference is. It had to go through the whole start-up like it did when I first fired it up, so I would have to go spend a bunch of time making it look like what I wanted and getting rid of junk I'll never use. The power settings carried over, so it looks like that is resolved. Now I'll try setting sleep to a reasonable time and see what happens.

So why did I need it exactly?

Old 12-20-16, 05:27 AM
So why did I need it exactly?
For some strange reason, being in the administrator group doesn't have the same permissions as being logged in as administrator. It could be due to security concerns. In any OS, it's better to run as a user & only use administrator (Windows) & root (Unix & Linux) when it's absolutely needed.