Inspiron 1500 No Power

Old 12-30-16, 03:48 PM
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Inspiron 1500 No Power

I wonder if anyone knows anything about the Dell Inspiron 1500 laptops problem having no power when you push the power ON switch. Mine started in early December when I was pressing the ON button and I had to hold it for a few seconds to turn ON the laptop and now no matter how long I hold the button the laptop is dead. Before I just touched the botton and power was ON

Reading on the Web I found thatís a common problem and I follow the suggestions given (remove the battery etc.) and the laptop remains dead

My warranty expired Dec-05-16

Old 12-30-16, 07:36 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What happened when you tried another power supply?

Old 12-30-16, 07:48 PM
I dont have another PS and dont want to buy one until I know the problem first. But after I remove the battery I plug the AC adapter and still the laptop is dead. Thats a no good sign to me

Old 12-31-16, 04:37 AM
D
Another power supply or whatever you want to call it, is needed to properly diagnose the problem. Best Buy was selling universal power supplies (Dynex) for $29.99. I think the cheapest is $49.99 now. In the meantime, make sure that all 4 connections are tight. Sometimes the AC cable is loose on either side of the box.

Old 12-31-16, 06:51 AM
Next week I will call Dell and see if they will honor the warranty.

Old 12-31-16, 10:49 AM
F
Received 48 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Battery faults can mess with booting. Try it with the battery removed.

Old 12-31-16, 11:17 AM
Dell has a procedure to follow about this problem and among is to try with the battery removed. But they don’t say what to do after I follow the procedure and the laptop is still dead. I believe is the switch but it’s so flimsy I'm afraid to mess with it

Old 01-01-17, 04:47 AM
D
Can you test the power supply with a digital meter? No matter what you think it is, that's the first step.

Old 01-01-17, 08:04 AM
You are right donoli now I got it, the PS may have the light ON when I plug it to wall but perhaps it produces no DC volts and therefore my battery is dead and when I connect the PS to the laptop perhaps there is no volts to power the laptop. Sorry I misunderstood

I checked the PS and it does produce 19.5VDC, so the problem is inside the laptop

Old 01-01-17, 08:17 AM
G
With your description of the switch getting progressively intermittant I bet it's the switch not the PS.

Failing being able to test the power supply with a multimeter, power switches on pc's are a common source of failure.

Users that use advanced power managrment to suspend and put the computer to "sleep" rather than powering off will get longer life from a switch. Moving a mouse or hitting a key to wakeup the machine can extend the life of a power switch indefinitely.

Unfortunately once a switch is bad, there's nothibg you can do but let the computer maker handle it as most PC "techs" are insufficiently trained or equipped to repair just the switch, especially on laptops which all have VERY unique ways to open for servicing.

Breakage of plastic parts by someone inexperienced on a particular model is also a danger so I recommend sending it home for a once over.

Old 01-01-17, 08:29 AM
I totally agree gnappi, the laptop will go back home after the holidays

Old 01-01-17, 05:13 PM
D
I checked the PS and it does produce 19.5VDC, so the problem is inside the laptop
Now that you know that the PS is good, demand a new laptop under the warranty or at least a free repair.

Old 01-10-17, 01:58 PM
Finally I was able to speak with someone at Dell and bottom line is since I reported the incident 1 week after my warranty expire day there is nothing they can do to fix the laptop without spending extra $$$. In addition, after answering some questions the guy concluded that is the motherboard creating the problem and it will cost $450.00 + shipping charges to fix it.

So much for Dell, I will never touch them again

Now I got to retrieve some important staff from my hard disk and I wonder if anyone knows how. The laptop HD has a tiny plug plugging into the laptop MB, is it possible to connect this plug to a desktop PC and access the HD? Most likely the voltage is different between the laptop and the PC so I don’t know. Any ideas?

Old 01-10-17, 02:14 PM
D
is it possible to connect this plug to a desktop PC and access the HD?
I've done it many times. Buy an external USB HD enclosure. Make sure that it will handle all types of drives.

Old 01-10-17, 05:35 PM
Z
Received 87 Upvotes on 81 Posts
since I reported the incident 1 week after my warranty expire day there is nothing they can do to fix the laptop without spending extra $$$.
That is outrageous. I wonder if you went a little higher up the chain at Dell and talk to an actual decision maker they might do something. Maybe an actual letter of complaint would get them to do something. You are probably talking to a low level employee who thinks his hands are tied. Only one week out of warranty and they refuse. That canít be right and good for business.

Just a thought! Good luck!

Old 01-10-17, 07:54 PM
The fact that the Dell guy knew after a few questions that my motherboard is gone shows that Dell is aware of the problem. In addition there are many complains on the web with Inspiron laptops (but not with the same model as mine) for the same problem and I’m considering legal action, not only for the money but mainly for the attitude. In my town with have what’s called small claims court and for free you can describe to the judge the problem and if he decides that there is a case he will summon Dell to court.

Has anyone tried to contact Dell? If it’s for a sale they answer almost immediately but for anything else good luck. The person I talked today was for the sale/extension of warranties. You can also talk to a technician but first you must buy time. The good old days of Dell are gone!

I will look for a USB HD enclosure, thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: