cable staple spacing for cat6 on ceiling drywall?

Old 01-02-17, 08:37 PM
cable staple spacing for cat6 on ceiling drywall?

Hi. Is there a recommended distance between staples for supporting a single cat6 cable installed on the ceiling on drywall? I want to keep it neat. Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-17, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
No. How's that ?

Actually staples aren't usually used on data cables as hitting the cable will change it's data transfer ability. Cable ties when used on data cables must be used carefully so that the cable is not squished.

You'd want to use something like this....
Name:  cable staple.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  3.0 KB

Old 01-02-17, 09:18 PM
PJmax, that's what I was referring to. Sorry, I see them called "cable staples" everywhere I've looked. Anyway, using something like that I wanted to know a recommended spacing for a horizontal run on the ceiling and for vertical run down a wall.

(Looking back on that I suppose a ceiling run is generally by definition a horizontal one.)

Old 01-02-17, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
My bad.... yes.... those are also called staples. I thought you were referring to RX staples.

There really isn't any recommendation on distance. The cables should be run and fastened in a neat and orderly method.

Old 01-03-17, 06:39 AM
Upvotes Received: 3
Securing Cable

Use PJmax's suggested "staple" with a longer nail. The nails furnished will not hold in drywall. You need a longer nail to reach through the drywall and into a wood framing member such as a ceiling joist.

Old 01-03-17, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 8
I usually affix (staple or otherwise) about every 3'. There's no real harm in having loops if you only staple every 6-8', but I find it looks messy and is an invitation to use it as a hanger.

Old 01-03-17, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys, I'll see how it goes. My garage ceiling has a double layer of drywall so I'll either try for some long nails or put them more at shorter intervals to reduce the load.

Old 01-04-17, 04:22 AM
If it's in a garage I would put it in either Wiremold or PVC pipe to protect it. It looks a whole lot better too.