Best way to hook up wifi camera in hotel room?

Old 01-09-17, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to hook up wifi camera in hotel room?

I am traveling with my dog, and would like to leave her in the hotel for a few hours but i want to be able to check on her. I have a wifi camera but it connects to my home router. I am not sure how i would configure it to the hotel network.

Also i have a laptop i can use its camera but i want to be able to turn the camera off and on and view only when needed.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-17, 07:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
First, I have a question. If you see the dog doing something problematic, are you going to immediately return to the hotel, call for help or do something else? I don't see the value of the camera.

You didn't mention the make & model of the camera but I imagine that you would have to follow the same configuration procedure to connect to the hotel network.

Old 01-09-17, 09:13 PM
I am more worried about someone trying to take her. She's a brown/white beagle (not tri color) only 3yrs old and I paid about $1500 for her; I couldn't imagine life with out her.

I have a dlink one 360 swivel/night vision one.. I just need a way to make sure she's alright even if it's through the laptop off and on.

Something about a bunch of people having access to the room while we are away doesnt sit well with me.. and i obviously can't bring her with me everywhere, so just looking to see options for a camera. Hotel networks usually make you log in through their webpage to access the internet once connected to their network.

Old 01-10-17, 05:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You are probably correct about the possibility of the dog disappearing from the hotel room. Even if you caught it on camera, the chances of finding the dog are slim to none. I lived in Florida for a year. On the way there & back, I only stayed in Holiday Inns. The day before I left, I had bought a travel bottle of mouth wash. After breakfast on the morning of my departure, I went back to my room to brush my teeth & get my things. When I reached for the mouthwash, there was only about an inch left, in the bottom of the bottle. I thought that it had leaked but the bottom of the bag was dry. It took sometime to realize what happened. One of the staff must have been alcoholic & drank it or poured it through a loaf of bread, to filter it in order to get the pure alcohol.

Hire a local dog sitter. Forget about the camera. If you still want to use it, there was a recent thread about connecting a camera. Maybe someone can link you to it. If I find it, I'll post the link.

Old 01-10-17, 08:41 PM
I don't think this is going to work. You might be able to get the camera working on the hotel network but I think you will find that if there is no activity or sometimes even if there is activity, after about 15 minutes or so most hotels will kick you off the network and you have to sign in again.
Otherwise people would be signing on and not off and bogging down the network. It probably varies with every hotel, depending upon how or who set up the guest network.

Anyway, the best you could hope for is that while you were watching, someone did something. Otherwise, .......... now you see the dog and the next time you look in ........ you don't. What then?

Also, practically speaking ...... Just because YOU like to have the dog with you when you travel doesn't mean that the dog is not stressed by all of the strange places you take it and by leaving it alone in a strange room.

If you're really concerned about the dog .......... leave the dog at home in the care of someone you know and trust is the best advice I can think of for you and particularly for the dog.
Dogs are not people. You can be absolutely sure that there's nothing in the dog's genealogy or evolutionary path that could prepare it for being left alone in a strange hotel room.

Old 01-11-17, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Jimmiee, what you say is not always true. I haven't had a dog but I've traveled East Coast to West Coast and back with multiple cats. A couple were great, laid on the dash or the package shelf and made themselves at home wherever we stayed. A couple of others were petrified and would hide as soon as they were out of their carriers. I will say, we never left them completely alone. And these weren't raised that way from kittens, they just were what they were.

I think a dog who has done this since a pup would have no problems. I've known plenty of people who traveled in RVs and they said leaving them alone, when they had to, wasn't any bigger of a deal then at home. To some dogs, human contact for just a short period of time per day (dog sitter) or boarding (caged up) or going to someone else's house could be more traumatic I would imagine.

I completely agree on the technical problems though. I also know many places only give you a limited time, say...2 hrs, for the connection fee. Better places are unlimited free, but might still boot you I guess. Ex worked at a BW Plus and WiFi was free. You even got a cable to plug in if you wished. Once signed in, you were in til you signed out. She knows, she took her laptop in a few times and never got booted.

Ideally, the OP would need a cam that tracked movement, could be set for exposure times (every 5 sec, 2 sec, video mode if movement detected, etc.) or lower res streaming I would think, that and find out what the network setup is like where they stay.

Old 01-12-17, 10:33 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you have a laptop w/camera setup in the hotel room, you may be able to use Teamviewer to connect to the laptop at the hotel and view what the laptop has on it's screen. You have to leave the camera playing on the laptop and disable screen savers and power saving settings.

You can download and use Teamviewer at Teamviewer.com. And the last time I looked, if you use it for personal use, not for a business, it's free.