NTLDR missing

Old 01-19-17, 11:18 AM
Received 73 Votes on 68 Posts
NTLDR missing

Last week my main desktop computer shut down as I was using it. Restarted and it was fine. Few days later it would not boot up. I tried the media creation disk in an effort to repair but no such luck. Removed hard drives (2 Seagates 1 TB ea, one for OS and the other for programs and data) and tried accessing them from my laptop. Using adapter cables I was not able to even get the drives to power up. But after fooling with them enough they did power up and I was able to see and access the contents. Re-installed the drives and the system boot up as normal. Shut it down and repeated started up. All was normal. This morning I get the NTLDR missing error. removed power and data cables and re-inserted several times.
Again after enough starting and stopping, I managed to get the unit up and running and all seems normal.

Is it a power to the drive problem?

Bad cables connections at the drives?

Bad cables?

Bad power source?

Corrupted boot sector?

Corrupted data on disks. (but both at the same time?)

Corrupted windows installation?

When I built this unit I bought the best OCZ power supply with plenty of extra wattage that is never used. I think the system is about 7 to 10 years old.

So now I'm tempted to leave the computer on 24/7 but I hate to do that as a waste of energy and not being able to to updates (as in restarts).

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-17, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Could be any of those things and more. I'd start by making a backup!

Look at the system log for any helpful hints.

Seagate has free disk test software; I suggest running that:

SeaTools | Seagate

I'd make a copy of

Ntldr
Ntdetect.com
Boot.ini

on a thumb drive or something in case you get the NTLDR error again.

What OS are you running?

Old 01-19-17, 02:46 PM
Running Win 10 64 bit.

Where are those files located? Can't seem to search for them.

Old 01-20-17, 03:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Google fix mbr & follow the instructions.

Old 01-20-17, 04:28 AM
Tried that, no go.

From a cold start the error shows up. Do restart and the system boots up fine.

I'm stumped.

Old 01-20-17, 10:55 AM
If it's booting ok now, don't do anything.

If you need to boot with a boot disc to repair the MBR & it didn't work, you may need to go into the BIOS & set the boot sequence to DVD first.

Old 01-20-17, 07:49 PM
This is what my screen looks like on a cold start:

Edit Windows boot options for: Windows 10

Path: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Partition: 1
Hard Disk: 8a1205ef

[
/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN ]

ENTER=Submit_______________________________________ ESC=Cancel

If I hit enter it will boot up and run normal

donoli2016, I tried the FIX MRB several times with no change. I've changed the boot sequence to DVD and to HDD and no change. It does not seem to make a difference which drive is first.

I can live with the double start sequence, but it don't seem right and I would like to get it back to normal. BTW...Going into Hibernate mode makes no difference. Haven't tried Sleep mode.

Old 01-21-17, 04:38 AM
It does not seem to make a difference which drive is first.
If it doesn't make a difference, there is something wrong with the DVD or the drive itself. It doesn't look like it's bootable. Where did you get it? Can you try it in a different machine? It should boot any machine.

Old 01-21-17, 05:10 AM
donoli2016,

Seems like I always have a negative answers to your suggestions.

I also tried a USB DVD drive. I did not try to boot up another computer with the hard drive. I could try that, but it will take time to cobble up the various parts from my electronic junk pile.

This system is a self built system and I'm using two Seagate 1TB drives (C & D). I has a GIGABYTE mother board. It's about 8 years old and pretty much has run error free for all that time. When I started to build this system, I considered using SSD drives but at the time they did not seem reliable or cheap enough. If I was to build another I used SSD drives.

Old 01-21-17, 08:07 AM
If you aren't getting the NTLDR missing error any more but still want to check the file system, run chkdsk. It has to be run from from an admin command prompt. You can also download combofix & run that.

"Even in Windows 10, the CHKDSK command is run via the Command Prompt, but we'll need to use administrative privileges to properly access it. To launch a Command Prompt as an Administrator, press the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + X to bring up the power users menu, then let go of those two keys and tap the A key." Then run chkdsk.

In the meantime, run diskmgmt.msc & tell me what you see.

Since you have 2 drives C & D, is the D drive a slave? Look in the BIOS, if you don't know. What drive letter does the DVD drive have? What motherboard is in the PC? Since you built the system, you should have the CD that came with it. Sometimes, I recommend setting the BIOS back to defaults but do that at your own risk, since it's not an OEM machine.

First, from the run box: diskmgmt.msc - Tell me what you see
2) Go back into

Old 01-21-17, 07:04 PM
Donoli,

I forgot about the CHKDSK command. Good idea.

This afternoon on two tries the system booted up OK. Maybe my multiple attempts at the FIX MBR site that you gave me fixed the problem.

The results from the chkdsk:

Windows has checked the file system and found problems.
Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

I'm running the scan as I post this note.

To answer your other questions, the C drive is my operating system and I use the D drive for data, downloads and misc. If I load a program I usually let it install in the C drive as default. CD (DVD) drives are E & F).

Results from CHKDSK /Scan:

Windows has found problems that must be fixed o
Please run chkdsk /spotfix to fix the issues.

I'll run spotfix at the next start-up.

Old 01-21-17, 07:07 PM
Here is the disk mngt view

Old 01-21-17, 07:10 PM
Start-up this evening. Same problem. Restart and it boots up.

Old 01-22-17, 10:43 AM
Did spotfix do anything? Has the missing NTDLR file error disappeared completely?

Try combo fix.

&/or

Run msconfig.exe Go to the startup tab, click disable all, click apply, ok, reboot. Tell me what happens.

Old 01-22-17, 12:32 PM
No change. I guess I'll with the double start each boot up.

Old 01-22-17, 10:57 PM
The last 3 possible suggestions that I have is restore the BIOS to defaults or try a restore point or access the partition, for a clean install. You choose the order in which you want to try them, if at all. No matter what, backup all your files first.

Old 01-23-17, 05:10 AM
Donoli,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. This morning it booted up straight away.

All my data is backed up in two different places, both off and on-line. I have never backed up my system in all the years of computer use. Not for lack of trying but I never found any program convenient to use. My current system doesn't quite have enough memory. I currently am operating with default BIOS settings, but I'll try to reset them again. Beyond that I don't think I'll bother with a re-install unless I cannot boot up at all.

I'm still contemplating the build of a new system from scratch. I won't be cheaper but I will get exactly what I want and the experience is fun. Plus it will get me up to date about the latest computer equipment.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Old 01-23-17, 08:29 AM
Are you sure that the BIOS is at default? Also, I wanted to ask how the D drive is connected? Is it on the second connector on the ribbon cable? How is it marked, in the BIOS? You never mentioned a G drive but it's there in diskmgmt.

If you feel like building a new machine, go for it.

Old 01-23-17, 02:53 PM
D drive is being data driven direct from the mother board on it's own data cable . The two drives share only the power cable. The D drive is labeled as a separate device and not slaved from the C drive.The other drives are micro SD drives or USB thumb drive.

As far as a new computer goes, that will take a back burner now. Just got a auto repair bill for $2100.00. It's always something!

Old 01-27-17, 07:28 AM
I know you've put this on the backburner but a search for ntlds missing windows 10 lead me to the following https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-900fec262675

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 or was it a clean install, you do mention it's an old computer so it leads me to believe that it's an upgrade, either XP or maybe even 7? Per the reply on that thread, NTLDR is a file only used to boot XP. There's a suggestion to use diskpart and they provide links.

You said everything is backed up, so as long as you're not afraid of getting dirty just go for it, if it fails the worst that can happen if a clean install which you'll be better off (with the exception of re-installating programs)

good luck.

Old 01-28-17, 09:14 AM
ceez97

Yes, everything seems to be running fine now. And yes this home built computer is a Win 10 upgrade from XP/Win7/Win8/Win8.1. I'm leaving well enough alone.

However, I just bought a WD MYdrive (3TB) as a backup and is compatible with my WDMy Cloud 4TB drive. I finally took down my server (win 2000). That thing is still running 24/7/365 and I only had one shutdown due to some stupid malfunction that I can't recall.

Depending on my motivation, perhaps I'll still build that computer later on.

Old 01-28-17, 09:37 PM
Thumbs up

wow you're really taking advantage of the once XP box! If the system is good enough for you now and you're familiar with installing windows (And you have the full install disc for wn10) then you might as well go for the clean install and save the money on that new build.

Old 01-29-17, 06:45 AM
(And you have the full install disc for wn10)
No I do not have a Win 10 full install disk. In the past I always had full installs of the OS. I have an opportunity to get a full install Win 10, at no cost (and legal, I might add) but my understanding is that the codes change with each update and I won't be able to get those codes in a reasonable manner. I'll skip the full install disk.

That's part of the reason I finally gave in and bought the 3TB drive.

Old 02-03-17, 09:35 AM
Norm –

This is a little late but I noticed something about the Disk Management screen is post #12. It looks like you need both disks to boot up the system. I don’t know if that’s what you wanted.

The “System Reserved Partition”, which is marked as “System” and “Active”, contains the boot files and is on Disk 0, while the C: Partition, marked as the “Boot” partition, contains the Windows System Files and is on Disk 1.

(Microsoft calls the partition with the Boot files the “System” partition, and the partition with the OS System Files the “Boot” partition. To me that seems totally backwards and confusing, but I think that’s the real story.)

I think that could have happened if you installed W10 with both disks connected. Don’t know whether this has anything to do with the original problem - which seems to have disappeared though.